Skim Milk And De Novo Lipogenesis?

chrismeyers

So question for you all. For the past 63 days now I am on a 100% skim milk only diet. I dropped the orange juice mainly as a test. I feel better than I have ever felt. And Im not exaggerating. I am lean, I feel healthy and vibrant. My question is how is my body producing sufficient fat from my diet? Skim milk has at most 0.1 g of total fat per cup. I drink between 16-24 cups a day. De Novo lipogenesis from all the glucose carbs in the milk is rumored to be inefficient and yet it is serving my body perfectly. Maybe total fat requirements are really low and so it meets the needs? Anyway Ive come to the conclusion from the success of this that I dont need PUFA, fructose, or much sat fat. Is that fair?

Tenacity

I doubt you're producing any endogenous fat whatsoever. 24 cups is only about 2000 kcal, and only about 300g of carbs. I remember reading Haidut say that de novo lipogenesis starts at a carb intake of 500g+.

paymanz

On a diet as low fat as like that your body becomes very insulin sensitive, you can utilize glucose very well.

So probably your body relaysnon carbs as fuel.

And some of carbs gets converted to fat, and probably biotin is important for that.

I think you are awar of minerals that milk is not a good source of,like manganese ,copper ,iron!

In long term you can become short on them.

paymanz

I doubt you're producing any endogenous fat whatsoever. 24 cups is only about 2000 kcal, and only about 300g of carbs. I remember reading Haidut say that de novo lipogenesis starts at a carb intake of 500g+.
I doubt that,

Even with tiniest amount of sugar your body converted some of it to fatty acid!

That is how I see it , insulin is released right after sugar enters blood stream , insulin promotes lipogenesis , it promotes sugar uptake by adipose cells.

That lipogenesis might be small , but enough to provide fats that are necessary for healthy function of cells.

I think most people have like 100000 calories of fat in their body.

OP
C

chrismeyers

I doubt that,

Even with tiniest amount of sugar your body converted some of it to fatty acid!

That is how I see it , insulin is released right after sugar enters blood stream , insulin promotes lipogenesis , it promotes sugar uptake by adipose cells.

That lipogenesis might be small , but enough to provide fats that are necessary for healthy function of cells.

This is what I speculate as well. Yours was the line of thinking I was kind of thinking of. I think ultimately that our dietary fat requirements just aren't that high and we are perfectly able to operate on a glucose only basis if needed. Now skim milk is not totally fat free so that 24 cups works out to at least 2.4 grams of total fat and that along with whatever little amount is produced from the glucose excess is I think all my body personally needs.

keith

So question for you all. For the past 63 days now I am on a 100% skim milk only diet. I dropped the orange juice mainly as a test. I feel better than I have ever felt. And Im not exaggerating. I am lean, I feel healthy and vibrant. My question is how is my body producing sufficient fat from my diet? Skim milk has at most 0.1 g of total fat per cup. I drink between 16-24 cups a day. De Novo lipogenesis from all the glucose carbs in the milk is rumored to be inefficient and yet it is serving my body perfectly. Maybe total fat requirements are really low and so it meets the needs? Anyway Ive come to the conclusion from the success of this that I dont need PUFA, fructose, or much sat fat. Is that fair?

16 cups of skim milk has only 1,376 calories, and even 24 is only 2,064. Calorie restriction can increase stress hormones, which can sometimes make one feel good over the short term, but cause stress related damage over longer periods. I would watch for signs of that, and make sure you are getting enough calories. Interesting experiment, though. Good luck.

J

James IV

De novo lipogenisis is demand driven, not supply driven. You likely feel great because you are making digestion extremely easy on the body. However, I'm curious how you will feel when you resume consuming other food. I'd imagine there will be a transition period where you are uncomfortable.

T

tca300

@Such_Saturation based on average male weight ( 195 lbs ) and typical body fat percentage ( 25-30 %), its about double that. Thats crazy to think about. Having 1/5 of a million calories of fat under your skin.

@Such_Saturation based on average male weight ( 195 lbs ) and typical body fat percentage ( 25-30 %), its about double that. Thats crazy to think about. Having 1/5 of a million calories of fat under your skin.

And I think when people die of starvation they have not used 100% of that. Pretty interesting in a Ray Peat context.

dabdabdab

I know it's an old topic but can you please update your results on this diet. I'm pre-diabetic and I want to go on a fat free diet, skim milk only diet seems a very good start for me.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals