SLEEP

OP
Rinse & rePeat
9 hours?! Awesome! Those are some delicious foods you had. And how yummy are peach smoothies? I've been having a peaches and cream shake almost daily, for months now. I even like a bowl of sliced, fresh peaches topped with some of the cream from my raw milk. Mmm...
See we always run in tandem! I haven’t had a peach in so many years until this past week! I love when I get hooked on a new food.

I slept a straight 6 hours last night until an hour ago when something was scratching on my bedroom window, above my head, and woke me up. It was too dark to have seen anything and I was too freaked out to wanna know anyways.

I had a 5:30 dinner with a fried egg and a chile cheese pupusa for dinner last night, and had a little raw milk later on and went to bed at 11:00. I bought some new 100% organic sheets which I am sure has played into my last few nights of sleep, but not totally, because the first night I put them on I thought for sure I was gonna sleep good and I got nothing, because I had a no tortilla beef taco bowl for dinner. I never sleep good with meat in my stomach.

Jennifer

See we always run in tandem! I haven’t had a peach in so many years until this past week! I love when I get hooked on a new food.

I slept a straight 6 hours last night until an hour ago when something was scratching on my bedroom window, above my head, and woke me up. It was too dark to have seen anything and I was too freaked out to wanna know anyways.

I had a 5:30 dinner with a fried egg and a chile cheese pupusa for dinner last night, and had a little raw milk later on and went to bed at 11:00. I bought some new 100% organic sheets which I am sure has played into my last few nights of sleep, but not totally, because the first night I put them on I thought for sure I was gonna sleep good and I got nothing, because I had a no tortilla beef taco bowl for dinner. I never sleep good with meat in my stomach.

Me too. This is especially true when I’m lucky enough to find a good crop of fruit. I normally buy only white peaches, but the yellow variety has been really good this year so I’ve been getting them, too. I hadn’t had a yellow peach in years.

Scary! That would have freaked me out, too, especially living in the woods—less witnesses. :eek:

Oh, wow. Do you sleep better with organic sheets because your skin is so sensitive or…? And may I ask what brand they are? I’ve been trying to find 100% organic flat sheets, but the only separates above a 300 thread count that I’ve come across are fitted sheets. I use a flat sheet in place of a fitted one because I have a 13” latex mattress that’s really heavy and as a single, little person, it’s difficult getting a fitted sheet on it.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Me too. This is especially true when I’m lucky enough to find a good crop of fruit. I normally buy only white peaches, but the yellow variety has been really good this year so I’ve been getting them, too. I hadn’t had a yellow peach in years.

Scary! That would have freaked me out, too, especially living in the woods—less witnesses. :eek:

Oh, wow. Do you sleep better with organic sheets because your skin is so sensitive or…? And may I ask what brand they are? I’ve been trying to find 100% organic flat sheets, but the only separates above a 300 thread count that I’ve come across are fitted sheets. I use a flat sheet in place of a fitted one because I have a 13” latex mattress that’s really heavy and as a single, little person, it’s difficult getting a fitted sheet on it.
Less witnesses is REALLY scary. I could not live up in the woods. I lived in Northern California way out in nature and hated it. It was unnerving.

My skin is not sensitive at all. I think you are probably remembering that sofa chemical rash I had for awhile, that kept flaring up when I would eat chicken, porks, rice or fluoride. My skin otherwise is tough as nails. Buying these new sheets recently not gives me a fresh start, but I added two extra pillows to my bed and it is much more fluffy and comfortable around me. I chose my sheet from a “2022 Best Cotton Sheets” list, and the ones from American Blissom we’re rated “Best Deep Pocket Sheets”. I have a bed where it is customized with layers, so the corners in normal deep pockets sheets don’t stay on. I also liked that, though they are more expensive, they are more durable and will last longer. Below is an excerpt from their website….

“There is nothing like getting into bed and wrapping yourself in the perfect bedding or having a spa experience at home with the perfect bath towels. Made completely farm to bed in the USA, American Blossom soft, all cotton and wool, modern vintage bed and bath linens are pure comfort. Many of our direct to consumer online competitors source their linens in places like India and China and have huge carbon footprints as they are made in countries with little pollution control and travel 8000 miles from the factory to your door. American Blossom is different. Our sheets, towels, blankets and pillows are grown, processed, finished, and shipped in the USA, drastically reducing their carbon footprint. The shorter the distance materials travel, the lower the environmental impact.
Note about Cotton sheets labeled “Wrinkle-Free”, “Easy Care” and “Permanent Press” - These labels indicate the fabric has been treated with formaldehyde resin, one of the most toxic chemical fabric finishes. Formaldehyde is one of about two dozen toxins commonly found in textiles that are believed by doctors to contribute to Multiple Chemical Sensitivities(MCS).”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Most people don’t realise that conventional sheets go through a crazy amount of processing before they end up on your bed. From washing to sizing, bleaching, dying, being treated with detergents, optical brighteners, biocides, wetting agents, lubricants, solvents, stabilizers and emulsifiers...the list goes on, phew!

Some of the most common toxic chemicals found in conventional sheet sets include:

1. Formaldehyde
Sheets—especially cotton sets—that are labelled as ‘wrinkle-free’, ‘no wrinkle’ or ‘no iron’ typically contain a formaldehyde finish, which can cause a sore throat, teary eyes, blocked sinuses, a runny nose and sneezing. Not only that, but formaldehyde has also been shown to cause cancer!

2. Pesticides
Cotton is one of the most heavily sprayed, pesticide-laden crops in the world. While some of these nasty chemicals will wash out of conventional cotton sheets, they’ll never be 100% pure. Which means every night, you’ll be sleeping in a bed full of harmful chemicals. Ew, no thank you!

3. Colour fasteners & dyes
We all love bright, beautiful colours. But what if those hot pink sheets and navy blue pillow cases were interfering with your immune system, hormones, fertility and respiratory system? What if they increased your chances of getting kidney, bladder or liver cancer? Spoiler alert: they are!

4. Chlorine bleach
Many conventional white sheets are bleached with chlorine-based chemicals to get that crisp-white ‘hotel look’, which so many people love. But by choosing these sheets, you could unknowingly be exposing yourself to one of the most toxic chemicals on earth. Sleeping on bleached sheets can irritate your skin. And on those hot summer night’s when sweating is involved and your pores are naturally more open, the toxins can be absorbed into your skin”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“A small study in 2015 found that crying can help babies sleep better. Whether crying has the same sleep-enhancing effect on adults is yet to be researched.

However, it follows that the calming, mood-enhancing, and pain-relieving effects of crying above may help a person fall asleep more easily.”

Jennifer

Less witnesses is REALLY scary. I could not live up in the woods. I lived in Northern California way out in nature and hated it. It was unnerving.

My skin is not sensitive at all. I think you are probably remembering that sofa chemical rash I had for awhile, that kept flaring up when I would eat chicken, porks, rice or fluoride. My skin otherwise is tough as nails. Buying these new sheets recently not gives me a fresh start, but I added two extra pillows to my bed and it is much more fluffy and comfortable around me. I chose my sheet from a “2022 Best Cotton Sheets” list, and the ones from American Blissom we’re rated “Best Deep Pocket Sheets”. I have a bed where it is customized with layers, so the corners in normal deep pockets sheets don’t stay on. I also liked that, though they are more expensive, they are more durable and will last longer. Below is an excerpt from their website….

“There is nothing like getting into bed and wrapping yourself in the perfect bedding or having a spa experience at home with the perfect bath towels. Made completely farm to bed in the USA, American Blossom soft, all cotton and wool, modern vintage bed and bath linens are pure comfort. Many of our direct to consumer online competitors source their linens in places like India and China and have huge carbon footprints as they are made in countries with little pollution control and travel 8000 miles from the factory to your door. American Blossom is different. Our sheets, towels, blankets and pillows are grown, processed, finished, and shipped in the USA, drastically reducing their carbon footprint. The shorter the distance materials travel, the lower the environmental impact.
Note about Cotton sheets labeled “Wrinkle-Free”, “Easy Care” and “Permanent Press” - These labels indicate the fabric has been treated with formaldehyde resin, one of the most toxic chemical fabric finishes. Formaldehyde is one of about two dozen toxins commonly found in textiles that are believed by doctors to contribute to Multiple Chemical Sensitivities(MCS).”

I kid about the no witnesses. I can see my neighbor's house. I live in a wooded area, but it's only 6 miles from the city and there's a trail running through my family's property that leads down to the town's lake so it's actually quite peaceful here.

Yes, it must be the sofa chemical rash I was thinking of. Thank you for sharing the brand with me. I think I might have seen the same list as you. Did it also have the brand Boll & Branch? I want to say the list was from the Sleep Foundation?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I kid about the no witnesses. I can see my neighbor's house. I live in a wooded area, but it's only 6 miles from the city and there's a trail running through my family's property that leads down to the town's lake so it's actually quite peaceful here.

Yes, it must be the sofa chemical rash I was thinking of. Thank you for sharing the brand with me. I think I might have seen the same list as you. Did it also have the brand Boll & Branch? I want to say the list was from the Sleep Foundation?
I didn’t read the other suggestions, and went straight for the deep pockets.

Runenight201

Been having sleep issues for a while now and starting to suspect that my mattress/sheets could be at play (aside from the whole diet thing, but that’s another angle, to be healthy there are so many pieces to account for ?).

Has anyone noticed improvements from switching away from polyurethane foam and to latex or some other compound such as cotton or wool? I’ve noticed my lung function deteriorating over the past year and today I woke up and it hit me that I could just smell this polyurethane all up in my room and so I started researching more and it turns out that they can emit Volatile Organic Compounds, Mattresses

Could it really be that all my health issues are because of my poor quality of sleep because I’ve always slept on a toxic mattress for the past 10 years??? Since I been depressed for the past year and been spending way too much time in my room I’ve been stuck inside this toxic environment where I’m just breathing in those VOCs all day and night no wonder I was deteriorating into some dark head spaces…

My sleep was getting so bad that in desperation I would sleep on the floor because I felt like it would be better than that damned mattress, but sleeping on hardwood is no joke I was not getting good sleep on that either.

My goal is to get a new mattress this weekend and hopefully I can report back with some positive results ??

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Been having sleep issues for a while now and starting to suspect that my mattress/sheets could be at play (aside from the whole diet thing, but that’s another angle, to be healthy there are so many pieces to account for ?).

Has anyone noticed improvements from switching away from polyurethane foam and to latex or some other compound such as cotton or wool? I’ve noticed my lung function deteriorating over the past year and today I woke up and it hit me that I could just smell this polyurethane all up in my room and so I started researching more and it turns out that they can emit Volatile Organic Compounds, Mattresses

Could it really be that all my health issues are because of my poor quality of sleep because I’ve always slept on a toxic mattress for the past 10 years??? Since I been depressed for the past year and been spending way too much time in my room I’ve been stuck inside this toxic environment where I’m just breathing in those VOCs all day and night no wonder I was deteriorating into some dark head spaces…

My sleep was getting so bad that in desperation I would sleep on the floor because I felt like it would be better than that damned mattress, but sleeping on hardwood is no joke I was not getting good sleep on that either.

My goal is to get a new mattress this weekend and hopefully I can report back with some positive results ??
I so relate to what you have written here and YES it is playing into your health decline. I would wake up every morning with stuffy sinuses and aches and pains until I bought an organic mattress and topper. The sheets and pillows matter too. One third of your life spent in bed is a long time to be soaking and breathing in toxins. I run a portable air filter while I sleep too. First time in decades I wake up with clear sinuses this past few months. I am excited to hear how much better you are gonna feel making the switch out this weekend!

Jennifer

@Rinse & rePeat, different time zone. It was 6:00 a.m. when I posted. :)

It just occurred to me after reading your comment to Rune, was it you who mentioned not being able to wear synthetic fabrics and if so, do you think it makes a difference when it comes to not just sleep, but overall health? I’ve made it a point to buy natural fabrics when it comes to my panties, but I’m now wondering if buying natural and organic clothing matters, since we wear it all day long? I worked in a clothing store in my teens and whenever we unpacked new shipments, we’d have to wash our hands afterward because of the film that would form on them from the chemicals added to the fabrics.

@Runenight201, I hope changing your mattress does the trick. :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat, different time zone. It was 6:00 a.m. when I posted. :)

It just occurred to me after reading your comment to Rune, was it you who mentioned not being able to wear synthetic fabrics and if so, do you think it makes a difference when it comes to not just sleep, but overall health? I’ve made it a point to buy natural fabrics when it comes to my panties, but I’m now wondering if buying natural and organic clothing matters, since we wear it all day long? I worked in a clothing store in my teens and whenever we unpacked new shipments, we’d have to wash our hands afterward because of the film that would form on them from the chemicals added to the fabrics.

@Runenight201, I hope changing your mattress does the trick. :)
I didn’t think a thing about the clothing I was wearing until one day I noticed some large growths on my back ONLY where I was wearing the crop tops I was sleeping in. It turns out that sweating or getting hot in them not only warms up those chemicals, but opens the skin pores to let the crap in. So I got rid of all the stuff I was sleeping, and pretty much living, in the first year of Covid and replaced it all with cotton and tackled the spots with MCT oil. I made a post on that success, of getting rid of those nasty spots I had gotten, with before and after pics. If my toxic clothing can cause what looked like cancerous growths on top of my skin, I can’t image what destruction my clothing was causing internally.

David PS

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Entertaining video from an expert on the importance of sleep. 8.9 million views. I am not trying to be discouraging, just keep trying to get a good night sleep.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MuIMqhT8DM

It is an interesting video, but he lost me at voltage to the brain. It is as I suspected though a bad idea to get on sleeping pills. People on them are not getting real sleep.

David PS

You might consider purchasing a healthy pillow as well. Both mattresses and pillows are assoicated with ill effects from 'out gassing". Feathers are the best.

Q: How do you get down from an elephant?
A: You don't - you get down from a duck. see

Sick building syndrome and of course EMFs are also possibilities.

David PS

OP
Rinse & rePeat

“Sleep is the price we pay for wakefulness” is an interesting concept.

I am not sure I believe in that beta amyloid angle as an Alzheimer’s factor. My father has Alzheimer’s and slept and napped more than anyone I know. Many famous inventors and those who have left large contributions to the world are wonders to science how they get by on very little sleep.

We need that sleep time so the body can repair itself, but I found the article I posted last week most interesting, that the body repairs itself in the first half of the night and the second half of the night the body addresses the cognitive, processing and storaging of learned things to memory. This may be a factor in some Alzheimer’s cases. Diet, environment and medications also play a part as well, but maybe another culprit is an Alzheimer’s person can’t to that second half of the night.

Thanks for all the things you post that makes me ponder these things :)

David PS

“Sleep is the price we pay for wakefulness” is an interesting concept.

I am not sure I believe in that beta amyloid angle as an Alzheimer’s factor. My father has Alzheimer’s and slept and napped more than anyone I know. Many famous inventors and those who have left large contributions to the world are wonders to science how they get by on very little sleep.

We need that sleep time so the body can repair itself, but I found the article I posted last week most interesting, that the body repairs itself in the first half of the night and the second half of the night the body addresses the cognitive, processing and storaging of learned things to memory. This may be a factor in some Alzheimer’s cases. Diet, environment and medications also play a part as well, but maybe another culprit is an Alzheimer’s person can’t to that second half of the night.

Thanks for all the things you post that makes me ponder these things :)
Your welcome. The forum probably could benefit from a thread about all things Alzheimers.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dA64dZmoW0

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals