Sleep tests should be just as common as blood tests

ReSTART

So many people have symptoms that clearly indicate SDB (sleep-disordered breathing, such as sleep apnea and UARS).

Beastmode

So many people have symptoms that clearly indicate SDB (sleep-disordered breathing, such as sleep apnea and UARS).
I'm curious on this topic as well. Not sure what tests would actually qualify as useful.

Not sure how reliable the wearables are as well. I hear mixed results from people.

OP
R

ReSTART

An in-lab sleep test is what I'm referring to, where they hook you up to EEG and a bunch of other stuff.

WatchPAT is best at-home sleep test that is readily available. Obviously, it isn't as good as an in-lab test but it's far better than nothing or personal electronics (fitbit, apple watch, oura ring, etc).

Beastmode

An in-lab sleep test is what I'm referring to, where they hook you up to EEG and a bunch of other stuff.

WatchPAT is best at-home sleep test that is readily available. Obviously, it isn't as good as an in-lab test but it's far better than nothing or personal electronics (fitbit, apple watch, oura ring, etc).
I've done a lot of neurofeedback and my QEEG's have shown a brain that wasn't getting enough deep sleep. This isn't done sleeping of course, but it definitely showed brain patterns of an unrested brain.

The in-lab sleep tests seem to be more of a qualifier for a CPAP. I wonder if we can just get enough of a solid picture from blood work, body temp, pulse changes, etc to determine something that's actually useful and applicable outside these dangerous CPAP machines pumping oxygen in someone all night.

OP
R

ReSTART

Qualifier for CPAP, yes but more importantly a diagnostic for sleep apnea and UARS.

Then you can treat it however you want if you have it, not necessarily using a CPAP.

InChristAlone

Then what are solutions? My husband was able to stop his extremely bad snoring and waking up a lot with a CPAP. I think a lot of it is neck fat but he couldn't ever lose weight while having the disordered sleep.

Beastmode

Then what are solutions? My husband was able to stop his extremely bad snoring and waking up a lot with a CPAP. I think a lot of it is neck fat but he couldn't ever lose weight while having the disordered sleep.

Has your husband had his thyroid, t levels, dhea, prolactin, etc tested?
His diet and lifestyle can really impact it. Also sleep environment can play a stronger role for some than others.

Has he had any testing to prove that his sleep is "objectively" different now?

InChristAlone

Has your husband had his thyroid, t levels, dhea, prolactin, etc tested?
His diet and lifestyle can really impact it. Also sleep environment can play a stronger role for some than others.

Has he had any testing to prove that his sleep is "objectively" different now?
Yeah his T level was extemely low. Despite being able to put on a lot of muscle mass. His diet is body builder style. Beef and rice, OJ, protein powder, granola bars as snacks, aspirin. We never got him tested as it wasn't covered by insurance. So we don't know for sure. But he'd snore so loud his airway was almost closed off then he'd wake up to get air. The CPAP completely stopped the snoring and he says he's even breathing mostly thru his nose now.

OP
R

ReSTART

For most people it’s obesity or craniofacial abnormalities. Losing weight and getting surgery are generally effective treatments for those problems.