Since Sugar Is Good For You And So Is Caffeine. Does That Make Red Bull Healthy?

NathanK

Dont forget taurine and B vitamins.

I dont drink it and not sure what else is in there, but i think it is

Kasper

It contains vitamin b12 and niacin which are supposedly not good I heard.

sladerunner69

It would be a beneficial drink if it were not for the... duh duh dummmm...... citric acid. That stuff ruins so many cool drinks and snacks for me.

I often tell myself "well these gummy snacks/sodas/etc are totally fine, wella t least they would be save the citric acid" and then I end up getting a headache and feeling down and tired and its pretty remarkable what a profound affect such smalla dditives will have on your well being when it comes to processed foods.

DrJ

I think it's one of the most Peat-y commercial products you can get and drink them quite often! I never used to drink them, but after much Peat reading, I felt like maybe the creators were on to the same thing. Check out the ingredients in typical most->least order...

Carbonated water - that's CO2!
Sucrose - Glucose + Fructose is good in Peat's book
Glucose - sugar still good, but maybe one could argue about balance
Citric acid - I think the main worry here is impurities from manufacturing process :(
Taurine - Pretty awesome, especially if your read Haidut's stuff
Sodium bicarbonate - salt and CO2 basically, pretty Peat-y
Magnesium bicarbonate - definitely you want magnesium, also some more CO2 when it disassociates
Caffeine - yep!
Niacinamide - definitely good!
Calcium pantothenate - Vit B5, so good
Pyroxidine HCl - Vit B6, yep!
Vitamin B12 - alright!
Natural and artificial flavors - yuck
Colors - yuck

So for a commercial product, it's probably better than most, but the flavors, colors, and perhaps manufacturing impurities are the big worries.

Actually, when I need to get really focused and a boost of energy, I take a red bull and aspirin. The effect is pretty amazing. I think of it as a legal way to get lifted. I've also cured friends' hangovers in less than 30min by offering them this combination.

Edit: I think I would mention that you probably don't want to drink with food since all that bicarb will lower your stomach acidity temporarily and possibly lead to incomplete digestion.

Last edited:

DrJ

Oops. Never saw that one. Thanks! I think I'll still take my red bull a few days a week with lots of calcium :)

equusvult

It works for me. Not an everyday thing, but sometimes when I am really stressed it is literally the only thing that calms me down...Y.M.MV...

From their site:

2r2t99s.jpg

I disagree with what they say about your body processing synthetic caffeine the same. All of the deaths from caffeine overdose are from synthetic caffeine. Of course it was because the people who died hit the LD50 of caffeine for their own bodies but still, it's synthetic.

And it's not that sugar is "good for you," it's that you have no choice but sugar to be good for you because without it you die. Even if you believe in low-carbism, and you eat nothing but meat, your body will still convert some of those amino acids into sugar and even break down your own muscle tissue to make sugar.

"Since glucose is the main fuel for the brain, and since the human brain is the factor that elevates man above other animals, mother nature took special precautions against a lack of glucose in the bloodstream at all times.” -Broda Barnes & Charlotte Barnes

But you can't just use cane sugar as your only sugar source because overtime you'll lack b vitamins, and minerals, and vitamin C, so fruits and cooked tubers provide sugar with much needed nutrition.

Last edited:

tara

Honest question.
I suspect trying to divide all foods in to 'good for you' and 'bad for you' in a general way can be misleading. No food/drink is universally good for everyone in all situations. I imagine it might be useful in some quantity if it's the best thing available to meet your particular current needs. (Some 'foods' might be more likely to be generally unhelpful for most people, though. )
It's not a complete food, so it depends what else you are eating too.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals