Sleep Quality Guide

Hey guys and gals!

I've created an e-book length blog post about improving sleep quality.

I know not all Peatarians agree with some recommendations of mine, such as an importance of some DHA in the diet (although, I'm skeptical of getting too much DHA). I do fully agree with Ray Peat that all vegetable oils are killing, and that fish oil is sub-optimal (but I do not equal fish oil with fish and shellfish consumption).

Nevertheless, people here might still get some value out of my post:

Beat Insomnia. Everything You Need To Know About Sleep Quality

If you have any suggestions, let me know. I will update my recommendations next year (2019)!

Edit: the post is 90 pages long in Word, and might take some time to load, because of the amount of content.

L

lollipop

Hey guys and gals!

I know not all Peatarians agree with some recommendations of mine, such as an importance of some DHA in the diet (although, I'm skeptical of getting too much DHA). I do fully agree with Ray Peat that all vegetable oils are killing, and that fish oil is sub-optimal (but I do not equal fish oil with fish and shellfish consumption).

If you have any suggestions, let me know. I will update my recommendations next year (2019)!

Edit: the post is 90 pages long in Word, and might take some time to load, because of the amount of content.
Just glanced at the tip titles and for the most part they seem pretty spot on. FYI...I think some white fish and seafood is a perfectly reasonable place to eat nutrients including small amounts of DHA...

Thank you for posting, a good resource pulling multiple fields of thought together.

YourUniverse

Hey guys and gals!

Thank you for posting! Getting more deep sleep is health action item #1 right now, great timing!

OP
KalosKaiAgathos
Just glanced at the tip titles and for the most part they seem pretty spot on. FYI...I think some white fish and seafood is a perfectly reasonable place to eat nutrients including small amounts of DHA...

Thank you for posting, a good resource pulling multiple fields of thought together.

Yes, but DHA is a point where I fundamentally disagree with Ray at this point. I will do a deep dive into DHA in the future. I've already started an article with the title "The Fish Consumption Wars" - the title tells a lot! I think we cannot understand human brain development at the equator 250.000 years ago without DHA from fish and shellfish at this point.

I need to look into this issue, but contrary to Ray, I do consider even fatty fish consumption beneficial. I do not think fish oil is beneficial though, as most of that stuff is rancid and oxidized. I also think too many omega 3s are damaging, so I do think the n-3 to n-6 balance is very important. Vegetable oils I also consider very damaging as well.

There are other points where Ray would not agree with me. Blue blockers are an example - which raise melatonin levels a lot during the night. Autophagy is another concept where Ray would disagree - and Ray's conception of melatonin is closely related to his conception of autophagy.

But, I've learned a lot from Ray as well, and for that, I'm grateful!

L

lollipop

Yes, but DHA is a point where I fundamentally disagree with Ray at this point. I will do a deep dive into DHA in the future. I've already started an article with the title "The Fish Consumption Wars" - the title tells a lot! I think we cannot understand human brain development at the equator 250.000 years ago without DHA from fish and shellfish at this point.

I need to look into this issue, but contrary to Ray, I do consider even fatty fish consumption beneficial. I do not think fish oil is beneficial though, as most of that stuff is rancid and oxidized. I also think too many omega 3s are damaging, so I do think the n-3 to n-6 balance is very important. Vegetable oils I also consider very damaging as well.

There are other points where Ray would not agree with me. Blue blockers are an example - which raise melatonin levels a lot during the night. Autophagy is another concept where Ray would disagree - and Ray's conception of melatonin is closely related to his conception of autophagy.

But, I've learned a lot from Ray as well, and for that, I'm grateful!
Yes, I see those points of difference and is why I mentioned above various/multiple fields of thought. I think questioning is healthy!

ddjd

Hey guys and gals!

Did you cover eNOS?

OP
KalosKaiAgathos
Last edited:

Lolinaa

Thank you for this. I don't often have insomnia but during some times of the month I tend to have difficulty sleeping so it will help.

OP
KalosKaiAgathos
I'm very positively impressed about how open this Ray Peat community is. People here do tolerate difference in (rationally supported) divergence of opinion better than in many other places.

I'm not saying that I'm fully correct in all my assessments either. In 30 years from now, I think we'll look at sleep, light, and nutrition very differently again. I don't think the pursuit of truth is ever over. The best we can do, is to integrate all existing science up until today, using different perspectives (evolutionary, biochemical, physics, n=1)

MrThyroid

with regards to sleep yes i believe there is. too little and i sleep terribly. high levels of eNOS and i sleep brilliantly
wow nice information i allready tought about it but never tried it, i will try before sleep citrullin malat

Mossy

wow nice information i allready tought about it but never tried it, i will try before sleep citrullin malat
I would be curious to hear how you do with this. There have been a few discussions lately on this, raising specific NO, such as eNOS, and not just discounting all NO as bad, all the time. I know @Joeyd has a better understanding of it than I do, but it is an interest of mine as well, considering one of the few supplements I do fairly well on, is taurine, which I understand to be pro-eNOS.

Mossy

Maybe I should add, taking citrulline malate significantly lowered my pulse, to 46. This was at 830mg. I know some people do ok with a lower pulse, I do not, and it was not a fun experience. Maybe you're better experienced with it than I am, but thought I'd offer this up, just in case.

MrThyroid

i took yesterday maybe almost 20 gramm didnt notice anything only a little bit in my kidney area felt good then i must go pee i think its the malat detoxing some shiat in kidneys

Mossy

i took yesterday maybe almost 20 gramm didnt notice anything only a little bit in my kidney area felt good then i must go pee i think its the malat detoxing some shiat in kidneys
Holy cow -- 20 grams?!

OP
KalosKaiAgathos
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals