Simple Syrup And Salt Are Incredible Additions To The Diet

• Thread starter Deleted member 5487
  • Start date

tankasnowgod

Well, dang ya'll. I've been adding simple syrup to juices and sodas the past few days, and there is certainly a noticeable difference. Seem to have better heat production, even when it's cold outside, and the "uncoupling" sort of feeling after having coffee in the morning. I slept a little better last night than then I have on average the past few weeks. Very interesting, and very cheap. I guess I'm on board to see what the effects of this are for a bit longer term trial. It could make a lot of sense that excess simple syrup can be a heavy part of the diet for a time (say, 1-2 months), and then as a sporadic supplement after some stressful or vigorous event.

shepherdgirl

so is there a difference between the sugar in sugar syrup, and the sugar that is dissolved in cold or hot liquid? Does the dissolved sugar become "free"?

jzeno

Can someone explain to me how adding sugar in copious amounts into the diet doesn't destroy the teeth?

What-your-dentist-wont-tell-you-infographic.jpg

I'm so confused from what I've read back in the day from Dr. Price and what I've learned from Ray Peat.

It seemed pretty reasonable of a hypothesis to me: Primitive communities who didn't consume refined sugar, had better oral health. Once their diet became "modernized" with the introduction of things like table sugar, their teeth started to degrade.

I'm just afraid if I start adding simple sugar to everything, I might be doing more damage to my teeth instead of helping my mouth.

The research of Rami Nagiel seems to point to phytic acid found in grains that are the anti-nutrients. I'm not sure if sugar contains any phytic acid, though.

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/vegetarianism-and-plant-foods/living-with-phytic-acid/

Is there any more information on this subject?

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

Can someone explain to me how adding sugar in copious amounts into the diet doesn't destroy the teeth?

What-your-dentist-wont-tell-you-infographic.jpg

I'm so confused from what I've read back in the day from Dr. Price and what I've learned from Ray Peat.

It seemed pretty reasonable of a hypothesis to me: Primitive communities who didn't consume refined sugar, had better oral health. Once their diet became "modernized" with the introduction of things like table sugar, their teeth started to degrade.

I'm just afraid if I start adding simple sugar to everything, I might be doing more damage to my teeth instead of helping my mouth.

Is there any more information on this subject?

The key difference is "adding" it to the diet vs. "replacing" nutrient dense foods with it, in my case.

Weston Price suggested that the problem was either A) nutrient deficient refined foods were displacing nutrient rich traditional foods, B) there was some inherently toxic element to refined foods or C) some combo of the two. There is also a fourth possibility, the unrecognized flaw of the Burr experiments- that these foods were stimulating metabolism, and running into nutrient deficiencies that wouldn't otherwise exist.

Unlike the "excessive decay" brother, I can assure you I am taking high amount of D, E, and K2, as well as other key vitamins and minerals.

Also, with the changes in manufacturing processes, refined sugar today is likely more pure than it was a century ago. Sugar used to carry a significant amount of iron with it, part of the reason it lead to black teeth. Oddly, refined wheat contains MORE iron today, due to the mandatory addition of iron filings.

jzeno

@tankasnowgod

>The key difference is "adding" it to the diet vs. "replacing" nutrient dense foods with it, in my case.

I see. Not getting minerals and nutrients from other foods and just relying on sugar for primary source of calories to the exclusion of others will inevitably produce poor effects on dental health. That seems reasonable to me.

So sugar is like a very big supplement--like aspirin almost.

tankasnowgod

so is there a difference between the sugar in sugar syrup, and the sugar that is dissolved in cold or hot liquid? Does the dissolved sugar become "free"?

There is some difference. After heating and mixing, the simple syrup stays in solution, even when refrigerated. I'm sure I heated mine to a higher temp than most coffee. When I add sugar to my coffee, most dissolves, but I still see some at the bottom of my cup that never did. I don't know if makes much difference when consumed or not.

jzeno

@tankasnowgod

Suggestions on serving size? Let's say I'm going to add it to juices like OJ in 8 oz increments. Do you add it by taste?

Most simple syrup recipes call for 1:1 sugar to water (1 cup: 1 cup, for example). Is that about what you used?

Thanks

tankasnowgod

@tankasnowgod

Suggestions on serving size? Let's say I'm going to add it to juices like OJ in 8 oz increments. Do you add it by taste?

Most simple syrup recipes call for 1:1 sugar to water (1 cup: 1 cup, for example). Is that about what you used?

Thanks

That's the ratio I used to make it, yes. No suggestions on serving size yet, I've just started experimenting with this a few days ago. I did use about 16 ozs of that syrup over the first two days.

One thing I am going to try out...... using a lot of extra fructose along with high dose thiamine. Fructose creates CO2, and Thiamine helps retain it.

TeaRex14

Yeah maybe, I certainly wouldn't attempt it because I don't like heavily restricted diets. If someone was wanting to use a template to eat the fewest amount of foods possible, something close to that would probably be best. @tara

cyclops

Made a simple syrup mixture today with salt added and been adding it to juice. Feelin pretty good. Think I'll use this instead of coca-cola now on. Saves me some smoney.

shepherdgirl

There is some difference. After heating and mixing, the simple syrup stays in solution, even when refrigerated. I'm sure I heated mine to a higher temp than most coffee. When I add sugar to my coffee, most dissolves, but I still see some at the bottom of my cup that never did. I don't know if makes much difference when consumed or not.

Well I may be wrong, but I don't think that, once dissolved, sugar will precipitate out, at least at household temperatures, including in the fridge. It may not all dissolve in the first place, but that is a different issue. Do you agree? Or have you actually seen sugar precipitate out of liquids kept in the fridge?
I suppose you can achieve a higher dissolved sugar concentration with the syrup.

shepherdgirl

In fact I suspect that the sugar syrup would be more likely to precipitate in the fridge (i.e. rock candy - if it is supersaturated), but i don't think dissolved sugar added to coffee or milk would precipitate when cooled in the fridge.
I am just wondering why the sugar syrup would work better than normal sugar - maybe it's just that you can achieve a higher sugar concentration in your drink by using the syrup. But maybe there is some other biochemical reason...any ideas?

OP
D

Deleted member 5487

Well, dang ya'll. I've been adding simple syrup to juices and sodas the past few days, and there is certainly a noticeable difference. Seem to have better heat production, even when it's cold outside, and the "uncoupling" sort of feeling after having coffee in the morning. I slept a little better last night than then I have on average the past few weeks. Very interesting, and very cheap. I guess I'm on board to see what the effects of this are for a bit longer term trial. It could make a lot of sense that excess simple syrup can be a heavy part of the diet for a time (say, 1-2 months), and then as a sporadic supplement after some stressful or vigorous event.

Great to hear man.

Simple Sugar should be viewed as the simplest, easiest( easier than sucrose) energy source for cells. It does make me feel alot better

OP
D

Deleted member 5487

In fact I suspect that the sugar syrup would be more likely to precipitate in the fridge (i.e. rock candy - if it is supersaturated), but i don't think dissolved sugar added to coffee or milk would precipitate when cooled in the fridge.
I am just wondering why the sugar syrup would work better than normal sugar - maybe it's just that you can achieve a higher sugar concentration in your drink by using the syrup. But maybe there is some other biochemical reason...any ideas?

It's the simplest monosacharides. The heat breaks the sucrose bond.

Energy hierarchy

Simple Syrup
Sucrose/lactose
Polysacharrides( starch)

Cirion

I have been adding syrup to everything myself the past few weeks and it is definitely an easy way to add calories (sugar) to things. My milk (often a gallon a day), my coffee... it's especially necessary for me because my current calorie intake/needs are very high and going somewhat low fat is not conducive to high calories without extra sugar.

Optimus

I've been using a lot of refined white sugar for almost 2 years now without any side-effects. I always use at least 400 grams of it per day. I like combining melon juice, apple juice, gelatin, salt and sugar and drinking it hot. That probably breaks the sucrose into free sugars. To complement the refined sugar, I do use a lot of supplements, especially potassium and thiamine. Calories are extremely important, and calories from carbs are particularly good. As long as I make sure to ingest adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals from food and also from supplememts, this amount of sugar doesn't feel excessive at all. I noticed better skin when I started my high sugar regimen. It's probably because of the CO2, which, as Ray said, makes the skin healthy and pink.

Are you sure about 400 grams of sugar??
You do realise that's almost 1600 calorie from sugars alone.
What's your typical diet like?

shepherdgirl

It's the simplest monosacharides. The heat breaks the sucrose bond.

Energy hierarchy

Simple Syrup
Sucrose/lactose
Polysacharrides( starch)

Thanks for this. I guess maybe the body can put the energy it would have used for breaking down sucrose, into increasing body temperature?
Anyway, I'm probably going to try it!

tankasnowgod

I've been using a lot of refined white sugar for almost 2 years now without any side-effects. I always use at least 400 grams of it per day. I like combining melon juice, apple juice, gelatin, salt and sugar and drinking it hot. That probably breaks the sucrose into free sugars. To complement the refined sugar, I do use a lot of supplements, especially potassium and thiamine. Calories are extremely important, and calories from carbs are particularly good. As long as I make sure to ingest adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals from food and also from supplememts, this amount of sugar doesn't feel excessive at all. I noticed better skin when I started my high sugar regimen. It's probably because of the CO2, which, as Ray said, makes the skin healthy and pink.

I've been thinking about a combination of ways to raise CO2 recently. Using all these together-

Extra sugar/simple syrup
High dose thiamine
Regular Bag Breathing (1-2 minutes, 2-4 times a day)
Using surgical masks when possible

Last two a little harder-
Breathing or bathing in direct CO2 (more expensive, and breathing must be done with extra caution)
Diamox

Any other ideas?

Are you sure about 400 grams of sugar??
You do realise that's almost 1600 calorie from sugars alone.
What's your typical diet like?
Yeah, that a lot of calories, but the thing is I don't eat very much fat( I'm always between 30 and 50 grams of fat per day, which is just 360 calories on average). I need at least 3000 calories per day to maintain good sleep, muscle mass, mood, etc. So at 400 grams, white sugar is just half of my caloric intake. My diet currently is melons, apples, red meat, some potatoes, some rice, lots of coke( usually 2 liters per day), a little bit of steamed parsley( for the vitamin K), and gelatin. I put white sugar in gelatin and in juice and do that a few times a day. These foods, altogether, give me, approximately, 600 grams of carbs, 150 grams of protein and 40 grams of fat.
I've been thinking about a combination of ways to raise CO2 recently. Using all these together-

Extra sugar/simple syrup
High dose thiamine
Regular Bag Breathing (1-2 minutes, 2-4 times a day)
Using surgical masks when possible

Last two a little harder-
Breathing or bathing in direct CO2 (more expensive, and breathing must be done with extra caution)
Diamox

Any other ideas?
Caffeine, pomegranate and famotidine are also inhibitors of the carbonic anhydrase enzyme. Peat said in a KMUD interview that carbonated beverages could be beneficial in terms of raising CO2, but people commonly burp out most of the CO2, so maybe drinking carbonated water or coke and not burping it out could work.

Elize

Syrup 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water -. How much salt does one add?

Thanks