Sitting Down Vs Standing/Laying Flat

Ron J

Has anyone done extensive research in regards to the hormonal response from sitting down? Any confirmed alteration of the following: CO2, cortisol, adrenaline, estrogen, T3/T4 etc. Does it significantly differ if standing up/laying flat on a hard surface?

javin

This isn't exactly a full answer to your question, but there are a few good points in this video:

DaveFoster

I'd surmise that most of these negative effects are due to the lack of dopamine and increased serotonin that comes with prolonged sitting and repetitive tasks.

OP
R

Ron J

This isn't exactly a full answer to your question, but there are a few good points in this video:

Thanks.
DaveFoster: Interesting. Does laying on a flat surface increase serotonin/decrease dopamine as well?

dfspcc20

If you're not wearing loose-fitting pants, sitting can cause more mechanical compression around your waist, which could cause or worsen intestinal irritation, leading to more serotonin.

Several years ago, I remember seeing a Japanese study, which evaluated (via hydrogen breath test) how well lactose was being digested by having the participants either stand, sit or lay down afterwards. The "laying down" group showed the lowest incidence of malabsorption, IIRC.

I love sitting.

I love standing and moving around, and laying down flat when tired or bored. Sitting has always seemed like a limbo state for me; neither fully "engaged", nor fully resting. But that's just me.

OP
R

Ron J

If you're not wearing loose-fitting pants, sitting can cause more mechanical compression around your waist, which could cause or worsen intestinal irritation, leading to more serotonin.

Several years ago, I remember seeing a Japanese study, which evaluated (via hydrogen breath test) how well lactose was being digested by having the participants either stand, sit or lay down afterwards. The "laying down" group showed the lowest incidence of malabsorption, IIRC.

I love standing and moving around, and laying down flat when tired or bored. Sitting has always seemed like a limbo state for me; neither fully "engaged", nor fully resting. But that's just me.
Great tip. I never really like sitting down when I have jeans/belt on.

TurtleNeck

Video changed my life. I now use a standing desk and my energy, well being and body temp and metabolism are through the roof. (not stress hormones confirmed)

Actually did a workout today! Usually whenI am sitting all day I am cold and lazy

javin

Video changed my life. I now use a standing desk and my energy, well being and body temp and metabolism are through the roof. (not stress hormones confirmed)

Actually did a workout today! Usually whenI am sitting all day I am cold and lazy

Rock on brotha!

I also hopped on the standing desk train a few months ago and it is indeed life changing.

And if you like that, then I definitely recommend earthing/grounding. Spend time walking/laying on the earth barefoot and absorb some of those free electrons! Amazing health/healing benefits.

PeatThemAll

Somewhat similar. Call it the Induction Principle. The less I do (e.g. sitting), the less I feel like doing. Sitting too long = slow, silent death.

Constatine

I buy this. I've gone through periods of my life where I never sat and I had so much energy back then. I'm still pretty young so it's not due to age either. Great video btw.

lvysaur

Very interesting, but it is probably solely due to the effect of gravity. Gravity pulling on your partially digested food means it leaves the small intestine more quickly, and the lactose gets digested less.

I find that sitting with a very bad posture is the most comfortable state for certain tasks, particularly playing video games. If I sit up straight, I perform a lot worse, and I think it's because keeping good posture requires some level of effort, which is energy taken away from actually playing the game.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals