Skimmed Milk=better Skin, Monounsaturated Fat?

Primal2Peat

Okay, so I get whole raw grass-fed milk, and wanted to lower my fat intake.

I started skimming it, and my skin is clearer. (I'm taking in way more raw honey to compensate for the lost calories.)

I'm wondering if the the monounsaturated fats were causing my skin problems.

I'm still taking in about 3 tbsp of coconut oil every day.

Maybe I have so much stored PUFA, I should only be taking in saturated fats right now?

Also, why are monounsaturated fats not as bad as PUFA's if they're both unsaturated and we're warm-blooded and all that.

Thanks

Satan

Monounsaturated fat isn't bad as long as it's the lower factor in the SFA:MUFA ratio. Unlike PUFA, it still has purpose in our structure. I wouldn't blame the MUFA on your skin problems though. It could be the honey, or the reduced total fat intake that is showing you the benefits.

gabriel79

"why are monounsaturated fats not as bad as PUFA's if they're both unsaturated and we're warm-blooded and all that."
. MUFAs have only one double covalent C=C bond, which is the unstable bond in the molecule. Also the position in the middle of the molecule makes it harder to get oxidized. So, MUFAs are a lot more stable and resistant to peroxidation than PUFAs. Also, the amount of MUFA in your body is not related to how much oleic acid you eat, since you can easily make it yourself from SFAs with desaturasa enzyme.
The positive from skim milk could come from overall fat reduction and increased sugars, shifting energy production more to glucose oxidation than fat (with the increase in CO2 involved)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
gabriel, great post. Thank you.

johnwester130

I am also transitioning to fat free dairy, and making up the difference with coconut oil.

Also, dairy fat has hormones and possible contaminants

dairy fat was giving me problems

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals