Sleep: Aspirin vs. Gelatin

J

j.

Aspirin and human sleep.

Abstract
Two groups of 8 females were given either 3 X 600 mg aspirin or placebo daily for 4 days, double blind. With aspirin, slow wave sleep was significantly decreased and stage 2 sleep significantly increased. Aspirin also significantly disrupted intra-subject night-to-night continuity of several sleep stages during drug and recovery nights.

Link

----

Glycine reliably produces this core temperature change in a way that promotes better sleep quality. It won’t necessarily get someone to sleep faster, but it will enable him to enter into and stay in the restorative deep sleep phases for longer periods.

Link

kiran

gretchen said:
I've been taking an aspirin at night and feel it has some strange effects.

Like... ?

You can't leave us hanging like that.

honeybee

I've been taking 325 mg aspirin, 250 Niacinamide & 200 mg mag before bed for the past 4 nites and I am OUT. I don't have problems with sleep normally though.
Edit my temps have been 98.20 up to 98.40 this is a first for me. I have been struggling in the high 97s with occasional 98s. Hard to tell whichever is doing it -not the mag though I've been taking that at bed forever. I heard Niacinamide is good for stress hormones at nite.

OP
J

j.

The study might be wrong, due to taking it without vitamin k (even from liver) or something like that.

Dan W

j. said:
The study might be wrong, due to taking it without vitamin k (even from liver) or something like that.

Also, 1800mg is an awful lot of aspirin...

I wonder what the mechanism for this is.

Jenn

I always take aspirin at night, but 2- 325mg doses, not 1800mg doses. It's not really fair to compare gelatin and aspirin, they don't do the same thing. I don't consider one a substitute for the other.

Dan W

Reviving this ancient thread to mention something I noticed from the first study. It's hard to conclude much from the results (I wish they'd run the experiment longer), but it appears to me that discontinuing aspirin is more disruptive (at least to REM stability) than its actual use:

aspirin-and-sleep-horne-fig-1.png

That could imply that if a person's going to take aspirin, it's best to do so consistently.