Skua's Weightloss and Health Problems Log

So, I suspected my HBP was temporary and did not take my prescription. I should have warned the dr I'm like herding a cat. I did tell her I had a blood pressure monitor and it rarely registered high. Throughout my life, drs, nurses, others, would comment on how low both my pressure and my heart-rate was...it didn't feel great- I was prone to having dizziness upon standing, blacking out and having stars.

I have been logging it. The next morning it was 121/68 and rises during the day, especially if I am active. Lately in the morning it has been under 120 and under 80. In any case, salt seems to really sky rocket it and sweating a lot lowers it pretty fast. I'm not eating salt unless I really crave it.
My doctor said the same thing, that my blood pressure was healthy and the lowest of 35 patients that she had seen that day. She said if it was any lower I would pass out. Coincidentally I did have fainting spells as a child and until my early 30's. I haven't had any episodes since, almost 3 decades later. If I were to think about what might have made the difference I would say maybe adding in red meat and seafood. I didn't eat any of them until my early 30's.

fr@

Thanks for bringing up the Salt part!

I've just correlated the trending pulsating feeling that I get with my feet after eating.
'Cause normally I have a small container of Salt with me while having some food.
And every time I take a bite, I put a pinch of Salt to it.
Probably I end up around 3 tsps a day (recently).

Back then when I was Clinically Hypertensive ('cause both of my Systolic & Diastolic were almost the same; ie. 152/147),
The doctors were actually giving me baffled looks after seeing my results which also includes my Lipid Profile.
'Cause they never would've thought that a person my size who's also into sports w/ low body fat could get such numbers (for sure my Trigs were low though).

So I did a little to no Salt diet, which worked for me along with eating Raw Garlic while upping my Potassium (ie. Cream of Tartar) & Magnesium intake.
I was actually prescribed to take the usual BP drugs like Losartan, which I've bought (but I never took).

So definitely I'll keep an eye on my Salt intake as well, and also making sure that I'm getting enough Potassium at the same time.
'Cause lately I've been preferring Rice over Potatoes just because of the taste and also been consuming Salt a bit too much.

Last edited:
OP
skuabird

skuabird

My doctor said the same thing, that my blood pressure was healthy and the lowest of 35 patients that she had seen that day. She said if it was any lower I would pass out. Coincidentally I did have fainting spells as a child and until my early 30's. I haven't had any episodes since, almost 3 decades later. If I were to think about what might have made the difference I would say maybe adding in red meat and seafood. I didn't eat any of them until my early 30's.
Wow. Yeah, when I was a child (when it was the worse) I didn't eat a lot of red meat or seafood...maybe hamburger helper once and a while. That's interesting.

@fr@ I haven't been adding salt and I feel fine...I think that doing low carb, keto and carnivore got me in the habit of eating copious amounts of salt! I actually was getting Robb Wolf's electrolyte product, LMNT, along with salting my food, eating salty bacon, etc. Since eating more carbs I've been craving salt a lot less. I am not used to this level of water retention with carbs (I feel like the Michelin Man). However, sometimes I may neglect it too- as that miso soup the other day seemed to sort things out too (lost a lot of retained water weight and actually felt better). But maybe I'm wrong about that, maybe the real help was all the potassium in the seafood. It seems rather unregulated...I hope it's just temporary and not a sign of a bigger issue.

I wanted to respond to something previously but forgot...

From my experience w/ Glyince (supplement), I've stopped it again 'cause I'm getting a noticeable pain, like some nerve swelling at the back of my head (near right ear).
And that only happens when I'm supplementing Glycine for a couple of days straight.
I wanted to suggest a couple things. One is just cheap plain gelatin. I get it at walmart by the jello. You can make jello or use a pack or two to add to your food or beverages. Another thing is making soup out of a whole chicken (or carcass). The skin is a great source and the broth will gel- skim off the fat once it's cool and you won't get the pufas either.

I seem to do fine with glycine by itself, but actual soup seems much more nourishing to my gut.

Wow. Yeah, when I was a child (when it was the worse) I didn't eat a lot of red meat or seafood...maybe hamburger helper once and a while. That's interesting.

@fr@ I haven't been adding salt and I feel fine...I think that doing low carb, keto and carnivore got me in the habit of eating copious amounts of salt! I actually was getting Robb Wolf's electrolyte product, LMNT, along with salting my food, eating salty bacon, etc. Since eating more carbs I've been craving salt a lot less. I am not used to this level of water retention with carbs (I feel like the Michelin Man). However, sometimes I may neglect it too- as that miso soup the other day seemed to sort things out too (lost a lot of retained water weight and actually felt better). But maybe I'm wrong about that, maybe the real help was all the potassium in the seafood. It seems rather unregulated...I hope it's just temporary and not a sign of a bigger issue.

I wanted to respond to something previously but forgot...

I wanted to suggest a couple things. One is just cheap plain gelatin. I get it at walmart by the jello. You can make jello or use a pack or two to add to your food or beverages. Another thing is making soup out of a whole chicken (or carcass). The skin is a great source and the broth will gel- skim off the fat once it's cool and you won't get the pufas either.

I seem to do fine with glycine by itself, but actual soup seems much more nourishing to my gut.
That was me too! We never had meat just hamburger or tuna helper once in a while and cereal. I was on iron pills for enemia because of the constant near black outs and skeletal body frame. We ate well when my mom and dad were married, because of my dad being a health nut, but my mom never cooked after they got divorced when I was 10. That is when my mom went to work and I had to to cook for me and my little brother.

fr@

@skuabird
Yeah, that's what I actually fell into -- that Keto habit of consuming lots of Salt (haha).
As with the water retention, to some degree; rebounding and the supplementation of Serrapeptase does this for me.
And about Potassium, I could honestly tell how it really feels when you don't get enough, as far as the Blood Pressure is concerned.

About Gelatin, I actually bought a tub of Vital Proteins (it also had 1 strand of curly human hair inside the tub).
So I gave that a try (regardless of the strand of hair), but I only had gut issues after a while of using it.
Probably like a couple of days, my bowel movements start to decrease.
And to my imagination, I think the Gelatin kind of glues up what's inside my stomach.
So the next supplemental form that I could try is Collagen... but it's too expensive in relation to its serving size per container.
So what I'll do instead (when I get motivated), is I'll cook a large batch of bones then store it in a chest freezer.

But it's great to hear though that you're doing okay with just Glycine itself.
'Cause if I'm totally okay with just taking Glycine itself, that will be my go.
For now, I'm just relying on: Taurine, Niacinamide, & Aspirin; to mitigate the harmful amino acids (in theory).

OP
skuabird

skuabird

As with the water retention, to some degree; rebounding and the supplementation of Serrapeptase does this for me.
Do you mean you retain water by taking serrapeptase or it reduces it? I'm guessing rebounding and serrapeptase reduce it for you...

Exercise does reduce it- but I have to really move it and sweat...which is hard to do when you feel weighed down by water. But I am making progress. Especially now that I am less fatigued.

One thing I didn't mention is I still get bouts of feeling cold with blue veins usually in the afternoon. It does not seem connected to changes in blood pressure and its way better than it used to be. I used to feel so cold and tired I'd go lay down under the blankets or have a hot shower.

fr@

Do you mean you retain water by taking serrapeptase or it reduces it? I'm guessing rebounding and serrapeptase reduce it for you...

Exercise does reduce it- but I have to really move it and sweat...which is hard to do when you feel weighed down by water. But I am making progress. Especially now that I am less fatigued.

One thing I didn't mention is I still get bouts of feeling cold with blue veins usually in the afternoon. It does not seem connected to changes in blood pressure and its way better than it used to be. I used to feel so cold and tired I'd go lay down under the blankets or have a hot shower.
Sorry for the grammatical error, what I meant was it reduces it (for me) -- what's very noticeable was the use Serrapeptase though.
As with Serrapeptase, cheaper brands like Dr's Best only gets me Beyond Nauseated (especially in multiple doses); just a fair warning for those who might want to try.
And yeah exercise is great but I'd prefer Rebounding and Sauna; and if were to add more to that, that'll be just Basic Weight Training (ie. Deadlifts, Squats, Presses).

As with the bouts of Feeling Cold, maybe there's just a catching up thing to be dealt with, in regards to improving your metabolic rate.
And with the Blue Veins, I could only think of Standing or Sitting or not Changing Positions for Long Periods -- but do you think it's the cause (it might be Hormonal too)?
I just remembered that 'cause my mom keeps on reminding me back then to make sure to move around, 'cause I used to watch TV standing in arms akimbo position.

But it's great to hear that you're getting progress :)

OP
skuabird

skuabird

As with Serrapeptase, cheaper brands like Dr's Best only gets me Beyond Nauseated (especially in multiple doses); just a fair warning for those who might want to try.
I actually am using dr's best. It did upset my stomach for the first week of taking it but I seem to have adapted. Serrapeptase is one supplement I am interested in getting more of once I run out. I suspect it's what helped with my period.

Also, moving around is good advice. When I get cold it usually is after being sedentary for an hour or two.

OP
skuabird

skuabird

Ok, my dr. went over my labs but didn't post them yet. She specifically commented on:

- Vitamin D deficiency (HOW?? I take 5000IU a day, go in the sun at least 15min/day...10000IU in winter)

- Anti-nuclear factor positive (get to see a Rheumatologist in Sept...I have long thought I had an autoimmune disease...it'd be interesting to know which one)

- Hyperlipidemia - High LDL, everything else in range (not really surprised)

- She also said HYPERthyroid and I told her that may be because I have been taking desiccated thyroid. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this when I get the actual numbers but I'll stop taking it for now.

Ok, my dr. went over my labs but didn't post them yet. She specifically commented on:

- Vitamin D deficiency (HOW?? I take 5000IU a day, go in the sun at least 15min/day...10000IU in winter)

- Anti-nuclear factor positive (get to see a Rheumatologist in Sept...I have long thought I had an autoimmune disease...it'd be interesting to know which one)

- Hyperlipidemia - High LDL, everything else in range (not really surprised)

- She also said HYPERthyroid and I told her that may be because I have been taking desiccated thyroid. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this when I get the actual numbers but I'll stop taking it for now.
That is weird because my dad m, who never goes outside or takes vitamin D had lab tests that said his D levels were fine. I was 100% certain that his lack of vitamin D was causing some of his issues. I don't trust doctors or their tests.

OP
skuabird

skuabird

That is weird because my dad m, who never goes outside or takes vitamin D had lab tests that said his D levels were fine. I was 100% certain that his lack of vitamin D was causing some of his issues. I don't trust doctors or their tests.
Yeah, I hear you. I have low trust too.

I searched the forum and some people are saying that vitamin d gets stored in body fat. Maybe my recent fat gain just makes it seem like I'm low in vitamin d, but there's a lot in my body fat?

Yeah, I hear you. I have low trust too.

I searched the forum and some people are saying that vitamin d gets stored in body fat. Maybe my recent fat gain just makes it seem like I'm low in vitamin d, but there's a lot in my body fat?
Well that is an interesting concept cause when my dad got his test he had just lost 28 pounds? I think you are on to something!

OP
skuabird

skuabird

Well that is an interesting concept cause when my dad got his test he had just lost 28 pounds? I think you are on to something!
Aha! That is something.

I just had a thought...When I lost a lot of weight at the end of my carnivore stint, I was supplementing with vitamin d but not eating any good sources of calcium. Weight loss (50lb) + vitamin D may have caused too much vitamin D -> hypercalcemia (from bones):

fatigue
loss of appetite
weight loss
excessive thirst
excessive urination
dehydration
constipation
irritability, nervousness
ringing in the ear (tinnitus)
muscle weakness
nausea, vomiting
dizziness
confusion, disorientation
high blood pressure
heart arrhythmias

Long-term complications of untreated hypervitaminosis D include:
kidney stones
kidney damage
kidney failure
excess bone loss
calcification (hardening) or arteries and soft tissues

I had all those top symptoms in December and I seem to have some bone loss, or weak bones in my spine. Of course I gained all the weight I lost back, added dairy back in and my spine is finally getting stronger. I wonder what would happened if I stopped taking vitamin D? I worry about pain and weakness returning in my back but this is...very interesting. >.>

See @Rinse & rePeat, you were right about supplements :P I think I've been getting myself into trouble.

Aha! That is something.

I just had a thought...When I lost a lot of weight at the end of my carnivore stint, I was supplementing with vitamin d but not eating any good sources of calcium. Weight loss (50lb) + vitamin D may have caused too much vitamin D -> hypercalcemia (from bones):

fatigue
loss of appetite
weight loss
excessive thirst
excessive urination
dehydration
constipation
irritability, nervousness
ringing in the ear (tinnitus)
muscle weakness
nausea, vomiting
dizziness
confusion, disorientation
high blood pressure
heart arrhythmias

Long-term complications of untreated hypervitaminosis D include:
kidney stones
kidney damage
kidney failure
excess bone loss
calcification (hardening) or arteries and soft tissues

I had all those top symptoms in December and I seem to have some bone loss, or weak bones in my spine. Of course I gained all the weight I lost back, added dairy back in and my spine is finally getting stronger. I wonder what would happened if I stopped taking vitamin D? I worry about pain and weakness returning in my back but this is...very interesting. >.>

See @Rinse & rePeat, you were right about supplements :P I think I've been getting myself into trouble.

I love when two great minds come together! I knew from experience that suppliments lead to disaster eventually, but I read it from Ray Peat a little too late! I do think your supplementing D especially in the absence of calcium has caused more problems than the D was worth. This all seems promising! Your post, puting your self out there, was such a good move for you, but now we all get to see the damage suppliments can do and learn. I can't imagine if you didn't put 2 and 2 together what an even deeper hole you would have dug for yourself? I cringe to think. I certainly learned the mystery of my dad's D levels being adequate from his extreme weight loss. How interesting that our bodies can store such ample amounts in fat?

OP
skuabird

skuabird

I got my labs.

Taking desiccated bovine thyroid (1/2 scoop/day) so would expect TSH to be low? I'd like some input on this. Taking pregnenalone, progesterone and thyroid has helped a lot with joint pain...

Thyroxine: 1.7
TSH <0.010

Vitamin D is 27ng/mL

Antibody stuff...I have no idea how to interpret this at all:

positive ANA, IFA - "antibodies associated with connective tissue disease could be positive"
Rheumatoid factor <14
CCP, Antibody (IgG) <16

Ana titer and pattern:
ANA titer 1:160 (reference range: negative)
ANA pattern: nuclear, dense fine speckled

fr@

@skuabird

You got me a bit scared about the Hypervitaminosis D... haha.
I seem to relate with these symptoms: ringing of ears, disorientation, HBP, arrhythmias.
'Cause I was taking D3/K2 as well back then without any Dietary Calcium, so that must have been really the case.

As with Serrapeptase, that's the only thing that I rely on in regards to my Fibrosis issue.
Like from a state of being somewhat incapacitated to being normal (with a 'tiny' bit of a deficit; in terms of competitive sports).
It actually took me like 5+ months of being committed to megadosing, before I was able to get significant results.

I also asked my Lung Doctor back then (years ago) about it, and just told me:

"Nah... that doesn't seem to work, you'll just have to live with it.
But once it gets extremely bothering, that's the time when surgery needs to take place."

...seems to work for me w/o the surgery though, hahaha.

About the Antibody stuff, doesn't it have a reference number where it says if it's good or bad (I have no idea with it either)?

===

How do you guys supplement Vitamin-D though?

'Cause I've been doing it now topically and had seen a huge difference from how I feel back then when taken orally.
I mean, when I was taking it orally I get a boost of energy along w/ some random allergic reactions to it (ie. arthritis, muscle pain, etc).

Dr. B

Nice!

But since you've mentioned HBP, try:

- Policosanols
- Olive Leaf Extract (back then it was Cacao, but little did I know that it was a source of my liver inflammation; for me though)

These 2 did a lot for my cholesterol and blood pressure.

But for all this time (asides from Systemic Enzymes), I think it's the supplementation of Niacinamide and Aspirin that really helps (+ Taurine to counter Tryptophan).

[I'd like to second Allithiamine though, 'cause lately I've discovered how to dose it for myself... which now works for me.]

whats HBP
whats the benefit of policosanols and olive leaf extract, and which brands do you use for both?
where do you get allithiamine and whats the benefit of it?

i have island nutrition olive leaf extract, expensive stuff on amazon...

Birdie

Does anybody have the figures on Ray's recommendations for the Vitamin A to Vitamin D ratio? I've been getting back breakouts again. This happens every time I reduce my vitamin A supplement because I think it's too high.

It happened back in 2011. And it's happening now. Breaking out after I reduced my vitamin A. Was the ratio 5:1? Anyway, every few years I decide I'm taking too much A, reduce it, and within a month or so the breakouts.

OP
skuabird

skuabird

whats HBP
whats the benefit of policosanols and olive leaf extract, and which brands do you use for both?
where do you get allithiamine and whats the benefit of it?

i have island nutrition olive leaf extract, expensive stuff on amazon...
High blood pressure.

In my case the Dr told me when ever my dia number is over 80 there will be some damage to the kidneys. And I feel it...at least uncomfortable changes in my urination. The rest of that @fr@ would need to answer...Im not sure.

And one thing I finally put together is processed meats skyrocket my BP. After like seven or so years of high bacon keto/paleo....I started not being able to handle it. When I was carnivore I thought I was having histamine attacks (feeling very fatigued, cold with subtle headaches that turn in to full migraines at night)...but it was always after eating bacon, salty meat bars (epic) and/or salamis and such. When it really went down hill is when I was really hungry and ate a bunch of salami as a meal...that night I had sleep apnea, sleep paralysis and terrible headaches. It took a while to realize it was HBP.

Does anybody have the figures on Ray's recommendations for the Vitamin A to Vitamin D ratio? I've been getting back breakouts again. This happens every time I reduce my vitamin A supplement because I think it's too high.

It happened back in 2011. And it's happening now. Breaking out after I reduced my vitamin A. Was the ratio 5:1? Anyway, every few years I decide I'm taking too much A, reduce it, and within a month or so the breakouts.
That's interesting. I didn't know that A to D was a particular thing to look out for.

When I was mega dosing with D (10000iu, sometimes more) I was not taking K, A or having a lot of calcium. Since I switched to a vitamin D with K and including dairy I've had noticable improvements...eating liver every once a while helped too (vitamin A is also in the milk, I think).

Dr. B

High blood pressure.

In my case the Dr told me when ever my dia number is over 80 there will be some damage to the kidneys. And I feel it...at least uncomfortable changes in my urination. The rest of that @fr@ would need to answer...Im not sure.

And one thing I finally put together is processed meats skyrocket my BP. After like seven or so years of high bacon keto/paleo....I started not being able to handle it. When I was carnivore I thought I was having histamine attacks (feeling very fatigued, cold with subtle headaches that turn in to full migraines at night)...but it was always after eating bacon, salty meat bars (epic) and/or salamis and such. When it really went down hill is when I was really hungry and ate a bunch of salami as a meal...that night I had sleep apnea, sleep paralysis and terrible headaches. It took a while to realize it was HBP.

That's interesting. I didn't know that A to D was a particular thing to look out for.

When I was mega dosing with D (10000iu, sometimes more) I was not taking K, A or having a lot of calcium. Since I switched to a vitamin D with K and including dairy I've had noticable improvements...eating liver every once a while helped too (vitamin A is also in the milk, I think).
10000IU is megadose? whats the side effects with 10kIU?

btw, for people with kidney diseases etc, they give drugs like phosphate inhibitors or things that help excrete phosphate. theres a bunch of posts here on the forums too about phosphate lowering or PTH lowering drugs helping kidney disease.