Skim Milk Caused A Surge Of Estrogen

Discussion in 'Milk' started by DaveFoster, May 19, 2019.

1. DaveFoster

DaveFoster Member

Writer
    Yesterday, March 18th of 2019, I worked outdoors and ran out of milk, so I ate about 20 grams of protein for the day. The next day, I ate some oatmeal without milk for breakfast and eventually bought another gallon, of which I drank a few cups at around 1:00 PM. About 20 minutes after drinking, I experienced this severe burning sensation behind my left nipple, where there lies a gynecomastia lump leftover from puberty. After about 15 minutes, the sensation decreased dramatically and went away completely within an hour.

I cannot ever recall experiencing symptoms of comparable severity after consuming food, and I can't remember a day in the past four years wherein I've eaten less than 50 grams of protein; I often eat closer to 150 grams. The only similar estrogenic symptoms appeared when I ate too many beans.

Dr. Peat has said that insufficient protein impairs liver function and retards the body's elimination of estrogen. If applicable to my case, the increased protein intake allowed the body to process estrogen over the previous two days. Similarly, those who use progesterone sometimes report a paradoxical increase in estrogenic symptoms from a lower dosage, whereas a higher dosage has the opposite effect.

2. RobertJM

RobertJM Member

As the metabolic rate increases there is a demand for sufficient animal protein that’s for sure. It’s the same with my body. Not having enough animal protein and my body punishes me with the cooling of extremeties, etc.

3. ddjd

ddjd Member

I wonder if calcium alone can be estrogenic

4. olive

olive Member

5. ShotTrue

ShotTrue Member

6. OP
    DaveFoster

DaveFoster Member

Writer
    Because the milk fat has the majority of the estradiol (E2), the most potent form of estrogen. E1 and E3 have more benign effects by comparison.

7. ilikecats

ilikecats Member

don't forget androgens are in there too... there was a ton of mania in the hair loss community relatively recently about avoiding milk because it contains DHT metabolites... Progesterone is in there of course too. Meat should have some estrogen in it too... varying depending on the usual suspects but it should always be there. I would never ditch skim milk its objectively a bad move (not that youre planning on ditching it). Did you end up setting something up with Ray btw?

8. TripleOG

TripleOG Member

Travis touched on this awhile ago.

The Travis Corner

TL;DR:

9. RPDiciple

RPDiciple Member

Sorry guys, this is just cluelessness

10. LuMonty

LuMonty Member

If I've consumed something that shouldn't be estrogenic but may inhibit it, I get the same as well. Had a larger serving of protein with lunch today and had the same. Typically if I maintain that amount of protein for a week I can tell better how much I need overall. In this case, I had been a bit low on protein the last few days so I'm fairly certain I needed the large amount I've had today.

For comparison, I only get that feeling when I take vitamin E if I haven't had enough protein. If I have, there's still a reduction in swelling etc but no sorts of pain.

11. postman

postman Member

Dairy is the worst gyno fuel on the planet, way worse than soy or xenoestrogens or whatever else people worry about. And the fattier it is, the worse it's gonna be.

12. jamies33

jamies33 Member

^This was what I was thinking as I read your first 2 paragraphs. Concentration camp survivors grew breasts when they began eating normally, as they severe malnutrition was being processed.

Really dont think the sudden burst of milk intake caused your sensitive nipples - its the 20g protein the day prior (IMO)

13. ShotTrue

ShotTrue Member

Yeeeeeah

14. ShotTrue

ShotTrue Member

I completely disagree .. coming from someone who drinks a lot of whole milk and zero gyno!

15. Inaut

Inaut Member

Doesn’t all of this come down to liver function and detoxification? If your liver is sluggish, it may be offensive but if it’s working efficiently.... shouldn’t have estrogenic effects in the body? Or am I viewing things far to simplistically?

16. OP
    DaveFoster

DaveFoster Member

Writer
    Just by itself, protein's thermogenic.
    He drank around a gallon every day, and frequently whole or 2%, for the past several decades, and he's mentally coherent and physically healthy at the age of 81. I haven't yet asked him, no. I really do want to give him a sizable gift to honor him and express gratitude for helping me so much over the past several years. I'm a student so not particularly financially secure, but I will see where I'm at by the end of this term.

I can't recall ever getting sensitive nipples after drinking lowfat or skim milk, but I believe I occasionally did while drinking a lot of whole milk, as in 1-2 gallons daily.
    I agree. I've been drinking about a gallon of 1% fat or skim for the past several months, all while taking thyroid hormone, and my gyno lump actually significantly decreased in size , which is odd, as it's been fairly steady even while taking raloxifene and, temporarily, letrozole.

This is what I figured. Caffeine can help the liver and also tends to spare protein, so coffee consumption may be able to compensate for a slight protein insufficiency. This might be part of the reason that we see benefits to both longevity and the healthspan of coffee-drinkers.
    This is an ad-hominem attack, but unlike Dr. Peat, Travis seems a bit short-tempered and critical of others. I'm not sure if it's because he's young or whatever, but he eats a mostly vegan diet. Anyway, I wouldn't bring this up if diet didn't directly influence one's mental state.

17. CLASH

CLASH Member

18. RisingSun

RisingSun Member

Take a good look at Aajonus Vonderplanitz and tell me how estrogenic he looks.

He was on 2 quarts of raw milk a day on average for most his life

19. CLASH

CLASH Member

@RisingSun
    Source of dairy and individual tolerance matters. Animals milked not during thier pregnancy have way less hormones. A2 animals have way less opiogenic effects. A raw, properly produced grass fed goat dairy will most likely be way different in a person who tolerates dairy well than an industrial cow dairy in someone who does not.

20. Cirion

Cirion Member

High fernstrom ratio. Will probably never drink milk again personally.