• Due to excessive bot signups along with nefarious actors we are limiting forum registration. Keep checking back for the register link to appear. Please do not send emails or have someone post to the forum asking for a signup link. Until the current climate changes we do not see a change of this policy. To join the forum you must have a compelling reason. Letting us know what skills/knowledge you will bring to the community along with the intent of your stay here will help in getting you approved.

Simple saline solution stops SARS-CoV-2...and maybe all viruses?

Peater Piper

I doubt increasing salt intake will do much to change the salt level of the mucosa in the upper respiratory tract, but I've become a big believer in nasal irrigation over the past couple of years (nasal sprays on the other hand never benefited me at all). Personally, hypertonic saline solutions kill me and cause inflammation. I use a hypotonic saline solution with added xylitol to make it hyperosmotic, and the salt I use includes potassium and calcium chloride to increase the chloride levels without burning. A recent trial showed the potential to reduce risk of hospitalization if patients began irrigating immediately after a positive PCR test. Povidone iodine solutions showed slightly more benefit, but saline solutions were nearly as effective.

InChristAlone

I've used a drop of methylene blue in the irrigator, wouldn't use povidone as it's a vinyl compound.

haidut

I doubt increasing salt intake will do much to change the salt level of the mucosa in the upper respiratory tract, but I've become a big believer in nasal irrigation over the past couple of years (nasal sprays on the other hand never benefited me at all). Personally, hypertonic saline solutions kill me and cause inflammation. I use a hypotonic saline solution with added xylitol to make it hyperosmotic, and the salt I use includes potassium and calcium chloride to increase the chloride levels without burning. A recent trial showed the potential to reduce risk of hospitalization if patients began irrigating immediately after a positive PCR test. Povidone iodine solutions showed slightly more benefit, but saline solutions were nearly as effective.

Well, maybe not in the URT, but it will increase sodium in the rest of the body and that has already been shown to have immune-boosting effects that may even have therapeutic effects against cancer. I mentioned this in the original post.

Motif

Like said in another thread nasal irrigation and gargling didn’t even do anything for my cold. Longest cold I ever had with all those stuff I took.

Super sceptical.

Beastmode

Peat personally used a 4% saline solution in distilled water, preferably. At least that's what he told me via email before.

I'm curious about doing this with a nebulizer for general use since we're all bombarded by environmental toxins already.

How would one make a 4% solution of saline?

RealNeat

This seems like another good way to get salt in the air. Breathe Easier with the HALOONE® Halotherapy Generator

It's fancy looking but I'm not sure it's any different than a properly measured out 3% saline in distilled water with Morton's canning salt in a cheap EO diffuser.

Put that in a sauna, get yourself a big glass of OJ and I think any lingering cold should be over the next day.

The is site has some cool salt therapy products Shop - Halosense - Salt Therapy at Home

Last edited: