Skua's Weightloss and Health Problems Log

fr@

i think he admitted he likes them but the process of the body making them is stressful.
someone posted on here or elsewhere that babies are in ketosis despite consuming lots of fructose/sugars from milk etc... apparently if the metabolic rate is fast enough, you can possibly be in keto while still consuming carbs?
ketones are used as performance enhancer arent they? not sure how it works consuming them? do any foods contain them, didnt Ray say certain foods have "keto acids" are those the same? potatoes and some fruits contain keto acids?
Thanks, I'll look more into it.

I find it interesting that if your metabolic rate is fast enough you can be in keto (probably produce endogenous ketones, but not in ketosis) while still consuming carbs.
I've also heard of these 'keto acids' like from potato juice, but didn't look into it further.

My question with that is (about the potato juice), is there are difference from just eating a whole boiled potato from juicing it?
['Cause I always eat potatoes.]

Also at the moment, I can't think of better keywords to look for fruits containing keto acids.

Last edited:
OP
skuabird

skuabird

So how did you got over your mono or are you still going through it? 'Cause on my end, I've already fixed a bunch of health issues from doing keto. I know that it sucks though, to me (back then) I'd always get: morning sniffles, sorethroat, random muscle pains, restless lower back & calves syndrome, chronic fatigue, brain fog, etc
I might still have it or some autoimmune stuff going on (it seems connected, although I have had arthritis since 17 and mono a summer in my early twenties).

Something (could be spike protein from covid or vaxx shedding, stress from moving or just finally getting warn down on carnivore, fasting and cold showers) really messed me up, cycled through it every month of extreme fatigue, dry eyes, vision changes and swollen salivary glands (think mumps, but swole more internally so I'd catch my teeth on the inside of my mouth). My joint pain wasn't as bad, though I'd get spasms and stiffening in my back. And fatigue was bad all the time, it'd just get worse in these bouts....until I tried ivermectin and H1/H2 blockers.

The first round felt super weird. Like chills down your spine when you're deeply connecting with someone or having an epiphany. It was intense for a couple days with the antihistamines, like the nerves in the back of my neck and head were electric. During the second round (two weeks later) this sensation was very minor. But it took about two weeks for the fatigue to start to lift. And an external/obvious sign was my salivary glands didn't swell (they did every month for 6-7 months prior).

I know majority of the forum don't like ivm. I don't want to promote it- but that and/or taking H1/H2 at the same time really changed something for me. I'm still having issues...vision changes (maybe related to HBP), arthritis esp in the morning but my fatigue is waaaaaaay better.

Dr. B

Thanks, I'll look more into it.

I find it interesting that if your metabolic rate is fast enough you can be in keto (probably produce endogenous ketones, but not in ketosis) while still consuming carbs.
I've also heard of these 'keto acids' like from potato juice, but didn't look into it further.

My question with that is (about the potato juice), is there are difference from just eating a whole boiled potato from juicing it?
['Cause I always eat potatoes.]

Also at the moment, I can't think of better keywords to look for fruits containing keto acids.
i thought its in all potato, in the potato protein?
it shouldnt be different
maybe juice is more concentrated, if you make literal potato juice the way you do orange juice
i dont know how you would make potato juice, since its solid.
i think boiling can reduce nutrients more than other methods, as can microwaving
so it may be best to cook it in the pan like fried in oil (and eat the oils) or bake it in the oven
with boiling you may lose nutrients, and would need to drink the potato juice
i heard keto acids are in many fruits, its how gorillas get muscular off a pure vegetarian diet?

fr@

so it may be best to cook it in the pan like fried in oil (and eat the oils) or bake it in the oven
with boiling you may lose nutrients, and would need to drink the potato juice
Thanks, this makes sense.

i heard keto acids are in many fruits, its how gorillas get muscular off a pure vegetarian diet?
I think they're muscular regardless of the diet, you know just because of their genetic makeup.

Dr. B

Thanks, this makes sense.

I think they're muscular regardless of the diet, you know just because of their genetic makeup.
dont think so mate, the muscle has to be built. it can be attained via fruits thanks to the small amounts protein and keto acids. i guess it can be attained via grass too... i mean it depends how you digest the grass, Ray said its actually the best protein. milk protein is similar to grass protein etc. its just the grass cant be properly digested in the human stomach

fr@

My joint pain wasn't as bad, though I'd get spasms and stiffening in my back. And fatigue was bad all the time, it'd just get worse in these bouts....until I tried ivermectin and H1/H2 blockers.
Ah, so Ivermectin is probably treating parasite issues?

As with the H1/H2 blockers, what are you using (like Benadryl or something)?

Something (could be spike protein from covid or vaxx shedding)
I actually get my daily dose of it... hahaha.

The first round felt super weird. Like chills down your spine when you're deeply connecting with someone or having an epiphany. It was intense for a couple days with the antihistamines, like the nerves in the back of my neck and head were electric. During the second round (two weeks later) this sensation was very minor. But it took about two weeks for the fatigue to start to lift. And an external/obvious sign was my salivary glands didn't swell (they did every month for 6-7 months prior).
At least there were improvements.

But since you mentioned 'they', you mean the doctors prescribed you the Ivermectin & the Histamine Blockers?

I know majority of the forum don't like ivm. I don't want to promote it- but that and/or taking H1/H2 at the same time really changed something for me. I'm still having issues...vision changes (maybe related to HBP), arthritis esp in the morning but my fatigue is waaaaaaay better.
I don't know much about Ivermectin, I think you just have to weigh the consequences.

But eye issues suck really bad, actually all of my brothers wear glasses; and that by itself got me into doing eye exercises along with the consumption of liver.

I actually don't know how beneficial that is, but I just keep at it since I'm noticing some improvements (not that I have eye issues "yet") -- like staring at an object that's really far away (mostly trees) and switching from just one eye to the other and also seeing how their 'refresh rate' for each eye; 'cause my right eye has a better vision than my left, but now my left eye is catching up to my right, I also do other eye exercises but it's too much to mention in just one message (but you can always see them on the Internet).

And yeah, I do think it's closely related to HBP too (about the eye issues).

As with Fatigue, I'm just starting to notice the benefits of Allithiamine (B1) and it's doing great for my overall energy.
Along with Daily Coffee + a few drops of D3 (topically) gives me energy through out the day.
So far I'm not having issues yet -- almost a month in on doing so.

fr@

dont think so mate, the muscle has to be built. it can be attained via fruits thanks to the small amounts protein and keto acids. i guess it can be attained via grass too... i mean it depends how you digest the grass, Ray said its actually the best protein. milk protein is similar to grass protein etc. its just the grass cant be properly digested in the human stomach
Ah, I was only thinking about the Myostatin topic when it comes to that.

But thanks, I'll look into it if I find time (I mean it's interesting).

So Grass Protein... I'd be interesting to see some guru in the future practicing a Grass Diet at the same time selling supplements that help digest it; not sure if it would be possible though.

Dr. B

Ah, I was only thinking about the Myostatin topic when it comes to that.

But thanks, I'll look into it if I find time (I mean it's interesting).

So Grass Protein... I'd be interesting to see some guru in the future practicing a Grass Diet at the same time selling supplements that help digest it; not sure if it would be possible though.
Ray said in his article, maybe someday if humans can figure out how to make grass or leaf protein digestible it could be available. cows milks amino acid profile and nutrients, calcium are apparently similar...

fr@

Ray said in his article, maybe someday if humans can figure out how to make grass or leaf protein digestible it could be available. cows milks amino acid profile and nutrients, calcium are apparently similar...
+1

Man, I could only think of the movie Soylent Green (but it's made of humans though).

OP
skuabird

skuabird

I'm just giving an update. I have seen a rheumatologist and got some x-rays- I have not had a follow up. However, during the x-rays the techs were having a hard time getting my whole spine in the picture- definitely lordosis and probably scoliosis. I'm going to a free clinic and feel like I just need to be patient. With everything going on with vaccine mandates I don't know what to expect...

Anyway...it's happening again! I'm starting to get shortness of breath, cold all the time, these horrible chronic headaches. At first I was like, oh, maybe I have covid? But again: no fever, no cough, no nausea or flu. It came on very slowly over the course of a couple weeks. First just annoying vision changes and eye-floaters, maybe some shifts in blood pressure, waking up at 4am unable to sleep and stomach aches....then the headaches, bouts of hypoventilating, a couple nights of a swollen tongue and bouts of feeling very cold and fatigued. I'm seeking my bed in the day again with headaches and brain fog. Just generally, I'm still gaining weight and my hair is graying a lot.

So what I know it's not:
- it's not vitamin d supplementation or hypercalcemia (I stopped supplementing and am just trying to get sun)
- my folate/b12 were normal
- iron and ferritin are normal
- my blood panel is all normal except a little low in D (when supplementing with 5000-10000 iu/day- again, not anymore)

Maybe sleep apnea? I'm going to keep trying to figure it out :( I've been trying to sleep more on the floor to try and let gravity sort things out a bit but it may be disrupting my sleep too much.

OP
skuabird

skuabird

Ok, sleep apnea could be caused by silent reflux. Silent reflux totally fits the bill, I think I've had it since I was a kid- excessive throat clearing and this weird sensation/sound of gurgling in tubes when laying down. I also had recurrent ear infections as a kid. Silent reflux seems to be changing my breathing, especially at night.

And it seems to be low stomach acid, not high. I have pepsin pills that I used semi-regularly because I struggled especially with meat (especially fatty meat). A diet with less meat has led to taking the pills less. I've gone down the probiotic rabbit hole many times. I've done GAPs. I've also tried NAC, zinc carnosine and mastic gum for h. pylori, however, I am continually gaining weight not losing it (h pylori seems unlikely). I want to eat food to ease stomach discomfort even when I'm not hungry.

what i'm going to try:
- Cutting coffee. I notice I feel uncomfortable after coffee and find it hard to work out without triggering acid to come up
- Cutting carbonated waters
- Eating ginger and apple cider vinegar before meals (maybe getting bitters)
- Taking betaine HCL/Pepsin/Gentian Bitters pills at every meal
- De-stressing before meals, eating mindfully, sitting down
- Sticking to smaller meals
- Not eating or drinking three hours before bed
- Edit: oh and diaphragmatic breathing!

I'm also being tempted to go back to more carnivore ways. Not full, just partial. Like a diet of mostly meat and dairy, some in-season fruit.

Last edited:

fr@

[Sorry... another TL;DR.]

What I could say at the moment:

-Your shortness of breath might be some form of Histamine Issue (or it might be Auto-Immune)?
+So were you having a variety of foods or do you eat the same thing all the time?
+I know it's kinda tough coming from a Keto diet (or any restrictive diet for years) then all of the sudden you add back foods that you don't normally eat.
+Actually, Coffee for me back then gives me a hard time breathing along with the tightness of chest and throat.
+So for about a year of me trying to 'Peat Out' my diet, I just kept eating the same foods all the time -- it's just recently were I've been adding other stuff.
+And it went the same for the supplements, I did the same thing for a bout a year of 'Peating' to the best of my understanding.
+Also just remembered, fillers from supplements might give you these issues as well (and I've experience that a whole lot with cheaper supplements).

-As with Vitamin-D, I've been supplementing it back again constantly.
+I just use it topically (most likely I get under 1000 IU a day and up to 2000 IU max).
+I just use since I get a noticeable increase in Energy & Overall Mood.

-As with the B Vitamins, I just eat Beef Liver & Heart daily.
+By the end of the week, I probably get around 4 oz of Liver consumed.
+As with the Beef Heart, I consume around 8 pieces of it everyday (1 tsp = 1 piece).
+These 2 also attenuates the supplementation of additional B1 & B3.

-As with sleeping, the Inclined Bed approach (6" elevated where your head rests) works for me.
+You can easily just stack books or anything that would elevate the foot of your bed 6" from the ground.
+I'm not saying that it would totally improve your sleep, but it helped my Overall Blood Circulation.
+You can look that up over the Internet, something like 'Inclined Bed Therapy'.

-As with the supplements, I think this will help you a lot (though this has been mentioned already):
+Thiamine all through out the day *increases your Glucose Metabolism
+Niacinamide all through out the day *same as above along with other the stuff it does
+Magnesium all through out the day *if I'm not getting enough I get noticeable spasms
+Aspirin all through out the day *I guess this is the ultimate supplement of them all
+Taurine all through out the day *it'll help your Overall Blood Flow
+High Gamma Vitamin-E *it'll scrub off PUFAs (not just preserve it)
+Progesterone only at bed time *if you wake-up too early, just take another shot.
>This approach works from my experience, though you still have to cycle off from it as they say.

-As with Vitamin-K, I have a love/hate relationship with it (lol)...
+'Cause I get issues from taking it.
+But now I'm using Health Natura's MK-7 topically and notice that I'm not getting my usual side-effects from supplementing Vitamin-K (yet).
+And I only use it because I'm taking Aspirin

-As with something that I'm yet about to try soon:
+Biotin *since they say it also increases your Glucose Metabolism
>I'll probably give this a shot when I'll be eating too much carbs in one sitting.
>Or probably around bed time, since some people say that it makes them sleepy.
+TMG *to be used when I'm about to high dose Niacinamide
+NDT *I'm not so inclined to try it out just yet, as it might jack-up my Heart Rate.

-As with COVID
+I hang around a lot with people that are vaccinated.
+I also sweat with a lot of different folks from time to time.
+I take Oil of Oregano before any socialization happens and take another shot of it before eating Raw Carrots (close to dinner) *nothing scientific, just me thinking that it helps.
+Having experienced this whole COVID situation for more than a year now, makes me not concerned about the virus anymore.

Btw, can you try/stick with these food selection?

-Top Round Ground Beef
-Beef Liver & Beef Heart
-Potatoes
-Salt
-Skimmed Milk
-Any Orange Fruit Variety (maybe 1-2 max just for Vitamin-C)

[And everything cooked is basically just boiled.]

Eggs could be added several times a week just for Choline and at the same time gauge whether you have issues w/ Eggs.

*But if I had the budget, I'd be willing to go w/ the little-to-no-starch approach.*

And for the supplements:

-Pretty much what's mentioned above...
-Thiamine, Niacinamide, D3, MK-7, High Gamma E, Magnesium (Glycinate &/or Bicarbonate), Aspirin, Taurine, Progesterone
-Just a fair warning, Niacinamide & TTFD were a bit tricking for me to supplement.
+Since it gives me unwanted side-effects and that only by microdosing both gave me tolerance (and it only happened as of late).
+Where now I can take 50mg of TTFD & 500mg of Niacinamide with no issues (still on observation).
+Also I find it easier to take if I have lots of B Vitamins from the diet already (that's why I consume Liver & Heart daily).

So basically this is a Low Fat approach, and I honestly believe that it'll help you lose weight regardless of whether you exercise or not (but maybe just move around or use a rebounder/trampoline).

I also wouldn't be so concerned about the Total Calories for the entire week, my thoughts about it is just to make your body get used on using carbs and get good at using it.
Kind of like Keto where you force yourself to consume fats to get good at using fats as energy, but in reverse.

After a while of doing so, I'd suppose you'll start having more energy and be really able to engage into a proper Physical Training Regimen (ie. just Plain Resistance Training).
On that phase, you can then start changing your macros based on your preference.

On a side note, I think relying on HCL every meal would give you Stomach Ulcers -- that's why I only take it on special occasions.

And just to sum it up, a very simple Low Fat diet along w/ the supplementation of Thiamine & Niacinamide is good enough by my standards to improve one's health; and also using a rebounder regularly (can't help but stress enough the use of rebounder, haha).

OP
skuabird

skuabird

-Your shortness of breath might be some form of Histamine Issue (or it might be Auto-Immune)?
Doubtful. In the past, esp carnivore, I tried to keep histamine as low as possible and the first time I started having sleep apnea was back then. I also have tried all sorts of antihistamines at this point. Pepcid makes things worse and it makes me more likely to wake up a 4am.
I think it may be more structural obstruction/inflammation. Also pressure on my stomach from my bad posture pushing acid up. I have tendency to sleep on my back and I hate pillows for some reason.

+So were you having a variety of foods or do you eat the same thing all the time?
I haven't changed my diet much. I have three eggs almost everyday, about 4-8 cups of skimmed milk, usually some meat for dinner (a chicken breast or ground beef with fat drained) and fresh fruit (melons or pitted fruit like peaches). I eat rice because its cheap but not everyday (like every third day). I was drinking orange juice but stopped again. I eat canned oysters, chicken hearts and beef liver minimally (like oz/week, more when craving). Potatoes and tomatoes cause problems so I avoid them unless I make chili (my husband loves it so...). Sometimes I eat too late, right before sleep, and I know that causes problems for me. Milk before bed is a problem too.

Digestive issues were mostly resolved on dairy-free carnivore although I did feel at times my acid was too low to digest meat. Then the health problems started (including noticeable sleep apnea). I was pretty stressed, so that could be most of it.

I felt the best with a more Peaty diet with raw milk and the kefir I made from it but I can't afford it now (I've been out of work for a year now). My digestion has definitely declined since.

Supplements also haven't changed: I have ~500mg niacidamide/day, calcium pyruvate, thiamine, magnesium, progesterone, pregnanlone, dhea, thyroid, taurine. Probably more I'm forgetting. I was taking k2 every day but now take it 1-2/week. Blood tests show I'm not deficient in anything.

I do not use NSAIDs, including aspirin, unless I absolutely can't stand the pain (period cramps). They give me stomach aches and mouth ulcers within a couple of days of use.

I continue to do my mcgill big three everyday and added some light strength training (pushups, kettlebell rows, planks). (I still can't do things like weighted squats, deadlifts or kettlebells swings because it tweaks out my back). Still gaining weight- I'm 260lb or more now. Fasting and carnivore are looking better and better.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I am not sure how old you are but maybe it is peri menopause and you are having trouble due to less progesterone and increased estrogen.

When you are short of breath try breathing into a paper bag. I had that unable to breathe deeply and the bag breathing helps.

OP
skuabird

skuabird

I am not sure how old you are but maybe it is peri menopause and you are having trouble due to less progesterone and increased estrogen.

When you are short of breath try breathing into a paper bag. I had that unable to breathe deeply and the bag breathing helps.
Im 34. When it happens in the day I usually come to the realization I'm not breathing enough or having very long pauses between.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I felt like I was hyperventilating for no reason. I don’t recall feeling like there were long pauses like you describe, though. Even at 35 I had some changes that were probably the start of peri menopause. The biggest increase in estrogen is around ovulation so keeping track of where you are might help to know if it is estrogen related. I don’t have any solutions, though.

OP
skuabird

skuabird

I felt like I was hyperventilating for no reason. I don’t recall feeling like there were long pauses like you describe, though. Even at 35 I had some changes that were probably the start of peri menopause. The biggest increase in estrogen is around ovulation so keeping track of where you are might help to know if it is estrogen related. I don’t have any solutions, though.
Yeah, I have been wondering about that. I've only had one ovary since 17 so I suspect it'll come early. I've been using progesterone, it is very calming when I think my estrogen is out of control (around ovulation). The high estrogen makes me crazy- can't sleep, delusional/paranoid thoughts, crazy libido.

The shortness of breath happens anytime during my cycle and can last for weeks. It seems to correspond with being very sedentary/sitting too much. It might be related to not breathing fully in and out with my belly. It's strange, but I think my Co2 is too high, O2 too low (and I'm very exercise intolerant when it happens). It seems to be around times I'm gaining weight too- maybe it's caused by obesity and the forces put on my already off posture. It's a feedback loop I need to really fight.

So yesterday I took some HCl pills and it was no bueno. I did a baking soda test first thing this morning and acid seems about right (burp around 1min mark). So probably not going to go crazy with hcl/pepsin pills and just leave it alone. I'm just going to focus on diaphragm/belly breathing- it seems to help a lot.

Dr. B

Yeah, I have been wondering about that. I've only had one ovary since 17 so I suspect it'll come early. I've been using progesterone, it is very calming when I think my estrogen is out of control (around ovulation). The high estrogen makes me crazy- can't sleep, delusional/paranoid thoughts, crazy libido.

The shortness of breath happens anytime during my cycle and can last for weeks. It seems to correspond with being very sedentary/sitting too much. It might be related to not breathing fully in and out with my belly. It's strange, but I think my Co2 is too high, O2 too low (and I'm very exercise intolerant when it happens). It seems to be around times I'm gaining weight too- maybe it's caused by obesity and the forces put on my already off posture. It's a feedback loop I need to really fight.

So yesterday I took some HCl pills and it was no bueno. I did a baking soda test first thing this morning and acid seems about right (burp around 1min mark). So probably not going to go crazy with hcl/pepsin pills and just leave it alone. I'm just going to focus on diaphragm/belly breathing- it seems to help a lot.
why does the estrogen cause crazy libido, wouldnt progesterone increase libido, estrogen being anti metabolic decreases it.
whats your weight and bodyfat percentage?

fr@

Seems like a hard case to crack:
- You can't tolerate Dairy unless it's Raw Milk (maybe Egg Shells?) *no experience w/ Egg Shells though
-Plain Ground Beef still has lots of Fat (since they get it from cuts that aren't bought much)
+That's why I choose Top Round since it's the cheaper option compared to the Loin part
+You'll be way more sure that you'll be getting way less Fat is you get the Top Round part
-You can't tolerate Potatoes which is a good source of Potassium
+So Rice & Cream of Tartar will do?
+But at the same time it's so easy to over consume Rice
-I'm also guessing that you cook your food with Butter (or Coconut Oil)
+Which definitely adds up to your total Fat Intake for the day
+Which is also why I've suggested to just Boil everything that is to be cooked
-You get ulcers from taking Aspirin (maybe taking small doses will help increase your tolerance?)

Since I've heard Low Progesterone & High Estrogen as mentioned by Dolomite, would Calcium D-Glucarate & Progesterone help?

'Cause CDG will for sure pull out Excess Estrogen (not that I understand the exact mechanism on how it works).
But I also take CDG, only once a week though -- just for its proposed Glucoronidation.
'Cause if I take it consecutively, I start feeling my Thyroid when I'm doing neck exercises.

I'm just concerned that you mentioned going back on doing Fasting & Carnivore.
Though physique wise, you'll for sure lose weight -- but at the cost of getting a significant increase in Serotonin.
And that Serotonin will lead to Fibrosis... and that Fibrosis can happen "anywhere".

And this whole topic about Fibrosis is what got me committed into this Ray Peat approach to dieting.
Asides from this really bothering Liver Inflammation which I had back then, after years on a Fat Based Diet (Keto for short).

fr@

why does the estrogen cause crazy libido, wouldnt progesterone increase libido, estrogen being anti metabolic decreases it.
whats your weight and bodyfat percentage?
She mentioned that she's around 260 lbs now, not sure what bodyfat percentage though.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals