Simply Eating Oxtails - Enough Glycine?

sladerunner69

I've tried getting most of my glycine from bone broth and oxtail. It's fairly intensive to make bone broth at home, as you have to keep a large pot on the stove for hours while keeping half an eye on it. And I found it prohibitively expensive to buy quality broth in large quantities on a smaller budget. Oxtail is delicious, but does not provide enough gelatinous protein on it's own, at least not for my target needs. So I get most of my glycine from gelatin powder that I mix into coffee, and I get some more from concentrate glycine powder that I mix into my milk. I may only take 3g glycine powder and 1-2 scoops of gelatin per day, and less if I happen to eat oxtail or bone broth that day. Too much glycine tend to give me an overly sedated and careless feeling, as well as a minor headache/sensation making it difficult to concentrate.

yerrag

I got to the public market early for a change, and what a difference it has made! Aside from the usual oxtail, ox trotters, and ox tripe, I saw ox small intestine and ox face mask. So, I'm adding them to the mix for a Filipino dish called kare-kare. The face mask was already boiled so as to soften it, and it is needs more stewing to soften it. Ox skin is pretty tough, but the ox face mask isn't as tough as other skin which goes to make shoes and belts.

If you ask around, or just be up early to make the early rounds, even in the wee hours, you might find these as well in your public market. When I lived in Cincinnati, I would go to the public market often. Public markets are usually in the old district, downtown, and suburbanites would have to make the extra effort to get to it.

Fractality

Drink the stock too.

Well if you were putting them in a pot of water then removing and eating them, were you discarding the water? All the amino acids become free amino acids and are transferred to the water. Yes, you could just roast them in the oven. Or like I said there are other cuts that are high in glycine, like chicken with the skin. Or you could eat pork rinds with your meat if you are concerned about amino acid ratios.

All of the protein is left in the water? Damn, when I eat beef tendon I don't drink all of the liquid. It can't be all of the protein, right? Otherwise wouldn't there be no physical tendon to chew on?

TripleOG

Oxtail is a great meal, but there's more economical ways to ramp up gelatin/glycine intake.

Cow foot trumps most animal parts for the purpose of gelatinous broth. It's also cheap and widely available. I get almost 2 gallons of thick-ish broth from 6-7lbs. Labor is the only turn off, hence why I include powdered gelatin/glycine to stretch it.

boris

Did Peat ever mention foot? I get amazing thick gelatin from cooking lambfoot and it's cheaper than oxtail. I need a lot of oxtail and bones to get a thick gelatin with only 3 hours cooking time (if I remember correctly Ray said not to cook it longer) and it hurts to throw all that meat away after cooking.

L

Lord Cola

What can I do to minimize PUFA in oxtail soup? I know oxtail is supposed to have a low ratio of PUFA to SFA. I skim the fat off the top before heating it. But even then there's so much fat that comes out.

ExCarniv

According to Chronometer

300g of Oxtail contains 4.8g of Glycine.

300g of 90% Ground beef have 5.4g.

Aymen

What can I do to minimize PUFA in oxtail soup? I know oxtail is supposed to have a low ratio of PUFA to SFA. I skim the fat off the top before heating it. But even then there's so much fat that comes out.
according to cronometer 1 whole entire tail has 1.3g of PUFAs so if you skim the fat off the top after cooling it it will reduce this amount of PUFAs but it still high in SFAs.

johnwester130

Browning a shank is much easier too before it goes into a slow cooker.

Oxtails are awkward to brown off.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals