Skin Rash Because Of DMSO And/or Chlorine?

frant26

I've been applying DMSO-based supplements from Idealabs on the inner part of my arms, for a couple months already.

I thought I tolerated them well - no irritation so far.

Yesterday I spent some time in the swimming pool (water which of course is treated with chlorine) and I got a skin rash in EXACTLY the places where I typically apply the supplements. Is there some weird interaction with DMSO and chlorine? Why didn't I get irritated skin elsewhere?

One day has passed with no improvement, what can I apply to skin to heal?

Maybe @haidut can shed some light on this?

haidut

Forum Supporter
I've been applying DMSO-based supplements from Idealabs on the inner part of my arms, for a couple months already.

I thought I tolerated them well - no irritation so far.

Yesterday I spent some time in the swimming pool (water which of course is treated with chlorine) and I got a skin rash in EXACTLY the places where I typically apply the supplements. Is there some weird interaction with DMSO and chlorine? Why didn't I get irritated skin elsewhere?

One day has passed with no improvement, what can I apply to skin to heal?

Maybe @haidut can shed some light on this?

It's possible that DMSO sensitizes the skin to irritants so adding chlorine on top of that causes the redness. I think rubbing some coconut oil on the spots before going to the pool should prevent or limit the damage and applied after that should soothe any existing irritation. I get the same reaction to skin spots that I have rubbed ethanol on. Water in public pools has all kinds of poison to control infections, so even without any sensitization many people get skin irritation.

OP
frant26

frant26

It's possible that DMSO sensitizes the skin to irritants so adding chlorine on top of that causes the redness. I think rubbing some coconut oil on the spots before going to the pool should prevent or limit the damage and applied after that should soothe any existing irritation. I get the same reaction to skin spots that I have rubbed ethanol on. Water in public pools has all kinds of poison to control infections, so even without any sensitization many people get skin irritation.

Thanks haidut. Happy it didn't affect my balls. :D

OP
frant26

frant26

Update: I rubbed a little coconut oil and niacinamide (slight itch). Two days already and zero improvement.

It looks like eczema, it's especially bad in the inner side of my elbows.

Last night I tried two drops of Energin (B-vitamin complex dissolved in ethanol and no DMSO) on one part of my right arm. That part is particularly red today, so now I'm suspicious of the ethanol that is also present in other Idealabs supplements.

So I stopped all ethanol/DMSO supplementation. Not happy. From now on, I'm only getting the ones dissolved in tocopherols.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Update: I rubbed a little coconut oil and niacinamide (slight itch). Two days already and zero improvement.

It looks like eczema, it's especially bad in the inner side of my elbows.

Last night I tried two drops of Energin (B-vitamin complex dissolved in ethanol and no DMSO) on one part of my right arm. That part is particularly red today, so now I'm suspicious of the ethanol that is also present in other Idealabs supplements.

So I stopped all ethanol/DMSO supplementation. Not happy. From now on, I'm only getting the ones dissolved in tocopherols.

An itch and ezcema would respond (in theory) to an antihistamine like Benadryl. There are OTC sprays you can buy. If the skin is irritated, I would not rub ethanol on it. Why did you think Energin/ethanol would help? There is nothing specifically irritating about the Energin on a non-irritated skin. At least, I have not gotten reports like this so far.

OP
frant26

frant26

Niacinamide is good for various skin ailments so I thought the one in Energin would help (as it didn't contain DMSO which is my theory). All this of course was triggered by some harsh chemical in that swimming pool's water, I'm pretty sure it's a high concentration of chlorine but I will find out what else they put. What's strange is that I never got such red skin before.

I'm not saying there's anything specifically irritating about Energin. Not sure if there's something with DMSO or ethanol but it's quite a coincidence that, after bathing in the pool, the spots that became red are the EXACT spots I typically rub DMSO/ethanol supplements on. I agree with you that they might be making the skin more sensitive.

Benadryl is a great idea. Thanks @haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Niacinamide is good for various skin ailments so I thought the one in Energin would help (as it didn't contain DMSO which is my theory). All this of course was triggered by some harsh chemical in that swimming pool's water, I'm pretty sure it's a high concentration of chlorine but I will find out what else they put. What's strange is that I never got such red skin before.

I'm not saying there's anything specifically irritating about Energin. Not sure if there's something with DMSO or ethanol but it's quite a coincidence that, after bathing in the pool, the spots that became red are the EXACT spots I typically rub DMSO/ethanol supplements on. I agree with you that they might be making the skin more sensitive.

Benadryl is a great idea. Thanks @haidut

Yes, I concur that both ethanol and DMSO can make the skin more sensitive to irritation from agents like chlorine. So, maybe I would update the threads to say not to use before swimming on chlorinated water. Funny enough, people bathing in the ocean/sea did not experience these effects (for what it's worth from 3-4 reports I got so far) so it's likely that it is either the chlorine or some other disinfectant agent in the pool water. Fluoride is there too and it certainly does not help.

OP
frant26

frant26

Perhaps a n=1 is not enough to recommend not using before chlorinated water, it might be something else wrong with me. I appreciate your responses.

Waynish

Would be cool if you could verify that by trying pure ethanol (or whatever is suspect) on yourself by itself...

Pointless

I got some cologne on a spot I used a drop of 11-keto in DMSO, and there was irritation for days. DMSO is not something you want to mix with any toxin.

Waynish

I got some cologne on a spot I used a drop of 11-keto in DMSO, and there was irritation for days. DMSO is not something you want to mix with any toxin.

Hmmm, maybe it should be considered more of an emergency delivery system.

OP
frant26

frant26

@haidut Would Lisuride help in this case as an antiserotonergic / antihistamine? Yeah, it has DMSO/ethanol. But I'll rub it somewhere new. Curious as a daytime alternative to Benadryl which makes me sleepy.

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut Would Lisuride help in this case as an antiserotonergic / antihistamine? Yeah, it has DMSO/ethanol. But I'll rub it somewhere new. Curious as a daytime alternative to Benadryl which makes me sleepy.

It may, but I would keep the dose low (2-3 drops) as it can also make people sleepy in higher doses.