Sleep Deprivation Is Killing You And Your Career

xiaohua

I really need to heed this warning... for some reason my mind resists the idea of going to sleep even when I'm physically exhausted. On the plus side, I'm self-employed so I often get to lay in as long as I want.

I came across this article the other day, which supports what I've been thinking for years. There is no need for people to work as many hours as is deemed "the norm". I tried the 9-5/40-hours-a-week thing, dragging myself out of bed after 5 or 6 hours' sleep whilst dreading the day ahead - in the end I concluded I'd rather be dead than lead that life.
Study reveals how many days a week people should be working when they hit 40

OP
L

lollipop

I really need to heed this warning... for some reason my mind resists the idea of going to sleep even when I'm physically exhausted. On the plus side, I'm self-employed so I often get to lay in as long as I want.

I came across this article the other day, which supports what I've been thinking for years. There is no need for people to work as many hours as is deemed "the norm". I tried the 9-5/40-hours-a-week thing, dragging myself out of bed after 5 or 6 hours' sleep whilst dreading the day ahead - in the end I concluded I'd rather be dead than lead that life.
Study reveals how many days a week people should be working when they hit 40
Sooooo agree @daisyjane :claporange I also founded my own company for the very same reason. As you said people's productivity improves when health and sleep are good so truth be told they do NOT need to work past a certain amount. I also saw a study that after 50hrs, the efficiency and quality dropped off soooo dramatically that extra hours were not worth it.

xiaohua

Way to go @lisaferraro! You're right that longer hours don't mean greater productivity. People could probably get the same amount done in a 5- or 6-hour day as an 8- or 9-hour day, they'd just procrastinate less, and focus more. I think 9-5 culture might be a way to keep people off the streets and out of trouble more than anything ;) or exhaust people so that they don't have too much time for thinking or asking difficult questions!

OP
L

lollipop

Way to go @lisaferraro! You're right that longer hours don't mean greater productivity. People could probably get the same amount done in a 5- or 6-hour day as an 8- or 9-hour day, they'd just procrastinate less, and focus more. I think 9-5 culture might be a way to keep people off the streets and out of trouble more than anything ;) or exhaust people so that they don't have too much time for thinking or asking difficult questions!
:yeahthat :happy:

Parsifal

Most people that I know tell me (and I've experienced it also) that if they sleep more than 8 hours they feel more tired that if they sleep 6 hours. I don't know if that is a thyroid issue, I've experienced it even if my thyroid is better now.

xiaohua

Most people that I know tell me (and I've experienced it also) that if they sleep more than 8 hours they feel more tired that if they sleep 6 hours. I don't know if that is a thyroid issue, I've experienced it even if my thyroid is better now.
I have experienced that, but on the other hand, I wonder if it's some type of healing thing where if someone sleeps loads for a night or two they stop functioning on adrenaline and thus their true state of tiredness is revealed to them. Most people are chronically sleep deprived.

Peater Piper

I know if I get less than 8 hours of sleep several nights in a row my body starts to feel like it's been hit by a truck.

snowboard111

Adrenaline and cortisol can make you seem alert and focus...

I've slept at most 6h per night from 15 to 25 and I can tell the differences between being well rested vs. running on stress (sleep deprivation)

OP
L

lollipop

How do you get to sleep though? That is the real question....
@James_001 salt and some form of sugar before bed has done WONDERS for me. Like cheese and honey or OJ and cheese, etc. For a while I would also drink OJ when I woke up in the middle of the night. Now I mostly sleep the night through. Occasionally when it has been crazy stressful I have used progest - e - also works like a charm...

sladerunner69

I think sleep overrated. Let me explain why. Ray has stated the primary function of sleep as a mechanism is too minimize the damage of being in the dark. I understand the vast significance of bright light in a healthy human biology, and I could agree with that statement.

Over the millenia sleep has evolved into being a perceived necessity because it is a time for your brain to organize its thoughts, however this only occurs for 15-20 minute cycles every 90 minutes of deep sleep. I believe this deep REM sleep is what most people are seeking during sleep, and what helps one wake up with a refreshed, calm mind.

Polyphonic sleepers train themselves to forego the 90 minute intervals of light nonREM sleep by taking multiple 20 minute naps during the days. Polyphasic sleepers claim they feel just as good as normal by taking 20 minute naps multiple times during the day, sometimes for a cumulative total of less than 2 hours....

OP
L

lollipop

I think sleep overrated. Let me explain why. Ray has stated the primary function of sleep as a mechanism is too minimize the damage of being in the dark. I understand the vast significance of bright light in a healthy human biology, and I could agree with that statement.

Over the millenia sleep has evolved into being a perceived necessity because it is a time for your brain to organize its thoughts, however this only occurs for 15-20 minute cycles every 90 minutes of deep sleep. I believe this deep REM sleep is what most people are seeking during sleep, and what helps one wake up with a refreshed, calm mind.

Polyphonic sleepers train themselves to forego the 90 minute intervals of light nonREM sleep by taking multiple 20 minute naps during the days. Polyphasic sleepers claim they feel just as good as normal by taking 20 minute naps multiple times during the day, sometimes for a cumulative total of less than 2 hours....
Interesting perspective. I have read a bit about polyphasic sleeping. Again looks interesting. As an entrepreneur however, would be hard to follow with my schedule...

xiaohua

I think sleep is underrated. What would humans have done during the dark nights pre-electricity...? It's only modern technology that causes us to miss out on so much sleep.

sladerunner69

Interesting perspective. I have read a bit about polyphasic sleeping. Again looks interesting. As an entrepreneur however, would be hard to follow with my schedule...

Then quit your 9-5. Everybody is doing it. Take up cash for clicks. It's an online program where you take shopping surveys for money. I think Dr. Peat would totally approve of that as a way to accrue monetary currency. (joking)

Agent207

Wouldn't it be slow-wave sleep the one to try to increase?

"Slow-wave sleep is the constructive phase of sleep for recuperation of the mind-body system in which it rebuilds itself after each day. Substances that have been ingested into the body while an organism is awake are synthesized into complex proteins of living tissue."