Simple Syrup And Salt Are Incredible Additions To The Diet

• Thread starter Deleted member 5487
  • Start date

Runenight201

EF03B11B-1B38-436D-865C-F98DB8130185.jpeg

Guys...

MAPLE SYRUP.

Tastier than simple syrup, and has nutrients naturally found in the syrup. Cmon look at that calcium and zinc content in a cup of it.

Add to coffee, milk, or just dissolve in water and drink when feeling low energy.

Last edited:

Elize

Thanks so much for the Maple Syrup information. How much salt does one add?

Elize

Runenight201

Thanks so much for the Maple Syrup information. How much salt does one add?

Elize

I haven't tried mixing with salt, but I guess I should just for completeness. I think going by your own body's taste buds would be the most rationale approach. Add as much or as little one would need to find appealing and tasty.

Tenacity

Maple syrup is pricey though.

I've been adding 9tsps of white sugar to a quart of milk with some coffee, and it does make me feel a lot better.

noordinary

Can someone explain to me how adding sugar in copious amounts into the diet doesn't destroy the teeth?

What-your-dentist-wont-tell-you-infographic.jpg

I'm so confused from what I've read back in the day from Dr. Price and what I've learned from Ray Peat.

It seemed pretty reasonable of a hypothesis to me: Primitive communities who didn't consume refined sugar, had better oral health. Once their diet became "modernized" with the introduction of things like table sugar, their teeth started to degrade.

I'm just afraid if I start adding simple sugar to everything, I might be doing more damage to my teeth instead of helping my mouth.

The research of Rami Nagiel seems to point to phytic acid found in grains that are the anti-nutrients. I'm not sure if sugar contains any phytic acid, though.

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/vegetarianism-and-plant-foods/living-with-phytic-acid/

Is there any more information on this subject?
@jzeno @tankasnowgod As much as Dr. Price's research is of high value, but with what I know now from Dr. Peat's research I think Dr. Price mixed cause and affect. I think the cause was damaged metabolism, stress etc. (maybe during pregnancy with the younger son or early childhood) that resulted in bad oral health and cravings for starch and sugar. Have you ever been with the diabetic person? They crave cookies, they crave starch and sugar. I myself crave starch and sugar when I'm stressed.
Yes, maybe diet that is high in starch may contribute over time to bad oral health, but I bet the cause was that the younger brother undergone greatly more stress, and that resulted in cravings for starch/sugar as well as bad oral health and overall health.

jzeno

What if it's not the sugar, but it's the refined flour combined with consuming less Vitamin K, A, E and D? Flour and sugar were often introduced simultaneously so it's hard to separate the effect of one from the other. Price seems to take the easiest way out which is to say It's all bad; go back to what you were eating before and this shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't been able to come across any studies since Price that examine this in detail to any reasonably certain conclusions.

I've been thinking about a combination of ways to raise CO2 recently. Using all these together-

Extra sugar/simple syrup
High dose thiamine
Regular Bag Breathing (1-2 minutes, 2-4 times a day)
Using surgical masks when possible

Last two a little harder-
Breathing or bathing in direct CO2 (more expensive, and breathing must be done with extra caution)
Diamox

Any other ideas?

Carbonic anhydrase inhibitor - Wikipedia

I have seen acetazolamide discussed on RPF

What if it's not the sugar, but it's the refined flour combined with consuming less Vitamin K, A, E and D? Flour and sugar were often introduced simultaneously so it's hard to separate the effect of one from the other. Price seems to take the easiest way out which is to say It's all bad; go back to what you were eating before and this shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't been able to come across any studies since Price that examine this in detail to any reasonably certain conclusions.

Big picture thinking declined sharply in the 20th century. There are fewer polymaths, like Peat. Every scientist is in their own silo, but they all want to believe that what they're working on is the solution to many things, if not everything. In reality, it is a confluence of several trends or events that causes every disease or sickness. Even something as mundane as a cold requires multiple factors to be in the right range.

tara

I'm not sure if sugar contains any phytic acid, though.
I don't think pure refined sucrose, or simple syrup made from that and clean water, contains phytic acid or anything much else.

My current guess would be that if you are mineral deficient, adding a lot of refined simple syrup or other refined sugars could risk worsening the deficiency, unless you can also find a way to add a lot of really nutrient dense foods as well. If you have strong reserves of minerals, you might get away with it for a while, but it could still come at a cost eventually. Smaller amounts might be fine if you are replete and getting plenty of minerals etc from other sources.

I've been thinking about a combination of ways to raise CO2 recently. Using all these together-
Any other ideas?

Any other ideas?
Other possibilities, much of which you may already be onto. Check whether you have any of the common chronic hyperventilation habits, and retrain to eliminate them, so that breathing at rest is relaxed, nasal, diaphragmatic, no more than it needs to be. Eg check for chest breathing, mouth breathing including at night-time, increased breathing when feeling stressed. Eg practice suitable kinds of pranayama, or Patrick McKeown methods, or Buteyko method, exercising with mouth shut, or other breath calming/reducing methods.
Consider rest of diet and lifestyle to support healthy metabolism too. I think excessive acidity in the body may be compensated with hyperventilation, so getting adequate alkaline minerals in the diet may be important too. I'm not sure whether measuring UpH is a reliable guide on this, but it might be a relevant indicator.

tara

Syrup 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water -. How much salt does one add?
Simple syrup isn't made with salt. You can add what you need to what ever you are using it for afterwards, though. I don't know a better way to judge the amount than going by taste.

I ended up trying the the sugar syrup, and I think I got good results from it. Gonna keep using it for a few days to see what happens. Also, I have been experimenting with vitamin K2 in the MK-7 form. Until the beggining of last year, I was using this form and feeling well when using it. Then I switched to the MK-4 form, but the effect wasn't the same. The MK-7 seems to increase my dopamine more than the MK-4( better mood, flatter belly, deeper sleep, better temperature, which may mean more CO2 production), but I'm still using a few miligrams of it everyday, since it does improve my teeth( it makes them less sensitive).

Carbonic anhydrase inhibitor - Wikipedia

I have seen acetazolamide discussed on RPF
He mentioned Diamox, which is the commercial name for acetazolamide.

jzeno

@tara

Check out this:

>When animals were fed an otherwise balanced diet lacking vitamin D, with the addition of either 68% sucrose or 68% starch, the bones of those on the starch diet failed to develop normally, as would be expected with a vitamin D deficiency, and their serum calcium was low. However, the bones of those on the diet with sucrose developed properly, and didn't show evidence of being calcium deficient, though they weren't quite as heavy as those that also received an adequate amount of vitamin D (Artus, 1975). This study suggests that the famous dietetic emphasis on the "complex carbohydrates," i.e., starches, has made an important contribution to the prevalence of osteoporosis, as well as obesity and other degeneration conditions.

Glucose and sucrose for diabetes.

See it might just be the starch after all... It might not be the sugar at all. It might be just the starch in the diet is causing all the problems but because sugar is also in the diet it gets thrown under the bus as well. This is all very interesting.

So simple sugars might be the good guys, but complex carbs are actually the baddies. Very interesting. No winder Peat does not recommend potatoes unless your only other option is rice and beans. In that situation, potatoes are better, but if you have lots of options potatoes are not ideal.

@tara

Check out this:

>When animals were fed an otherwise balanced diet lacking vitamin D, with the addition of either 68% sucrose or 68% starch, the bones of those on the starch diet failed to develop normally, as would be expected with a vitamin D deficiency, and their serum calcium was low. However, the bones of those on the diet with sucrose developed properly, and didn't show evidence of being calcium deficient, though they weren't quite as heavy as those that also received an adequate amount of vitamin D (Artus, 1975). This study suggests that the famous dietetic emphasis on the "complex carbohydrates," i.e., starches, has made an important contribution to the prevalence of osteoporosis, as well as obesity and other degeneration conditions.

See it might just be the starch after all... It might not be the sugar at all. It might be just the starch in the diet is causing all the problems but because sugar is also in the diet it gets thrown under the bus as well. This is all very interesting.

So simple sugars might be the good guys, but complex carbs are actually the baddies. Very interesting. No winder Peat does not recommend potatoes unless your only other option is rice and beans. In that situation, potatoes are better, but if you have lots of options potatoes are not ideal.
Yeah, Ray Peat definitely prefers disaccharides and monosaccharides to starch, recommending sucrose and lactose. I recall that in a KMUD interview in 2016 I think it was, Andrew Murray used that wording as well( sugars are the good guys).
There was also another instance where Ray talked about the benefits of sucrose. It was a study where the carbohydrate of some people was replaced with soda, and even though the researchers sneakly made it so the soda group was receiving less magnesium than the other group, they still manage to retain the magnesium more effectively.
Also, it seems that fructose requires less nutrientes to be metabolized( or it retains them more easily). For example, 100 grams of apple juice has about 10 grams of carbs and 100 mg of potassium, but 45 grams of yams, which have 10 grams of carbs, haveabout 350 mg of potassium. Apples have more fructose than glucose and yams have more glucose than fructose.
I think that the refined sugar was making them more depleted, since it has no nutrients, but the starch was having a much bigger effect regarding this depletion. In tubers, the minerals and vitamins are so abundant that they probably make up for the lower concentration of fructose, but things like cornstarch and refined wheat and refined rice don't have enough nutrients on their own to prevent diseases caused by lack of fructose.

tara

@tara

Check out this:

Yes, I've read that article a couple of times before. It's interesting. Could be there are some benefits for mineral retention and/or use with the fructose part, or with avoiding the starch, or something. I'm not arguing that this is wrong. But it might not be the only relevant factor guiding the choice, given how complex we are.

My personal tendency to limit refined sugar ATM is based on my personal response to it, and taste, as well as my assessment that it is difficult for me to get all the minerals I personally need if I eat too much 'empty' sugar (or starch) calories. I also suspect there are many others who are probably also short on some minerals or mineral balance. (I also seem to have personal difficulty with too much sugar in other forms that contain minerals too. Not sure of the cause, but respecting it at this stage.)

D

danishispsychic

Are we all on a simple syrup bandwagon? I resisted sugar for so long and decided last week to cut out starches, up the sat fats and go crazy on sugar and after so many tries, I am really LOVING it... it is a little embarrassing that I am so HAPPY. geez. For me, Ray Peat and his work always comes through, but lots of times I try out things at the wrong time for my body maybe? Additionally, my idea of strong coffee became a whole different world... all the simple syrup and cream needs strong strong coffee for me, so now I am cold brewing this stuff that looks like mud. I am happy. I am digesting fats way better.... better liver health?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals