SLEEP

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Between 1 AM and 3 AM

BETWEEN 1 AM AND 3 AM: This time frame is associated to the energy meridian of the liver and the Chinese medicine body clock. If you are brought awake naturally at this time, it signifies problems of anger and an excess of the yang energy in your body. Try anger management techniques so that your sleep is not disrupted. Immediately, you can have cold water and think about what made you angry during the day and try to settle with it.”

Runenight201

“Between 1 AM and 3 AM

BETWEEN 1 AM AND 3 AM: This time frame is associated to the energy meridian of the liver and the Chinese medicine body clock. If you are brought awake naturally at this time, it signifies problems of anger and an excess of the yang energy in your body. Try anger management techniques so that your sleep is not disrupted. Immediately, you can have cold water and think about what made you angry during the day and try to settle with it.”

Feeling called out after just waking up at 3 AM 😳

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I am falling asleep very easy lately bag breathing before bed….

“Carbon dioxide regulates water, minerals, energy and cellular stability, excitation, and efficiency.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Life is a condition alternating between excitation, destruction
and unbalance, and reorganization, equilibrium and rest." -Rat Peat quoting Kurt Goldstein

Runenight201

Ha! Ha! Ha! Did you drink your cold water and think about what made you mad? :D

I actually did drink some cold water lol and it helped but no when I wake up in the middle of the night my main emotion is usually existential despair. My new mattress helps a lot it’s not emitting all those VOCs and it’s a very good firmness for me, but still having sleep issues. There’s almost certainly a nutritional problem I am just not getting enough of the correct calories to stay asleep 💢

David PS

For many hormones, sleep curtailment in young healthy subjects results in alterations strikingly similar to those observed in healthy old subjects not submitted to sleep restriction.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I actually did drink some cold water lol and it helped but no when I wake up in the middle of the night my main emotion is usually existential despair. My new mattress helps a lot it’s not emitting all those VOCs and it’s a very good firmness for me, but still having sleep issues. There’s almost certainly a nutritional problem I am just not getting enough of the correct calories to stay asleep 💢
I am glad you switched mattresses. That is gonna make long term health improvements. My best advice for good sleep is don’t eat meat for dinner. I thought proteins were the problem, but I have noticed eggs at night don’t disrupt my sleep, and last night I had shrimp cocktail for dinner and slept well last night still.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“One of the oldest tests for hypothyroidism was the Achilles tendon reflex test, in which the rate of relaxation of the calf muscle corresponded to thyroid function--the relaxation is slow in hypothyroid people. Water, sodium and calcium are more slowly expelled by the hypothyroid muscle. Exactly the same slow relaxation occurs in the hypothyroid heart muscle, contributing to congestive heart failure, because the semi-contracted heart can't receive as much blood as the normally relaxed heart. The hypothyroid blood vessels are unable to relax properly, contributing to hypertension. Hypothyroid nerves don't easily return to their energized relaxed state, leading to insomnia, paresthesias, movement disorders, and nerves that are swollen and very susceptible to pressure damage.” Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“With aging, hypothyroidism, stress, and fatigue, the amount of estrogen in the body typically rises. Estrogen is catabolic for muscle, and causes systemic edema, and nerve excitation. It weakens muscle contraction in the bladder, although it lowers the threshold for stimulation of sensation and contraction (Dambros, et al., 2004). This is the pattern that causes people to wake up frequently, to pass a small amount of urine. (Progesterone has the opposite effect in the urinary bladder, raising the threshold of response, but strengthening contraction, as it does in the gallbladder.) Estrogen lowers stimulation threshold in the gallbladder, as it does in the brain. Part of its excitatory action might be the result of increased hypotonic tissue water, but its effects on nerve thresholds are practically instantaneous.” -Ray Peat

David PS

I read this today.
Waking Up at Night Could Be Your Brain Boosting Your Memory - Medscape, 8/3/22 - "Brief awakenings may be a sign you’ve slept well ... The study, done on mice, found that the stress transmitter noradrenaline wakes up the brain many times a night. These "microarousals" were linked to memory consolidation, meaning they help you remember the previous day's events. In fact, the more "awake" you are during a microarousal, the better the memory boost"

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I read this today.
Waking Up at Night Could Be Your Brain Boosting Your Memory - Medscape, 8/3/22 - "Brief awakenings may be a sign you’ve slept well ... The study, done on mice, found that the stress transmitter noradrenaline wakes up the brain many times a night. These "microarousals" were linked to memory consolidation, meaning they help you remember the previous day's events. In fact, the more "awake" you are during a microarousal, the better the memory boost"
We’ll finally some good news for me!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The "treatment" for intracellular fatigue consists of normalizing thyroid and steroid metabolism, and eating a diet including fruit juice, milk, some eggs or liver, and gelatin, assuring adequate calcium, potassium sodium, and magnesium, and using supplements of niacin-amide, aspirin, and carbon dioxide when necessary. Simply increasing carbon dioxide decreases lactic acid and ammonia, increases GABA (the sleep improving nerve inhibitor), and regulates mineral and water disposition.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The increase of GH during sleep might seem to be utterly incompatible with the idea that it is a stress hormone, but in fact the other stress hormones, adrenalin, cortisol, and prolactin also tend to increase during night-time sleep. Thyroid function and progesterone function decrease at night. As I have argued previously darkness is one of our major stressors. Considering GH's tendency to cause edema, tissue swelling, it could play a role in the nocturnal increase of the viscosity of blood, as the volume of blood is decreased by the leakage of fluid into the tissues.” -Ray Peat

cs3000

Rinse & rePeat
"Simply increasing carbon dioxide decreases lactic acid and ammonia, increases GABA (the sleep improving nerve inhibitor), and regulates mineral and water disposition.“ -Ray Peat

Something interesting I just found relating to slow wave sleep, (btw the brewers yeast was a dead end for me no effect & didnt find sake yeast),
I used to wonder whether sleeping with covers over head is a good idea or not,

some conflicting data but maybe best not to

hmm interesting approach to sleep changes, i wonder how CO2 effects slow wave sleep

this one showed 2% enhanced deep NREM, but 4% & 6% CO2 destroyed sleep parameters no good

covering head with 1 sheet + 1 or 2 covers - CO2 raised to 1%-2% by 1 sheet + 1 blanket
https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/...lthy-to-sleep-with-the-head-under-the-blanket
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/343219

The effect on the inspired oxygen and carbon dioxide concentrations was studied in five healthy men, 25 to 30 years old. Each volunteer rested quietly though not sleeping, in the left lateral decubitus position on a sheet-covered mattress. The head was covered for ten minutes by one sheet and one standard AUS blanket weighing 3 to 4 lb and then by one sheet and two blankets for an additional ten minutes.

Before covering the head, the oxygen concentration was 20.7% to 20.9%, and the carbon dioxide concentration was 0.4% to 0.5%. Upon covering the head with one or two blankets, the mean oxygen percentage rapidly decreased to 18% to 19% and the mean carbon dioxide rose to 1% to 2% within one minute and thereafter remained stable. Hypoxia as low as 16.5% oxygen, and hypercapnia as high as 4.1% carbon dioxide was obtained beneath the covering of two blankets.

Here's a cool study in humans by NASA etc

Joint NASA-ESA-DARA Study. Part three: characterization of sleep under ambient CO2-levels of 0.7% and 1.2%

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9591620/

An experiment was conducted to study sleep quality and sleep architecture in volunteers living in a closed system under elevated ambient CO2 levels of 0.7% and 1.2%. In a closed system, human life is possible only if the CO2 level is permanently adjusted. For the Russian space station MIR, for example, the CO2 levels of the present study are actual upper limits for the adjustment. Sleep architecture was found to be altered in astronauts on the orbiting MIR station. Sleep quantity and quality were reduced. The latency to the first REM sleep was shorter in space and slow wave sleep was redistributed from the first to the second sleep cycle. The elevated CO2 concentration in the atmosphere on MIR may be one of the reasons for those observations regarding sleep in space. Thus, this experiment was also conducted in order to clarify the interpretation of data obtained from astronauts on MIR. In this study sleep polygraphies could be recorded in 4 subjects who lived for 23 d under 0.7% and then for the same period of time under 1.2% CO2. Findings suggest that these levels of ambient CO2 do not reduce sleep quality. Sleep architecture, however, was slightly changed and showed that the amount of slow wave sleep increased with the duration of the exposure to CO2. But it can be excluded that findings on MIR were caused by elevated CO2-levels. [not sure why it can be excluded]

edit: annoyingly this sleep study showed improved time to sleep onset but reduced SWS with higher CO2 concentrations in the air (3000ppm 0.3% vs 0.08% typical room https://www.researchgate.net/public...lity_affected_by_carbon_dioxide_concentration

so by this one sleeping with a window cracked open & covers not above head would be optimal..

on safety of prolonged CO2, NASA has some good info on short term. before they set their upper limit for CO2 on spacecraft to 1.2% for 24h periods, 2% for 1 hour periods. but since maybe changed to 0.4%?

26 days of continuous 1.2% carbon dioxide showed slight visual tracking peformance impairment but not enough to hinder functioning Joint NASA-ESA-DARA Study. Part three: effects of chronically elevated CO2 on mental performance during 26 days of confinement - PubMed).
another one showed acutely 2.5% for 30 minutes lowered depth perception (i guess temporarily until typical air breathed for a bit?).

Joint NASA-ESA-DARA Study. Part three: effects of chronically elevated CO2 on mental performance during 26 days of confinement - PubMed
the study indicates that at least visuomotor performance might be affected by CO2 concentrations in the ambient atmosphere as small as 1.2% if subjects are chronically exposed to these concentrations in a confined environment. The strength of these effects, however, does not appear to be of operational relevance.
so 1.2% had some impairment but not of operational relevance, and none of the other markers of cognition were mentioned as impaired

0.7% or 1.2% of 24hr exposure increased cerebral blood flow for the first 1 - 3 days sonistics.com/wp-content/uploads/John-James-ICES-2013-Carbon-dioxide.pdf

>~2000 ppm probably significantly impairs cognition according to a couple sources. (how soon after returning to normal air would that reverse?)
also 2000ppm in % terms = 0.2% which contradicts 1.2% being fine over 24 hour periods for a month which would be 20,000ppm, hmm

can measure CO2 in a room with a meter

first 2 studies looks like 1.2% CO2 is an improvement (nasa one said it did not reduce sleep quality), but the other study looks like even increasing room air from typical 0.08% to 0.3% CO2 is a detriment. i guess the 3rd study is more specific so gotta go with sleeping without covering face, and keeping fresh air coming is probably better for SWS

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Something interesting I just found relating to slow wave sleep, (btw the brewers yeast was a dead end for me no effect & didnt find sake yeast),

Yeah the first night taking the brewer’s yeast I slept really good, but on the other two nights I didn’t, so I can’t say anything for certain. Right now orange zest in hot water with sugar before bedtime seems to be something. I had burrata with a little EVOO and salt last night and that tea and slept 8.5 hours last night. I dreamt all through the night too. I was groggy when I woke, like I could still sleep.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The increase of adrenalin,f caused by a deficiency of sodium, is one of the factors that can increase blood pressure; if the tissues's glycogen stores are depleted, the adrenalin will mobilize free fatty acids from the tissues, which tends to inhibit energy production from glucose, and to increase leakiness. After I had read Tom Brewer's work on preventing or curing preeclampsia with added salt, I realized that the premenstrual syndrome involved some of the features of preeclampsia (edema, insomnia, cramps, hypertension, salt craving), so I suggested to a friend that she might try salting her food to taste, instead of trying to restrict salt to "prevent edema." She immediately noticed that it prevented her monthly edema problem. For several years, all the women who tried it had similarly good results, and often mentioned that their sleep improved. I mentioned this to several people with sleep problems, and regardless of age, their sleep improved when they ate as much salt as they wanted. Around that time, several studies had shown that salt restriction increases adrenalin, and one study showed that most old people on a low sodium diet suffered from insomnia, and had unusually high adrenalin. When they ate a normal amount of salt, their adrenalin was normalized, and they slept better.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Stresses such as the loss of sleep cause great distortions in phospholipid metabolism throughout the body, especially in the brain and liver.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Darkness is stressful and catabolic. For example, in aging people, the morning urine contains nearly all of the calcium lost during the 24 hour period, and mitochondria are especially sensitive to the destructive effects of darkness. Sleep reduces the destructive catabolic effects of darkness. During the rapid-eye-movement (dreaming) phase of sleep, breathing is inhibited, and the level of carbon dioxide in the tissues accumulates. In restful sleep, the oxygen tension is frequently low enough, and the carbon dioxide tension high enough, to trigger the multiplication of stem cells and mitochondria.“ -Ray Peat