Simple saline solution stops SARS-CoV-2...and maybe all viruses?

Peater Piper

I doubt increasing salt intake will do much to change the salt level of the mucosa in the upper respiratory tract, but I've become a big believer in nasal irrigation over the past couple of years (nasal sprays on the other hand never benefited me at all). Personally, hypertonic saline solutions kill me and cause inflammation. I use a hypotonic saline solution with added xylitol to make it hyperosmotic, and the salt I use includes potassium and calcium chloride to increase the chloride levels without burning. A recent trial showed the potential to reduce risk of hospitalization if patients began irrigating immediately after a positive PCR test. Povidone iodine solutions showed slightly more benefit, but saline solutions were nearly as effective.

InChristAlone

I've used a drop of methylene blue in the irrigator, wouldn't use povidone as it's a vinyl compound.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I doubt increasing salt intake will do much to change the salt level of the mucosa in the upper respiratory tract, but I've become a big believer in nasal irrigation over the past couple of years (nasal sprays on the other hand never benefited me at all). Personally, hypertonic saline solutions kill me and cause inflammation. I use a hypotonic saline solution with added xylitol to make it hyperosmotic, and the salt I use includes potassium and calcium chloride to increase the chloride levels without burning. A recent trial showed the potential to reduce risk of hospitalization if patients began irrigating immediately after a positive PCR test. Povidone iodine solutions showed slightly more benefit, but saline solutions were nearly as effective.

Well, maybe not in the URT, but it will increase sodium in the rest of the body and that has already been shown to have immune-boosting effects that may even have therapeutic effects against cancer. I mentioned this in the original post.

Motif

Like said in another thread nasal irrigation and gargling didn’t even do anything for my cold. Longest cold I ever had with all those stuff I took.

Super sceptical.

Beastmode

Peat personally used a 4% saline solution in distilled water, preferably. At least that's what he told me via email before.

I'm curious about doing this with a nebulizer for general use since we're all bombarded by environmental toxins already.

How would one make a 4% solution of saline?

RealNeat

This seems like another good way to get salt in the air. Breathe Easier with the HALOONE® Halotherapy Generator

It's fancy looking but I'm not sure it's any different than a properly measured out 3% saline in distilled water with Morton's canning salt in a cheap EO diffuser.

Put that in a sauna, get yourself a big glass of OJ and I think any lingering cold should be over the next day.

The is site has some cool salt therapy products Shop - Halosense - Salt Therapy at Home

Last edited:

NewACC

@haidut Hello, George! I am very inspired by your findings about the biochemical effects of salt and decided to experiment with very high doses of salt, which Wiki considers fatal for my weight - 40g (divided into 5 servings)! I noticed that such a dose is VERY effective, perhaps even more effective than phenibut, for suppressing anxiety from the combination of caffeine with aspirinrm, which in itself gives me insomnia and TERRIBLE anxiety, as well as it has a phenibut-like enhancement of mood and warmth, which causes salt to feel, albeit easily, but ephoric; I also practice nofap and it helps a lot with an excessive increase in libido, especially progesterone, so I also feel that it's a little bit, but it helps my autism: it's easier for me to formulate my thoughts and in principle I'm more socialized. Of the cons: TERRIFYING thirst: the first time I tried such a high dose of salt, I almost fainted with pleasure when I drank Coca-Cola during a thirst attack, which is not healthy, diarrhea - which also passes over time, the temperature sometimes rises so much that I can't sleep, but it reduced by potassium carbonate with water; also excessive urination. What do you think, George, what mechanisms can mediate the above-mentioned positive effects? I have my own theory, but I also want to hear yours

Dr. B

@haidut Hello, George! I am very inspired by your findings about the biochemical effects of salt and decided to experiment with very high doses of salt, which Wiki considers fatal for my weight - 40g (divided into 5 servings)! I noticed that such a dose is VERY effective, perhaps even more effective than phenibut, for suppressing anxiety from the combination of caffeine with aspirinrm, which in itself gives me insomnia and TERRIBLE anxiety, as well as it has a phenibut-like enhancement of mood and warmth, which causes salt to feel, albeit easily, but ephoric; I also practice nofap and it helps a lot with an excessive increase in libido, especially progesterone, so I also feel that it's a little bit, but it helps my autism: it's easier for me to formulate my thoughts and in principle I'm more socialized. Of the cons: TERRIFYING thirst: the first time I tried such a high dose of salt, I almost fainted with pleasure when I drank Coca-Cola during a thirst attack, which is not healthy, diarrhea - which also passes over time, the temperature sometimes rises so much that I can't sleep, but it reduced by potassium carbonate with water; also excessive urination. What do you think, George, what mechanisms can mediate the above-mentioned positive effects? I have my own theory, but I also want to hear yours
Sir what methods are you using for so much salt are you mixing it into certain foods or liqudis or just eating iT plain?
It seems salt would go well with a liquid Peat diet of milk OJ coconut water etc but at the same time its hard to consume salt on the liquid diet, some can be mixed into OJ or coconut water but it is tough

NewACC

Sir what methods are you using for so much salt are you mixing it into certain foods or liqudis or just eating iT plain?
It seems salt would go well with a liquid Peat diet of milk OJ coconut water etc but at the same time its hard to consume salt on the liquid diet, some can be mixed into OJ or coconut water but it is tough
I don’t know if this can be recommended, but I buy regular soy sauce and add double the amount of salt that is in it, which tastes terrible at first, but you soon get used to it

Dr. B

I don’t know if this can be recommended, but I buy regular soy sauce and add double the amount of salt that is in it, which tastes terrible at first, but you soon get used to it
Your experience with it sounds interesting. How much salt are you consuming daily is it pink salt sea salt or what kind? So you have severe increase in temps from it? What other effects or benefits?

NewACC

Your experience with it sounds interesting. How much salt are you consuming daily is it pink salt sea salt or what kind? So you have severe increase in temps from it? What other effects or benefits?
I consume up to 40 grams of salt. Consumption divided by 6 times

yerrag

Nebulize normalized saline with H2O2. Supposed to be really good for respiratory illnesses.
It worsened my respiratory issues doing it this way, but this probably has to do with my context. Since I don't believe I have pathogens in my lungs, given that my plegm is frothy snow white in appearance (due to my inappropriate oral intake of cinnamon oil, which is a powerful antimicrobial as well as inflammatory and destructive of mucus linings), the H2O2 serves no antimicrobial purpose, and the body had to get rid of the H2O2 by converting it to water with catalase enzyme or other antioxidants such as glutathione peroxidase or SOD, and a lot of frothing results, further impeding gas exchange.

Same with using H202 with methylene blue.

Tom Levy advocates H2O2 use, and Golwakhar meth blue, but they tend to talk in very general one-size-fits-all, and we should observe effects instead of going down a path because the expert says so.

All experts tend to say the good things they advocate, and keep mum on the gotchas. As the general audience prefer no mention of gotchas, and get confused, and the messaging is lost.

yerrag

Duplicate

yerrag

Nebulize baking soda. CO2 benefits in addition to everything else discussed here
I thought about this. Since efficient gas exchange is an issue here, not only is it harder for oxygen to get into the bloodstream, but it's also hard CO2 to be excreted from the lungs, which leads to respiratory acidosis.

So I'm not sure if baking soda will lead to higher CO2 levels in the lungs, worsening respiratory acidosis.

I toyed with the idea of urea, given that is has been used for wounds in the skin and is antimicrobial because it cleans up the would of decaying protein matter, depriving microbes of food. It's effective for tissue that have been destroyed in the liver as well (due to inflammation and oxidative stress), and my liver enzymes ALT and AST have lowered using it.

I've nebulized with a 30% urea solution of isotonic water, but I'm not sure if it works but it doesn't harm me nor does it cause more foamy phlegm as when I used hydrogen peroxide (0.1%) or methylene blue (0.1%).

Perhaps I can get better results using urea with a 1.5% hypertonic salt solution.

yerrag

@haidut I have another explanation other than that of increased salt in the cell depriving microbes of ATP, to explain why hypertonic nebulization works.

Osmosis. The interstitial space in the lungs get accumulate water, the product of redox reactions between antioxidants neutralizing spillover ROS from immune action on pathogens. The water accumulates and this leads to edema, which inhibits gas exchange. Because of the osmotic gradient introduced by the hypertonic solution into the lung cavities, that water has to come out into the cavity and will relieve the interstitial space of the edematous condition ( aka pleural effusion), and thus allow for better gas exchange

Mauritio

Nebulize baking soda. CO2 benefits in addition to everything else discussed here
"Therefore, inhalation of the nebulized sodium bicarbonate solution (<5%) by the patients with confirmed COVID-19, several times during the day, probably able to stop the fusion and uncoating stages. In this case, the replication phase will also remain barren and eventually the respiratory infection will be controlled. Prospective controlled trials are needed to evaluate this method efficacy."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals