Sleep Isn’t The Same Anymore

Encai

Hey guys!

I’m quite new here, but I’ve been interested in peats ideas for some time now.

So, my whole life (26, m) I’ve been somebody that needed about 8-9 hours of sleep and I generally love sleep.

the thing is that in the last 2-3 years it has started that I wake up once or twice to need to pee. Now I often have a hard time falling back asleep, especially if I already had at least 5-6 hours of sleep. The problem is that these 5-6 hours are not enough. I feel kind of drained but will not fall asleep. Apart from that I regularly take a siesta, if circumstances allow it.

I supplement regularly with magnesium and Vit d and k, diet is maintenance calories with fruit, protein and animal fat. TSH has always been on the higher side (rose from 2.4 to 3.1 lately).

Does anyone have a suggestion or idea what I could do to sleep through?

Peater

I found calcium just as important as magnesium for good sleep and calmness. Might be worth supplementing and seeing if you notice an improvement. I take citrate.

Also high dose vitamin D (possibly excessive, my fault - 10000 IU most days) makes my sleep terrible, I just happened to find on another thread on another thread about insomnia that someone else was supplementing and having a hard time getting quality sleep.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I also had that issue and it went away when I started taking aspirin before bed. Lately I used 0.5mg cypro sublingually to see how it would affect my sleep and I think it helped me sleep even deeper.
Even though I have about 500ml-1L of milk before bed, I don't get up to pee.

JKX

You could try some zinc sulphate (10 - 15mg or so) with your magnesium 30mins or so before bed. It has a hugely beneficial effect on sleep quality for me.

Cloudhands

I also had that issue and it went away when I started taking aspirin before bed. Lately I used 0.5mg cypro sublingually to see how it would affect my sleep and I think it helped me sleep even deeper.
Even though I have about 500ml-1L of milk before bed, I don't get up to pee.
How much aspirin? I have the same issue waking up to peepee

Tarmander

in the last year or two, have you gone on any health kicks and added anything to your diet that you found gave you energy benefits? Green powders, carrots, coconut oil...that kind of thing

OP
E

Encai

I found calcium just as important as magnesium for good sleep and calmness. Might be worth supplementing and seeing if you notice an improvement. I take citrate.

Also high dose vitamin D (possibly excessive, my fault - 10000 IU most days) makes my sleep terrible, I just happened to find on another thread on another thread about insomnia that someone else was supplementing and having a hard time getting quality sleep.

i normally drink at least half a litre of mI’ll per day and have a quarter of low fat cream cheese. Also, in my yearly blood test, calcium seems more on the higher end of the normal range. But thanks for the suggestion.

yes, high dose vit d is something that can make me alert, but I take 2000 units per day or 4.500 max, so this shouldn’t be the biggest impact I hope.

OP
E

Encai

You could try some zinc sulphate (10 - 15mg or so) with your magnesium 30mins or so before bed. It has a hugely beneficial effect on sleep quality for me.
Zinc is something I quite regularly take at night. 25 mg as citrate and methionin-sulfate

OP
E

Encai

in the last year or two, have you gone on any health kicks and added anything to your diet that you found gave you energy benefits? Green powders, carrots, coconut oil...that kind of thing
Not really, raw carrot has been a staple a long time now. I dont really add too much additional fat, so coconut oil is something I use to substitute any other kind of oil I’d use. And green powers... well I had a chlorella package as try-out from my last order of protein, but that’s half a year ago now

Bilel Rais

Wow never thought that my 3 year old sleep problems could be caused by Vitamin D. I’ve been taking 4000-5000UI with K Complex in addition to daily sun exposure. I will get my D levels tested tomorrow and stop supplementation for now.

Tarmander

Not really, raw carrot has been a staple a long time now. I dont really add too much additional fat, so coconut oil is something I use to substitute any other kind of oil I’d use. And green powers... well I had a chlorella package as try-out from my last order of protein, but that’s half a year ago now
My sleep issues were microbiome related. Try cutting out the carrot, see what happens

OP
E

Encai

How is your sodium intake?

Well, I’m not documenting my salt intake, but I do use salt ad libitum. Sometimes add some to my OJ. So I’m not avoiding it, as I’ve been in the past, but I’m also not the most salt-eager person (if I compare my self to others who have way more craving for salty stuff)

biffbelvin

Maybe you're drinking too much/late?

For me the following helps, assuming a 10pm bedtime:
  • No food or liquids 2 hours before bed
  • No screens 1-2 hours before bed
  • If I haven't followed the points above; buteyko underbreathing exercises help me fall asleep more easily and help stop any racing thoughts one might have from overstimulstion

Hans

Forum Supporter
How much aspirin? I have the same issue waking up to peepee
I take 500mg, sometimes 1g. But restless sleep and keeping up to pee is always multifactorial, which often include gut irritation.

SonOfEurope

I also have my best sleep (deepest) when I take 650 to 975mg Aspirin around 6pm to bring down inflammation from heavy work. I should mention I always take K2 in the mornings and vitamin C is ample in the diet.

Well, there's lots to say about how to improve sleep quality, but if being able to maintain sleep duration is the problem, that suggests an energy shortage to me. You need to get your glycogen/blood sugar situation sorted out. It may be as simple as increasing calories. I would definitely start there as it sounds like you're stress hormone dominant. More salt is a good idea. Oh, and aspirin would probably help with the blood sugar issue.

For sleep quality, consider supplements of magnesium, iodine, selenium, zinc, B6.