Skua's Weightloss and Health Problems Log

OP
skuabird

skuabird

10000IU is megadose? whats the side effects with 10kIU?

btw, for people with kidney diseases etc, they give drugs like phosphate inhibitors or things that help excrete phosphate. theres a bunch of posts here on the forums too about phosphate lowering or PTH lowering drugs helping kidney disease.
Well, i think i may have had hypercalcemia (calcium being pulled from bones) back in dec, but by the time I went to the dr this month it seemed to have resolved. Strangely my labs (this month) show I have a deficency in vitamin d.

I would stop taking d but it seems to give me a reprieve from joint pain. I recently tried to stop taking it (5000iu d + k) and after a day I had very bad arthritis again. Feet, knees, lower back.

That is interesting about phosphate...i was on a very high phosphate diet with no calcium to balance for a very long time. I really have been enjoying eggs and dairy instead of eating meat all the time.

Dr. B

Well, i think i may have had hypercalcemia (calcium being pulled from bones) back in dec, but by the time I went to the dr this month it seemed to have resolved. Strangely my labs (this month) show I have a deficency in vitamin d.

I would stop taking d but it seems to give me a reprieve from joint pain. I recently tried to stop taking it (5000iu d + k) and after a day I had very bad arthritis again. Feet, knees, lower back.

That is interesting about phosphate...i was on a very high phosphate diet with no calcium to balance for a very long time. I really have been enjoying eggs and dairy instead of eating meat all the time.
hoe much K daily? what kind is it? im not sure the big doses are safe...

OP
skuabird

skuabird

hoe much K daily? what kind is it? im not sure the big doses are safe...
20210817_095103.jpg

This is the one I take now. Just one.

Vins7

Before finding Ray Peat I was experiencing panic attacks too, where I couldn't breath and sometimes thought i was gonna have a heart attack. They would come on so suddenly. At the same time I was having irregular heart beats, uncomfortably so, where my heart would skip beats and get uncomfortable extra strong beats to make up for it. I could even stop my heart by thinking of something fearful. It was a trick people were impressed with! After wearing a heart monitor for several days I was prescribed heart pills that they said I would have to take the rest of my life. Needless to say I flushed them and dis a lot of reading. It turns out it was my adrenal glands affect my heart. Once I took care my adrenals my heart issues followed and I haven't an issue for a dozen years now. Your extreme dieting like mine sounds like it has taken it's toll. Getting older and being a woman doesn't make things any easier. There is a product I took for my panic attacked called "Happy Camper". I only took a half dose and boy did it help for weeks at a time. I think you should consider the adrenal angle.
What was the main change you made that helped your adrenal glands? A diet change?

OP
skuabird

skuabird

looks like a good brand, what's the brand name? is this on amazon? ingredients look very clean, they don't even use any oil for the vitamins...?
Amazon - micro ingredients is the brand name. I'd give you the product link but I can't figure it out on my phone app.

What was the main change you made that helped your adrenal glands? A diet change?
Taking Happy Camper a couple of times helped a lot, but it was about the same time that I went on the Blood Type Diet. I think upping my meat consumtion was helpful and I ate a lot of black eyed peas and black beans which probably mopped up a lot estrogens.

fr@

whats HBP
whats the benefit of policosanols and olive leaf extract, and which brands do you use for both?
where do you get allithiamine and whats the benefit of it?

i have island nutrition olive leaf extract, expensive stuff on amazon...
What I meant by HBP is High Blood Pressure.
As with the Policonsanols, I've just heard it from some Danny Roddy episode that it displaces PUFAs (there's also a thread about it in this forum as well).
Policonsanols also has some Minor Benefit to Lowering Blood Pressure, but I mainly use it to my Lower Cholesterol as I was getting Extreme Numbers w/ my HDL + LDL.
And to my experience, it worked way better for me compared to using Red Yeast Rice ('cause Red Yeast Rice gives me stomach issues like Bloating; probably the Yeast?).
As with the Olive Leaf Extract, I mainly use it for lowering my Blood Pressure as well.
As with Allithiamine, I could just get a sense that I'm more able to use Carbs way better (now that I know how to dose it for myself).
Also if I take Allithiamine in its full dose: my vision gets way more clearer, I can hold my breath for longer without stressing, a rush of energy.

As with what I currently use (in regards to those mentioned above):

- PureBulk Octacosanol 30% (I take this on my first meal of the day)
- Thorne Olive Leaf Extract (I take this on my end of day meal)
- Ecological Formulas Allithiamine (I microdose it through out the day; same with Niacinamide)

~I've already experienced a lot of bad issues from cheaper products (ie. Protein Powders, Amino Acids, etc), that's why I'm way more easily to get bought/trolled by the more expensive ones... so I'm willing to try what you've mentioned which is Island Nutrition (haha).~

***Note that there's nothing Scientific to what I'm saying, I'm just stating personal experience.***

Note that I've been doing Keto/Carnivore since 2015 (and only stopped late 2019), maybe that could give you a better visual on why I'm doing such things.
Before that I was doing the Lean Gains Method when I like was 15 (...the memories, lol; you know: The Hodge Twins, Elliot Hulse, etc.) so I was into Fasting way before.
Then my way of Fasting went too extreme once I started Keto after hearing the buzzword 'Autophagy'... hahaha, so Dry Fast, Alternate Day, Long Term, etc (you name it).
And in the middle of that I also did a short stint of Vegan Dieting prior to doing Keto (minus the Religious practice) in hopes of solving my Gout issues (which it did).
But I was able to understand it way more that it's not the Meats that's causing Gout after going Keto/Carnivore past 1 year.
Though the amount of Fructose in one sitting could affect it greatly, so I keep my Fruit Intake just a piece per meal (ie. 1x Whole Orange).

[Excuse me for adding the unnecessary/unrelated sentences (like the diet history, etc).]

OP
skuabird

skuabird

Note that I've been doing Keto/Carnivore since 2015 (and only stopped late 2019), maybe that could give you a better visual on why I'm doing such things.
Before that I was doing the Lean Gains Method when I like was 15 (...the memories, lol; you know: The Hodge Twins, Elliot Hulse, etc.) so I was into Fasting way before.
I was literally just telling someone about lean gains. Lol. I also followed the Hodge twins and Hulse. We have a lot of diet history in common...except I was in my early twenties, I think.

fr@

I was literally just telling someone about lean gains. Lol. I also followed the Hodge twins and Hulse. We have a lot of diet history in common...except I was in my early twenties, I think.
Haha, nice!

But I'm still contemplating on whether the Fasting & Keto Diets really benefit people, or maybe they just fix something for the short-term then eventually create something they'll regret in the long-run (like a point of no return scenario).

I mean, just imagine the amount of Cortisol & Phosphorus accumulated all through out that practice.

OP
skuabird

skuabird

Haha, nice!

But I'm still contemplating on whether the Fasting & Keto Diets really benefit people, or maybe they just fix something for the short-term then eventually create something they'll regret in the long-run (like a point of no return scenario).

I mean, just imagine the amount of Cortisol & Phosphorus accumulated all through out that practice.
When I think of all the things I tried (especially to lose weight) a bodybuilding style- eat five meals a day with protein at every meal- made me feel the best while losing. I was eating dairy for that time (greek yogurt and whey). I also was running and lifting weights. I felt great and really energetic. That was before mono too...which really messed me up energetically. And then I couldn't seem to calm down arthritis without cutting caesin and whey (looking back I'm wondering if it was more structural issues manifesting).

Since then, fasting helped lose weight as long as I was active (either labor job or just working out a lot) but I'd always gain it back...it felt like my body would hit a point and stress/sleep would get too distupted to continue and I'd plateau and eventually fall off the diet after no longer benefiting or even gaining a cortisol belly.

I think there is something to pushing yourself to be more resilient...but the line has never been very clear for me.

Dr. B

When I think of all the things I tried (especially to lose weight) a bodybuilding style- eat five meals a day with protein at every meal- made me feel the best while losing. I was eating dairy for that time (greek yogurt and whey). I also was running and lifting weights. I felt great and really energetic. That was before mono too...which really messed me up energetically. And then I couldn't seem to calm down arthritis without cutting caesin and whey (looking back I'm wondering if it was more structural issues manifesting).

Since then, fasting helped lose weight as long as I was active (either labor job or just working out a lot) but I'd always gain it back...it felt like my body would hit a point and stress/sleep would get too distupted to continue and I'd plateau and eventually fall off the diet after no longer benefiting or even gaining a cortisol belly.

I think there is something to pushing yourself to be more resilient...but the line has never been very clear for me.
whey and casein, and milk messed your arthritis?
could be A1 issues casein, could be iodine added to non organic dairy products, if they werent organic whey theres lots of issues

Dr. B

Taking Happy Camper a couple of times helped a lot, but it was about the same time that I went on the Blood Type Diet. I think upping my meat consumtion was helpful and I ate a lot of black eyed peas and black beans which probably mopped up a lot estrogens.
whats happy camper, cant find it from searching, is it a supplement of some kind

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210817-230909_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210817-230909_Samsung Internet.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210817_231033.jpg
    20210817_231033.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210817_231047.jpg
    20210817_231047.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 6

fr@

I guess the only benefit from pushing yourself and being resilient from doing Keto & Fasting are the Ketones the you Endogenously produce?

I've also heard something from Ray Peat (could not remember which video or podcast it was), but he said something like 'Ketones are a protective fuel' and also stuff like 'they're more easier to use than Glucose'.

Also as far as Low-Carb Science goes, Ketones are the go to fuel of the Heart & Brain; not sure how true that is though, but from my experience -- this long-term Keto Dieting increased my focus beyond expectation (during that practice); like all of the sudden I could just start reading books at the same time enjoying it; I've actually read quite a lot of books after getting past the "Keto Flu", and if I'll be listening to something, let's say a podcast, my default was always 2.5x speed while still having some comprehension going on.

So the question is, would a supplemental form of Exogenous Ketones be beneficial?

[Like having the best of both worlds, you have Glucose & Ketones at the same time; not sure if it's a good idea though.]

I know it's expensive, so I haven't tried that yet.

OP
skuabird

skuabird

I guess the only benefit from pushing yourself and being resilient from doing Keto & Fasting are the Ketones the you Endogenously produce?

I've also heard something from Ray Peat (could not remember which video or podcast it was), but he said something like 'Ketones are a protective fuel' and also stuff like 'they're more easier to use than Glucose'.

Also as far as Low-Carb Science goes, Ketones are the go to fuel of the Heart & Brain; not sure how true that is though, but from my experience -- this long-term Keto Dieting increased my focus beyond expectation (during that practice); like all of the sudden I could just start reading books at the same time enjoying it; I've actually read quite a lot of books after getting past the "Keto Flu", and if I'll be listening to something, let's say a podcast, my default was always 2.5x speed while still having some comprehension going on.

So the question is, would a supplemental form of Exogenous Ketones be beneficial?

[Like having the best of both worlds, you have Glucose & Ketones at the same time; not sure if it's a good idea though.]

Yeah, I think I've heard the H.V.M.N. podcast (on youtube) talk about giving athletes exogenous ketones while competing. That includes athletes not on keto diets...and it upping their performance.

I haven't mentally picked apart what benefits I had from ketones. It was clear entering ketosis after running and eating low carb felt very euphoric and stimulating. But after a while (couple weeks?) it felt too much like running on fumes (cortisol/adrenals). I would be interested on experimenting with some cycling...maybe once fresh in season fruit is less available.

Dr. B

i think he admitted he likes them but the process of the body making them is stressful.
someone posted on here or elsewhere that babies are in ketosis despite consuming lots of fructose/sugars from milk etc... apparently if the metabolic rate is fast enough, you can possibly be in keto while still consuming carbs?
ketones are used as performance enhancer arent they? not sure how it works consuming them? do any foods contain them, didnt Ray say certain foods have "keto acids" are those the same? potatoes and some fruits contain keto acids?

fr@

Yeah, I think I've heard the H.V.M.N. podcast (on youtube) talk about giving athletes exogenous ketones while competing. That includes athletes not on keto diets...and it upping their performance.

I haven't mentally picked apart what benefits I had from ketones. It was clear entering ketosis after running and eating low carb felt very euphoric and stimulating. But after a while (couple weeks?) it felt too much like running on fumes (cortisol/adrenals). I would be interested on experimenting with some cycling...maybe once fresh in season fruit is less available.
Ah, so they did tried exogenous ketones for non-keto dieters and upped their performance (that's interesting) -- I've heard of HVMN back then, but not that much.

As with long-term keto dieting, I could kind of say the same, like it only had a 'honey moon' period after going past this keto-flu, then after that it's just the indoctrination/increased adrenaline response that kept you going (also depends on how hard you got sold on it) that being in the state of nutritional-ketosis is the optimal state that human body should be...

An example of that indoctrination from my experience was after hitting my 2nd year of keto dieting, where there's a been a trending noticeable decrease in my strength performance; but at the back of my head, I kind of gave myself a pat in the back like "you've basically just hit a new threshold with your mind/muscle connection", as if I've leveled-up or something, haaah.

Asides from that, I think it aged me a lot faster, I've noticed it first with my hands, where I started seeing patches of drier and wrinkly skin; but I'm sort of reversing it now from just keeping my stress low (which is very difficult) but ultimately just not getting into a state of ketosis -- hence taking stuff like aspirin & niacinamide (asides from eating carbs).

And speaking of aging faster, I've remembered a keto influencer, I think she's called the the ketogenic girl or something, I don't know her age, but the structure of her face makes me think that she's relatively young but her complexion says otherwise; and I kind of thought of the same from my experience after going past 4 years of that way of dieting, and I could see it clearly on my skin since I started keto on a lower body fat percentage already (and it even got lower in the process); on average, I'm around 11-13% and in the process of keto dieting I got into single digits, and along those single digits are the wrinkles on my skin (lol).

As with carb cycling or changing diets in season, I think I'll just do that if I can't choose -- so far I'm fairly comfortable with my metabolism at the moment, like I could confidently fast for 24 hours if I wanted to but would rather appreciate satiating my appetite; like my version of 'fasted workouts' these days, where I basically just drink coffee + sugar through out the activity (I keep the coffee to a minimum, then just continue on with some juice if there's juice around), I still haven't tried it with BCAAs though.

Also I just remembered you mentioning 'mono', and I could kind of relate to it since I had an un-clinically diagnosed fibromyalgia (since my doctors just said "it's just all in your head"), I guess the only benefit of having mono is that it can be seen with a blood test... haha. But having symptoms of fibromyalgia (which are a bunch of random stuff) got me started on doing a paleoish diet (previously IIFYM) -- where I basically I just avoid gluten, but there rest are still on like vegetable oils and other food chemicals, lol.

So how did you got over your mono or are you still going through it? 'Cause on my end, I've already fixed a bunch of health issues from doing keto. I know that it sucks though, to me (back then) I'd always get: morning sniffles, sorethroat, random muscle pains, restless lower back & calves syndrome, chronic fatigue, brain fog, etc.

Just trying out the 'Spoiler' feature.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals