Sleep On The Floor

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I havent tried this but I really want to. Was it hard to adjust the first few nights?

nwo2012

The Mrs wouldnt go for it but we have a fairly hard matress.
Hwoever the kids have basic raw wood slat beds (no chemicals used at all) with an organic wool futton over it.
So they will only know this way and they both sleep very well on them.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
This is very promising. Guess I will try out the floor first, then if I like it maybe build a platform or something to that effect.

nwo2012

Charlie said:
This is very promising. Guess I will try out the floor first, then if I like it maybe build a platform or something to that effect.

Should work very well I would think.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
So if I am cranky the next few days from not being able to sleep I am going to blame it all on you guys! :lol:

nwo2012

Charlie said:
So if I am cranky the next few days from not being able to sleep I am going to blame it all on you guys! :lol:

No worries. But hey give it a week before you start complaining. :D

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Observations after night 1 of sleeping on the floor....

-Sore in places never been sore before. Weird. Even a little sore around the stomach, intestines, wtf? Intestines adjusting?
-Didnt sleep well, but slept.
-Rolled from side to side to back a lot, due to becoming sore when laying on one side too long. Lots of tossing and turning
-Probably could have used a little bit more cushioning, hey I am hardcore, what can I say.
-My left knee hurt when I got up this morning, doesnt hurt anymore. My right knee made a huge pop this morning when walking around.
-My neck had been stiff and sore the last few days, doesnt hurt and isnt stiff at all this morning. Fixed?
-Feel like I am standing up straighter and taller. Another fix?
-Its a little weird getting out of bed and having to get up off the floor, I feel like a caveman(minus the paleo) or something. lol
-Definitely not giving up. The fixed neck was pretty huge for me.

There ya have it. Hopefully can sleep a little better tonight.

nwo2012

Charlie said:
Observations after night 1 of sleeping on the floor....

-Sore in places never been sore before. Weird. Even a little sore around the stomach, intestines, wtf? Intestines adjusting?
-Didnt sleep well, but slept.
-Rolled from side to side to back a lot, due to becoming sore when laying on one side too long. Lots of tossing and turning
-Probably could have used a little bit more cushioning, hey I am hardcore, what can I say.
-My left knee hurt when I got up this morning, doesnt hurt anymore. My right knee made a huge pop this morning when walking around.
-My neck had been stiff and sore the last few days, doesnt hurt and isnt stiff at all this morning. Fixed?
-Feel like I am standing up straighter and taller. Another fix?
-Its a little weird getting out of bed and having to get up off the floor, I feel like a caveman(minus the paleo) or something. lol
-Definitely not giving up. The fixed neck was pretty huge for me.

There ya have it. Hopefully can sleep a little better tonight.

What did you sleep on (on the floor)? Futon? One pillow? etc

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Floor, with a thin yoga type mat, then a thin quilt, so not much padding at all. For the pillow, one of the posturepedic type pillows where your head rests in a valley.

nwo2012

Charlie said:
Floor, with a thin yoga type mat, then a thin quilt, so not much padding at all. For the pillow, one of the posturepedic type pillows where your head rests in a valley.

Sounds about perfect. It will take some time to adjust, especially to sleeping on your side. But good you are doing it.

OP
C

cartman

I found out that sheep wool carpets are best for me. The bones aren't hurting because it cushions perfectly but your backbone stays straight and does not fall in a hole like with a mattress. I also tried to sleep on a mattress again to test it, the biggest problem is, that my body feels like a sack in the morning.

nwo2012

cartman said:
I found out that sheep wool carpets are best for me. The bones aren't hurting because it cushions perfectly but your backbone stays straight and does not fall in a hole like with a mattress. I also tried to sleep on a mattress again to test it, the biggest problem is, that my body feels like a sack in the morning.

Only sleeping on your back? I find on hard surfaces my shoulders can hurt when I try to sleep on my side.

nwo2012

Ok I persuaded Mrs nwo2012 and we took the mattress off the bed and put a thin organic cotton futon directky onto the slats. Was a little uncomfortable due to small gaps in slats so I folded two large cardboard boxes (like disassembled them) and put onto the slats then futon on top. Wow! Neck a little stiff but my lower back is the best it has been in a long time. They have it really good on Skid Row. :P

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:rolling

I have to admit, I gave up. I hardly had any cushioning at all. And it was stressing me out and lowering my temps. Gonna have to try it again later on when I am healthier and have a better setup.

Chemi

I've been sleeping on the floor for roughly a year now. The floor is tiled so I have a yoga mat with a sleeping bag on-top as a makeshift mattress that I sleep on and cover myself with a regular blanket.

Was having space issues in my bedroom so I threw the bed out so I could fit my gym set in.

It's weird at the start but you adapt eventually. Absolutely love it now.

kettlebell

This sounds amazing. I love it because its "Conventionally" quirky and im going to do it.

Do you guys sleep on your back or side when doing this?

Do you use any sort of pillow at all after a while or do you literally rest your head down without any higher support?

Chemi

For me it's:

-Laying flat on back to kind of "loosen up" before falling asleep (may occasionally fall sleep in this position)
-Rolling onto side with knees slightly bent or straight

As for the awkward neck and back posture, I find if I try to sleep with my ear flat on the floor its uncomfortable without a pillow.

I naturally started making the corner/side of my forehead as the point that touches the ground, since it felt like the neck was more aligned with the back, less strain on the neck when I sleep on my side - body slightly tilted forward like almost on stomach but not quite - having the bottom or top leg bent up towards the stomach allows you to adjust the angle.

I use a t-shirt or something to kinda "fill in the gaps" rather than a full sized pillow.

It would definitely vary for people of different shapes and sizes or just personalities even. I'm a heavy set guy 5'9 and weigh 215 lbs.

Trying to not be tedious but I really suck at explaining things simply without having the feeling I've left out something important :lol:

Geminitiger

Been sleeping on a traditional Futon on the floor(wool carpet) for over a year and love it.sometimes makes my lower back ache(chronic problem) but a few minutes child posture sorts it. Couldn't go back to a bed.