Slade

sladerunner69

20 yrs, male
187 lbs, 11% bf
6'0

Been Peating since May 15th; 3 months.

My top priority is recovering from the persistent sexual and mental side effects of taking Propecia for male pattern baldness 2 years ago, during August of 2011. Also known as Post-finasteride syndrome, the "permanent" side effects of Propecia include impotence, depression, severely reduced cognitive abilities(brain fog), and more. The condition is a result of a complex androgenic insensitivity caused by the drug's DHT inhibiting effects, very similar to extreme cases of hypogonadism. The reduced, or sometimes non-existent androgen function can effect other bodily processes like suppressing the metabolism and neuron inhibition. Anyways, it's been one unholy hell of a nightmare, but I've come along way following a strict whole30/perfect health style diet for the previous 16 months. And now that I've studied and embraced the ways of eating for metabolic drive and oxidative energy, I'm making progress and seeing improvement quicker than ever before. However, I still have a few concerns, perhaps comparitively minor in scope. The first is my skin/complexion, which was perfect in every sense on my moderate-carb paleo. My skin is still good, no acne, but appears pourous, kinda puffy, and not as clear. Also starting to notice some fine lines in my forehead and around my eyes, like the beginnings of wrinkles. I was hoping too avoid wrinkles and aging through this diet/lifestyle. My other main concern is coffee/caffeine. After drinking a few cups a day for a month, my body seems to have adjusted considerably. I no longer have to endure a mentally and physically draining crash after just one cup, but I still get withdrawal sypmtoms when I don't have it and an eventual worsening of my brain fog when I do. I'm also thinking the coffee might have something to do with my skin issues. Both of these problems may be due to my aforementioned condition; I've read that pfs causes the body to favor the production of estrogen, cortisol and prolactin over testosterone and dopamine. When I take pregnenelone, it feels like taking a cap full of stress and anxiety. Anyways, overall my health has improved dramatically during the past 3 months, and that's encouraging. I'm optimistic that through adhering to Dr. Peat's principles I can beat this thing by the new year and bring an end this shitty chapterof my life. If anyone has any input on my skin/coffee issues im all ears. My diet is on point as far as I know: (One day) 2 or more quarts strained fresh squeezed oj, some melon/grapes, 3-4 pastured eggs, 3-5 cups coffee w/sugar, 2 quarts 1%milk (added vitA only, tolerated well), 3-4 cups beef bone broth, sometimes liver/shellfish/groundbeef, 1-2 tsp baking soda, 3 tsp salt, 650mg aspirin, carrot salad pre-sleep, 6 drops thorne d/k, 250 watts of incandescent lamps most of the time. Have yet to try thyroid, vit E, but doubtful that either could mean much to a 20 year old with a history of "clean" eating and strength training.

J

j.

What's your brand and dose of pregnenolone, that makes you feel stressed and anxious?

J

j.

My acne and dandruff disappeared with vit A supplementation. I take one 50,000 pill once or twice a week. I would do a smaller dose more frequently, but haven't found one low dose vit A that agrees with me yet.

OP
sladerunner69

sladerunner69

I use MRM 50 mg capsules. The only additional ingredient is microcrystalline cellulose. I've felt the same even after splitting the cap and dumping the powder into water. I get a very similar anxiety a couple hours after drinking alcohol, so I'm inclined to think my body is just taking the preg and churning out estrogen.

Acne and dandruff have never really been a problem for me. My skin just doesn't look as good as it did on my previous diet. And my eyes look tired and almost old: dark bags underneath and starting to get wrinkles. I do eat eggs everyday and 1/4-1/2lb liver once a week, so I should be getting enough vit A. 50,000 2x/week sounds like a lot, I've read that too much can cause dry skin and vision problems.

OP
sladerunner69

sladerunner69

About 125g p/day, sometimes more if I'm eating liver or shellfish. I do weightlift 2-3x/week, should I be getting more?

HDD

The progesterone receptor (if you believe in such a thing), is a protein. To use progesterone you need adequate protein. Ray Peat mentions he "doesn't feel quite right" if he gets less than 100g a day. I need more. If you don't get enough protein (and progesterone will raise the demand) your body will use up the protein most easily available: that's the one in your skin. 
Usually you notice it first below your eyes. 
If you make sure to eat enough potatoes, the effect will disappear again.

This quote is from a thread about progesterone but the part about protein is what came to mind when you described the area under your eyes.

I would think the amount of protein you need would depend on your metabolism.

OP
sladerunner69

sladerunner69

That's interesting diane, thanks. I don't use progesterone but I do drink coffee throughout the day. I recall Peat saying caffeine can up-regulate progesterone. I've heard red light has a similar effect, as well as aspirin... I'm using all three generously. And further, considering I'm young/active, it's not hard to think my metabolism is demanding significantly more than Peat's personal 80-120g.

But where should it come from? Potatoes? It would take 5 medium russets to obtain another 20g of protein. And I don't always feel great after eating only one, something about the starch and endotoxin. I suppose I could try more milk, but I' m already drinking 2 quarts and I'm sort of concerned with the fukishima radiation that many are claiming has contaminated all dairy here on the west coast. I'm not eating much beef anymore, aside from bone broth. Maybe I'll try a serving of ground beef per day, and counterbalance it with a cup of broth. Or maybe I need to get on this great lakes gelatin grind everyone seems so keen on.

J

j.

Peat keeps his heart rate at 95 with thyroid, so his daily protein needs are probably higher than the typical 76-year old person.

OP
sladerunner69

sladerunner69

Holy tolito, that is up there for a man of his age. Is thyroid the main way of increasing hr? How far will just a good metabolic diet go in terms of pulse? Btw where did you get 76? I heard he was in his late 80's.

HDD

Increased metabolism requires more nutrients. When my metabolism increased, I began to get different dry skin issues. I started taking topical vitamin A and it cleared up.

J

j.

I think diet might get you to the healthy rate of 85, I think 95 is beyond what nature typically does.