Skim Milk And Aggression?

jaywills

Does anybody else experience aggression/anger/irritability from skim milk?
I notice whenever I drink it I get very argumentative - especially if I heat it up in a pan and drink it warm.

I do not seem to notice the same with higher fat milks, anyone have any ideas here?

equipoise

I think skimmed milk is higher in oestrogen. How much do you drink at times? It can be serotonergic if not digested properly.

Weird, Have you tried taking it with Turmeric, or Banana, or Strawberry.
What's wrong with semi-skimmed or whole milk?

Do you get the same reactions if you add sugar (and maybe some salt)?

OP
J

jaywills

Hi All,

Thanks for all your comments.
Its weird; I've tried different brands. Not sure if its because I am heating it in a stainless steel pan and drinking it warm.

@equipoise - roughly 500 ml at a time, drunk over the course of 30 mins
@not_James_Bond - I've tried it with coffee (cafe con leche), and also cocoa powder.
@Peater Griffin - I always add 1-2 tbsp of sugar so cannot be that and also have plenty of salt throughout the day.

I'm also eating quite a bit.

Its really strange, but I get really worked up and angry and have tested this. I noticed it when I was having warm milk daily, so I stopped for a few weeks and switched to fattier milk.

I tried the skim milk again today and noticed the same symptoms as before so connected the dots.

I just want to understand the mechanism. Preferably I'd rather drink skim milk to get my protein without all the added fat and calories,

Thanks!
J

yashi

Interesting, after drinking whole or 1.5% for a while I drank UHT skim (only one available to me) for a few weeks recently and I noticed I got more frustrated lately when losing chess games than I was for months before. I did not connect it to the milk though.

lampofred

It does increase estrogen and serotonin relative to higher fat milk, maybe because there is not enough salt and fat-soluble vitamins as in whole milk to balance the high calcium content. That's why skim and 1% are associated with prostate cancer and heart disease whereas whole milk is not.

But Dr. Peat recommends 1% milk, not sure if its just because of possibility of weight-gain with too much fat intake or there is another reason.

Last edited:

Luann

I believe that milk is one of the most available protein sources there is and I wonder if the high protein may need to be balanced with higher carb or other nutrients that you would get from the milk alone : ) Good luck

Based Kantian

I think skimmed milk is higher in oestrogen. How much do you drink at times? It can be serotonergic if not digested properly.
This is false. The (already miniscule amount of) estrogen in milk is mostly contained in the fat portion. Milk contains significant amounts of progesterone, thyroid, and androgens...

lampofred

This is false. The (already miniscule amount of) estrogen in milk is mostly contained in the fat portion. Milk contains significant amounts of progesterone, thyroid, and androgens...

Calcium itself is estrogenic in the way it excites cells if it's not handled properly. The fat-soluble vitamins in milk fat (like vitamin K) and maybe other things help to use calcium properly. So skim milk is "estrogenic" compared to whole milk in terms of how it affects the body even though it contains less absolute amount of hormones.

But admittedly Dr. Peat still does recommend 1%. Even though it's associated with greater heart disease and prostate cancer risk than whole milk. Maybe he feels that there is accumulated pollution (such as dioxins) in the fat.

Lastly this is just my own theory but milk powder might be less "estrogenic" than skim milk even though they both have 0 fat because the lack of water is anti-excitatory. But I don't know if Dr. Peat recommends it.

Safest bet is to probably go with 1%, since that's what Dr. Peat recommends.

M

metabolizm

I notice whenever I drink it I get very argumentative - especially if I heat it up in a pan and drink it warm.

I do not seem to notice the same with higher fat milks, anyone have any ideas here?

Maybe you're just angry because it doesn't taste as good as whole milk.

Calcium itself is estrogenic in the way it excites cells if it's not handled properly. The fat-soluble vitamins in milk fat (like vitamin K) and maybe other things help to use calcium properly. So skim milk is "estrogenic" compared to whole milk in terms of how it affects the body even though it contains less absolute amount of hormones.

Do you think skim milk + cream would be as good as whole milk in these regards? (I buy chocolate milk that strangely lists skim milk and cream as ingredients.)

Luann

fascinating! maybe that extra bump of nutrition in whole milk would help a certain college senior I know who is feeling very stressed with her midterms :P :P

Jessie

I have not noticed this before no, but here recently I've been getting most of my dairy in the form of greek yogurt (nonfat) and cottage cheese (1%). If the milk bothers you, try one of these other options like cottage cheeses, yogurts, or parmesan reggiano.

T

TheBeard

Do you have access to raw full fat milk where you live?

Pasteurized milk is known to cause the psychological disorders you mention due to being water, sugar and estrogens.

Khaled MK

Progesterone is what youre gonna find in the fat portion, not the estrogens. And the amount of androgens in milk is similar to estrogens. Totally insignificant. Cortisone and aldosterone are highest in milk, followed closely by progesterone. But the amounts are so laughably small that it shouldnt matter anyways. 1.2mcg progesterone per 100mL of full fat milk. Thats nothing.

Based Kantian