Skim Milk Powder Pancakes

schultz

I love these things! I have two kids and I am grateful to find recipes like this.

I like to cook and was fooling around with the recipe. I added an extra yolk to the mix to see what would happen. The seemed to get a little bit fluffier, though it may have been my imagination.

I altered the recipe in an attempt to make sugar cookies. They turned out amazing, though they were a wee bit rich maybe? I did 1 cup milk powder, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 egg, 1/4 cup butter, vanilla, bit of baking soda (eyed it). Cooked for 10min or so on 350deg F. They were remarkably similar to flour cookies.

I never knew you could use milk powder like this. Amazing!

I want to try a cake (wouldn't that be hilarious? A milk cake...) and was pondering a way to somehow make a loaf of bread though that might be silly... it would involve yeast or baking soda for rising lol........... :eek:

Amazoniac

@Lightbringer
nYuKAZC.jpg

I made a pancake here with just milk powder, milk and salt, to see what would happen. It went okay.

I do think an egg would have benefited the recipe but I like the idea of egg free pancakes so I can eat eggs as a snack later.

Your food presentation skills need work,how can a pancake not be round?
You didn't even put it in the middle of the plate, or you could be one of the new hipster alternative chefs doing it all differently?
Looking at this presentation first thing in the morning will raise serotonin!
I wonder if you at least masticated 15 times on each side of the mouth, but restarted counting after someone interrupted in attempt to prevent the early death of that person..

shepherdgirl

Has anyone tried making these with casein powder? Wouldn't the amino acid ratio of casein be better?

Drareg

I wonder if you at least masticated 15 times on each side of the mouth, but restarted counting after someone interrupted in attempt to prevent the early death of that person..

What if you only had one side to your mouth?

moss

@charlie thanks for the great idea.

I just bought some skim milk powder and experimented with
1 egg (separated the yolk and white)
1 cup of skim milk powder
half cup of low fat milk
1 dessert spoon of sugar
2 dessertspoons of gelatin
salt
mix all ingredients including the egg yolk and in another bowl, whisked the egg white to stiff peaks (makes fluffier pancakes) and served with summer fruit and maple syrup, it was OK. I have to say the pancakes were the consistency of a wet dish cloth.... tasted fine but because they do not have flour they don't hold as well in the cooking.
@raypeatclips you did well and they are being very rude about yours!
You have to be careful they don't burn because they take longer to cook right through.
Normally I'd put half to a cup of ricotta in my hotcakes to bump up the protein and will try that will the other half of the mix tomorrow.
You could add skim milk powder to omelettes, frittatas, baked custard, shakes....

Last edited:

Gl;itch.e

Has anyone tried making these with casein powder? Wouldn't the amino acid ratio of casein be better?
just tried. Had to use way more milk. Ended up just burning and falling apart in the pan so I tried baking them in the oven. Worked, but they puffed up a lot and got quite a thick skin.

Will try again at some point and tweak some things

milomag

To not create acrylamide, by cooking slowly and don't allow it to turn brown on the outside? In the same KMUD interview where these type of pancakes were mentioned, Ray mentioned (in another part of the interview, not in relation to these pancakes) that acrylamide should be avoided. I just noticed that these pancakes, could lend themselves to producing acrylamide if cooked too much on the outside.

x-ray peat

While searching for a good brand came across some info
Cholesterol oxidation: Health hazard and the role of antioxidants in prevention

Dairy products :Several dairy products and milk powder are reported to contain oxidized cholesterol after processing (Dionisi et al., 1998). The oxysterols found in these products are the same as those in processed eggs. However, fresh milk contains 0 or only trace amounts of cholesterol oxides, which means that processing (e.g high temperature) is the main source of oxysterols (Angulo et al., 1997). Other milk-derived products such as cheeses, yogurt, and evaporated milk, contain very low amounts of cholesterol oxides. The oxysterol content of milk powder is in the range 1.0-2.5 ug/g. Dehydrated cheese has 8-15 ug/g; skimmed milk powder, 0.01-0.1 ug/g; and whole milk powder, 0.2-0.8 ug/g (Paniangvait et al., 1995). The amount of oxysterols present in these products depends on the processing temperature and the length of the storage period (Nourooz-Zadeh & Appelqvist, 1988).
So as the thread title says, stick to skim milk powder and not whole milk powder.

schultz

@charlie thanks for the great idea.

I just bought some skim milk powder and experimented with
1 egg (separated the yolk and white)
1 cup of skim milk powder
half cup of low fat milk
1 dessert spoon of sugar
2 dessertspoons of gelatin
salt
mix all ingredients including the egg yolk and in another bowl, whisked the egg white to stiff peaks (makes fluffier pancakes) and served with summer fruit and maple syrup, it was OK. I have to say the pancakes were the consistency of a wet dish cloth.... tasted fine but because they do not have flour they don't hold as well in the cooking.
@raypeatclips you did well and they are being very rude about yours!
You have to be careful they don't burn because they take longer to cook right through.
Normally I'd put half to a cup of ricotta in my hotcakes to bump up the protein and will try that will the other half of the mix tomorrow.
You could add skim milk powder to omelettes, frittatas, baked custard, shakes....

I think if you want a better consistency you need to use less milk. A couple TBSP's of milk is all you need. You can even get away with no milk. To make mine fluffy I add cream of tartar and baking soda (baking powder essentially). Mine are very close to the texture of real pancakes and stay together very well (they are a bit cakier than flour pancakes). For me, vanilla is a must as well.

Alicia

I made this cookie recipe yesterday and they were the most amazing shortbread cookies! I came here to thank you and now I read about acrylamide. Sigh... there's always something. I hope Bob's Red Mill Non-Fat Dry Milk Powder is a good option cause I just bought a ton of it. lol Thank you so much for the recipe!

I love these things! I have two kids and I am grateful to find recipes like this.

I like to cook and was fooling around with the recipe. I added an extra yolk to the mix to see what would happen. The seemed to get a little bit fluffier, though it may have been my imagination.

I altered the recipe in an attempt to make sugar cookies. They turned out amazing, though they were a wee bit rich maybe? I did 1 cup milk powder, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 egg, 1/4 cup butter, vanilla, bit of baking soda (eyed it). Cooked for 10min or so on 350deg F. They were remarkably similar to flour cookies.

I never knew you could use milk powder like this. Amazing!

I want to try a cake (wouldn't that be hilarious? A milk cake...) and was pondering a way to somehow make a loaf of bread though that might be silly... it would involve yeast or baking soda for rising lol........... :eek:

Wagner83

I tried to make those pancakes once , they were delicious, the garbage couldn't have enough of them!

Second or third time I've tried this and it just doesn't work. I end up with a bunch of unworkable sludge in the pan.

L

lollipop

Second or third time I've tried this and it just doesn't work. I end up with a bunch of unworkable sludge in the pan.
Use this recipe: you need an egg. I have made three times now with the egg - rocks it!!

milk powder pancakes | The Nutrition Coach

@ecstatichamster The first time I made using Danny Roddy's recipe - like above but with less milk, I also got sludge. I even remember thinking it needs an egg. Sure enough Roddy posted this recipe on his FB. I tried it and wow...awesome pancakes like real. You cannot tell they have no grain!!!

Edit: I did not use sugar because I want the salty flavor. My husband puts maple syrup on his :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals