Dragon

old pennies = mostly copper
newer pennies = mostly zinc

yeah, wire is better. Romex house-wiring contains three 12 or 14 gauge solid copper wires. Pretty pure copper.

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What's the common method that most people use? The more precise I can copy that, the better dose I can make. Volume and type of vinegar on the penny I suppose is the only factor.

Peat said to fill a shot glass with vinegar and dump the penny inside. A shotglass is 28ml-30ml and you can even get the measured ones so you know exactly how much liquid you poured. Btw, some of the liquid will evaporate so by the end of the week it will be less than 1oz solution but it probably does not matter as it is the copper inside that we care about and that cannot evaporate.

Ella

Forum Supporter
Guys, I can't believe what I am reading here. What's wrong with eating liver and oysters which are RP's preferred sources. Yes, copper is antimicrobial and is the reason copper sulphate is used to address fungal attack in plants such as grape vines. Free copper is toxic and is the reason it is transported in the body with a transport molecule ceruloplasmin. It is tightly regulated and copper is released when dealing with an infectious agent. It should not be free floating as it causes damage in the same way iron does. It too is tucked away deep in tissue sites like iron to prevent damage. It too needs to come out to regain proper organ and gland function.

Eating liver as opposed to copper-rich vegetables, grains and beans comes with its own transport molecule. There is also an intimate relationship between zinc and copper that must not be disrupted. I am sure if you still have copper pipes in your home, you are getting plenty of un-useable and toxic copper. Copper toxicity is a huge problem. Copper is ubiquitous in the environment and those of us that are estrogen dominant accumulate toxic levels of copper. This is one of the reasons that vegan diets with the increased consumption of grains, seeds, nuts and beans are problematic.

There are plenty of safe food sources of bioavailable copper than having to resort to copper pennies or copper wire. Hell copper wire is way too expensive to waste this way. You can make a fortune selling it.

We need to get rid of toxic copper in the body and replace it with bioavailable copper not the other way around. :(:smack

Goats need a lot of copper, so much that if you house sheep with them and the sheep use the goat minerals they can get copper toxicity. When goats become deficient in copper their hair loses its colour.

Based off this post, I am wondering if copper is somehow integral to their immune system.

Yes, copper is extremely important for ruminant animals both goats and sheep. Have you done a soil mineral analysis? Are the goats and sheep purely grass-fed or are you supplementing feed for the goats?

Copper deficient pastures will effect both goats, sheep and cows.

Wool of sheep deficient in copper will be inferior, wirery, loss of pigment, anemia, sway backs in lambs and staggers. During wet season, there will be infestation of worms if not addressed quickly and will result in death.

Sheep though are more prone to poisoning than goats because they are slower at excreting copper than other species like goats (a little like humans). Excess copper thus builds up in the liver where it is stored (like humans). If there is an excess coming in from supplemental feed in a sheep’s diet, it is stored in the liver however slowly excreted (like humans) and accumulates. When the animal is stressed, the copper is released all at once into the blood stream. Again like humans under stress and the animal or human is poisoned. Death is certain when a sheep shows symptoms. Chronic copper poisoning in sheep is not widespread if grazing on pastures - copper deficiency is more common than toxicity due to low copper levels in soil and pastures. Like people, supplementation is the problem.

Don't allow sheep to eat goat feed and check soil mineral levels.

Because of the sensitivity to copper, feed stuff and minerals for sheep have no copper added, which is often confused with not containing any copper. Most feed stuff, be it forage or be it grains, does contain copper. In fact, sheep need copper for very important biological functions. For instance, the development of the central nervous system requires copper. That means there is also the real possibility of copper deficiency.

This should a lesson on why supplementation can be fraught with unforeseen complications. Sell the copper wire and don't eat it. As in the sheep example, it is not pretty when copper comes into circulation. It leads to death in sheep and can lead to suicide in humans.

i8bs

IMG_20170527_100524.jpg

Is this product any use for the purpose discussed in the study?

IMG_20170527_100517.jpg

Ella

Forum Supporter
Obviously, designed for vegans who are likely to be copper toxic making them more gullible to down toxic stuff in the guise of health. Makes a lot of sense. Do you bother reading the MSDS? It is an inorganic form which means it is an industrial product.

Copper(II) chloride can be toxic. Only concentrations below 5 ppm are allowed in drinking water by the EPA.

COPPER(II) CHLORIDE - National Library of Medicine HSDB Database

What the **** is wrong with eating liver and oysters. All the copper you need and more.

Richiebogie

Hi @Ella. Is copper from fruit any safer for us than copper from grain, seeds, nuts, etc? Or are we better able to recognize it and deal with it?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Guys, I can't believe what I am reading here. What's wrong with eating liver and oysters which are RP's preferred sources. Yes, copper is antimicrobial and is the reason copper sulphate is used to address fungal attack in plants such as grape vines. Free copper is toxic and is the reason it is transported in the body with a transport molecule ceruloplasmin. It is tightly regulated and copper is released when dealing with an infectious agent. It should not be free floating as it causes damage in the same way iron does. It too is tucked away deep in tissue sites like iron to prevent damage. It too needs to come out to regain proper organ and gland function.

Eating liver as opposed to copper-rich vegetables, grains and beans comes with its own transport molecule. There is also an intimate relationship between zinc and copper that must not be disrupted. I am sure if you still have copper pipes in your home, you are getting plenty of un-useable and toxic copper. Copper toxicity is a huge problem. Copper is ubiquitous in the environment and those of us that are estrogen dominant accumulate toxic levels of copper. This is one of the reasons that vegan diets with the increased consumption of grains, seeds, nuts and beans are problematic.

There are plenty of safe food sources of bioavailable copper than having to resort to copper pennies or copper wire. Hell copper wire is way too expensive to waste this way. You can make a fortune selling it.

We need to get rid of toxic copper in the body and replace it with bioavailable copper not the other way around. :(:smack

Yes, copper is extremely important for ruminant animals both goats and sheep. Have you done a soil mineral analysis? Are the goats and sheep purely grass-fed or are you supplementing feed for the goats?

Copper deficient pastures will effect both goats, sheep and cows.

Wool of sheep deficient in copper will be inferior, wirery, loss of pigment, anemia, sway backs in lambs and staggers. During wet season, there will be infestation of worms if not addressed quickly and will result in death.

Sheep though are more prone to poisoning than goats because they are slower at excreting copper than other species like goats (a little like humans). Excess copper thus builds up in the liver where it is stored (like humans). If there is an excess coming in from supplemental feed in a sheep’s diet, it is stored in the liver however slowly excreted (like humans) and accumulates. When the animal is stressed, the copper is released all at once into the blood stream. Again like humans under stress and the animal or human is poisoned. Death is certain when a sheep shows symptoms. Chronic copper poisoning in sheep is not widespread if grazing on pastures - copper deficiency is more common than toxicity due to low copper levels in soil and pastures. Like people, supplementation is the problem.

Don't allow sheep to eat goat feed and check soil mineral levels.

Because of the sensitivity to copper, feed stuff and minerals for sheep have no copper added, which is often confused with not containing any copper. Most feed stuff, be it forage or be it grains, does contain copper. In fact, sheep need copper for very important biological functions. For instance, the development of the central nervous system requires copper. That means there is also the real possibility of copper deficiency.

This should a lesson on why supplementation can be fraught with unforeseen complications. Sell the copper wire and don't eat it. As in the sheep example, it is not pretty when copper comes into circulation. It leads to death in sheep and can lead to suicide in humans.

Orally administered copper will quickly get hydrolyzed and shuttled to the liver, and the liver will determine how much gets into systemic circulation. Even if it lets a good portion of it in the blood, it will no longer be a copper salt. And even if it was, it is not a copper/acid complex, which has the potent antibacterial effects. The post was not meant to say "ditch the liver and load up on copper acetate". The point is that for infections in places other than stomach or liver you'd need the unchanged copper acetate to reach that spot and for that some sort of transdermal application would be needed. Hence the title. So, again, this thread is about using copper to treat bacterial infections, not replace dietary copper sources and needs.
As a side note, Peat himself recommended the copper made from penny and vinegar but I agree that liver would be better.

Koveras

The anti-bacterial effects of some metals have been known for millenia. Silver, Gold, copper and even nickel have been used by many ancient civilizations to sterilize water or even disinfect wounds. Of these metals, copper has been getting some renewed attention lately due to its ability to eradicate strains such as MRSA in hospitals even when used at very low concentrations.
This new study found that combining a metal such as copper, sodium, nickel or silver with an organic acid like acetate or benzoate dramatically increases the antibacterial effects of the combination and is able to quickly kill most bacteria, with very few (if any) side effects to healthy cells. As far as I can see copper acetate and copper benzoate were the most effective combinations and were effective in concentrations as little as 1uM, which is achievable with a dose of 3mg-4mg copper acetate or copper benzoate, and those doses are physiological. Now, copper acetate and copper benzoate are hydrolyzed in the stomach when ingested, so when taken orally they may help mostly for things like H. pylori. However, when applied topically they may stay in systemic circulation long enough to have a pronounced systemic antibacterial and anti-viral effect. So, dissolving them in DMSO/ethanol solution and applying to the skin may achieve the equivalent of a very hefty dose of antibiotics like ampicillin or even tetracycline.

The highly synergistic, broad spectrum, antibacterial activity of organic acids and transition metals : Scientific Reports
A Possible Alternative to Antibiotics : ATS

"...Numerous alternatives to antibiotics are already being tested by researchers around the world. Two of these are the use of metals such as silver, zinc, and copper (which were used in ancient Egypt and Greece for treating infection and purifying water sources), and the use of organic acids such as food acid (haidut: acetate, benzoate) that is used as a preservative in the food industry.
In their research, Lewinson and his team combined organic acids and metals at a low concentration, and found that the combination is extremely effective in eradicating pathogenic bacteria such as cholera, salmonella, and pseudomonas, as well as eliminating bacteria that attack agricultural crops such as tomatoes, melons, and apples.
Combining these two types of substances is far more effective than using each one separately,” said Lewinson. “Called ‘synergistic inhibition’, this combination enables the use of extremely low concentrations of metals and food acids for preserving food and spraying crops.” He added that lowering the concentration of the substances has significant positive implications for the environment and human health."

This was in the news recently as well

Simple copper complex shuts down botulinum neurotoxin poisoning

Luann

Why do farmers use copper oxide and copper salts as livestock supplements if they are not the kind that the body wants?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

managing

If your Lincoln Memorial penny has a date before1982, it is made of 95% copper. If the date is 1983 or later, it is made of 97.5% zinc and plated with a thin copper coating. For pennies dated 1982, when both copper and zinc cents were made, the safest and best way to determine their composition is to weigh them.Apr 11, 2017

Gl;itch.e

Orally administered copper will quickly get hydrolyzed and shuttled to the liver, and the liver will determine how much gets into systemic circulation. Even if it lets a good portion of it in the blood, it will no longer be a copper salt. And even if it was, it is not a copper/acid complex, which has the potent antibacterial effects. The post was not meant to say "ditch the liver and load up on copper acetate". The point is that for infections in places other than stomach or liver you'd need the unchanged copper acetate to reach that spot and for that some sort of transdermal application would be needed. Hence the title. So, again, this thread is about using copper to treat bacterial infections, not replace dietary copper sources and needs.
As a side note, Peat himself recommended the copper made from penny and vinegar but I agree that liver would be better.
I imagine a significant portion of topical copper in this form would still be absorbed transdermally? Wouldn't this present a potential danger with toxicity?

yurt

Interesting post!

Copper complexes have been found to be more therapeutic (and sometimes safer) than copper salts for infections and inflammatory diseases in some cases.

Examples of copper complexes: copper nicotinate, copper glycinate, copper cystinate, copper acetylsalicylate (also called copper aspirinate) and copper salicylate.

Copper Complexes as the Active Metabolites of Antiinflammatory Agents (John R. J. Sorenson)

Copper chelates as possible active forms of the antiarthritic agents (John R. J. Sorenson)

Copper complexes of non-steroidal antiinflammatory agents: Analgesic activity and possible opioid receptor activation

Potential Application of Copper Aspirinate in Preventing and Treating Thromboembolic Diseases

Copper complexes of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: an opportunity yet to be realized

Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of Tetrakis(acetylsalicylato)-u-dicopper(II)

Note that some researchers think that chronic exposure to copper salts (via tap water and copper supplements) may contribute to pathologies such as Alzheimer's Disease because non-protein bound forms (in part) bypass liver processing and cause transiently-high blood levels; see for example: The risks of copper toxicity contributing to cognitive decline in the aging population and to Alzheimer's disease.

As far as I am aware, studies have yet to prove this hypothesis, see for example: Intake of copper has no effect on cognition in patients with mild Alzheimer’s disease: a pilot phase 2 clinical trial

managing

I've been suffering from allergies quite badly the last few weeks. I found a bottle of Solgar Copper glycinate (2.5mg). I am aware that copper plays a major role in the intestinal flora that metabolize (and thus prevent adsorption) of histamine. So I cut them in quarters and have been taking one quarter twice a day. Major improvement in my allergies. FWIW. It does scare me long term. But I've also been interested in copper because I have a moderate amount of (moderately) early gray hair.

kiran

Peat said to fill a shot glass with vinegar and dump the penny inside. A shotglass is 28ml-30ml and you can even get the measured ones so you know exactly how much liquid you poured. Btw, some of the liquid will evaporate so by the end of the week it will be less than 1oz solution but it probably does not matter as it is the copper inside that we care about and that cannot evaporate.

Would you neutralize the remaining acetic acid before using it?
With bicarbonate perhaps?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals