Katty

I'm considering buying a copper bracelet. There's another thread that briefly mentions the bracelets- supposedly Ray said it isn't much of a risk of absorbing too much unless you sweat a lot. I'm wondering if it's useful at all to wear one. Any updated thoughts?

chispas

In Australia, there are naturally occurring copper lakes. They look just like normal lakes, just a bit more bluish in colour. Locals suggest to avoid drinking the water from these lakes due to the bad headaches that can result from presumably a small amount. This seems to be common knowledge in these areas. I've seen fish swimming in the lakes without any problem. Not sure if a contaminant in the water could explain the headaches though. These lakes were far away from the influence of industrialization. They were in the outback.

ddjd

This reminded me I need to get some more copper for my goats... :writer:

Goats need a lot of copper, so much that if you house sheep with them and the sheep use the goat minerals they can get copper toxicity. When goats become deficient in copper their hair loses its colour.

Based off this post, I am wondering if copper is somehow integral to their immune system.
Does goats cheese have high copper?

Xisca

Xisca

Since childhood, I have used copper for flues and colds. It works.

BUT last year when I was very ill, not only it did not work, but I had to stop it. it was incredible, I was nausaous and the taste was terrible and I could not stand it. I concluded there was a problem that my body was telling me and stopped.

If I add that zinc was part of my recovery, maybe I have some clue! BE CAREFUL if you supplement with copper. I would use it ONLY when I am ill. Or else you need to be sure you lack it, and you CANNOT be sure. You can have too much and it is stored in the liver, and then it looks like a carency but you have it unavailable.

And doesn't copper increase estrogens?

BrianF

A lot of people keep asking about a copper supplement for general metabolic purposes or hair color restoration, so not I can hit multiple birds with one stone :):
Hey Haidut, have you took that idea any further? Im getting tired of dying my barnet every month.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hey Haidut, have you took that idea any further? Im getting tired of dying my barnet every month.

Why not simply drop a copper penny into a 1oz glass of vinegar and use the resulting solution (copper acetate)?

BrianF

Why not simply drop a copper penny into a 1oz glass of vinegar and use the resulting solution (copper acetate)?
So rubbing that in should get some copper into the hair shaft then? I presume it would be good for dandruff (the vinegar) too.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
So rubbing that in should get some copper into the hair shaft then? I presume it would be good for dandruff (the vinegar) too.

Not sure why you are trying to rub it onto your hair. If it is for hair color, then even slight wetting of the hair with the copper solution should be enough.

managing

Not sure why you are trying to rub it onto your hair. If it is for hair color, then even slight wetting of the hair with the copper solution should be enough.
To be clear, do you mean simply that it will dye the hair a coppery color. I think this is what you mean.

But copper is sometimes implicated (wrongly or rightly) in hair losing pigment, ie turning gray. And some have hypothesized (although I've never seen proof) that correcting a copper deficiency will return color to gray hair.

If you mean the latter, I'd be interested in trying it.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
To be clear, do you mean simply that it will dye the hair a coppery color. I think this is what you mean.

But copper is sometimes implicated (wrongly or rightly) in hair losing pigment, ie turning gray. And some have hypothesized (although I've never seen proof) that correcting a copper deficiency will return color to gray hair.

If you mean the latter, I'd be interested in trying it.

No, I meant it should reverse gray color as Peat mentioned.

Soren

Forum Supporter
So, dissolving them in DMSO/ethanol solution and applying to the skin may achieve the equivalent of a very hefty dose of antibiotics like ampicillin or even tetracycline.

This would be great as a replacement for antibiotics any chance of an antibiotic like Idealabs supplement in the future?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
This would be great as a replacement for antibiotics any chance of an antibiotic like Idealabs supplement in the future?

As I replied to you in another post, combining a MB dose of 5mg-15mg and then eposing yourself to bright sunlight or powerful lamps for 30min-60min may provide the same effects as antibiotics. The copper and other metals would be much riskier as they are more toxic in higher doses.

Soren

Forum Supporter
As I replied to you in another post, combining a MB dose of 5mg-15mg and then eposing yourself to bright sunlight or powerful lamps for 30min-60min may provide the same effects as antibiotics. The copper and other metals would be much riskier as they are more toxic in higher doses.

Thanks Haidut. Any thoughts on what kind of energy dose of light would be required? I have a full body red and near infrared light device that emits about 100mw per cm2 at a distance of 20cm. Or is not about the amount of energy and more the amount of time you are exposed to the light in order to create the ROS needed to kill the bacteria.

Also how long after consumption does MB take to reach physiological levels in the body? I'm guessing just an hour or so.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks Haidut. Any thoughts on what kind of energy dose of light would be required? I have a full body red and near infrared light device that emits about 100mw per cm2 at a distance of 20cm. Or is not about the amount of energy and more the amount of time you are exposed to the light in order to create the ROS needed to kill the bacteria.

Also how long after consumption does MB take to reach physiological levels in the body? I'm guessing just an hour or so.

About 15min after ingesting MB should be enough of a wait. Exposure to a few hundred watts of red/incandescent bulbs should provide bright-enough light.

Amazoniac

- Changes in mammalian copper homeostasis during microbial infection

"Unicellular microbial pathogens that are in direct contact with their environment can be particularly vulnerable to extreme highs and lows in Cu, and during infection the animal host can exploit Cu as weaponry against these microbes.[8–11]"

"The best studied example of Cu in innate immunity involves the Cu burst of macrophages. Macrophages engulf pathogens into the phagolysosome that is essentially an encasement of chemical toxins, including ROS,[12] reactive nitrogen species[13,14] and elevated Cu.[10,15] The elevation in phagolysosome Cu involves both increases in Cu uptake through the cell surface CTR1 Cu importer and pumping of Cu into the phagolysosomal compartment by ATP7A,[16] one of two mammalian Cu-transporting P-type ATPases.[17] In response to Cu elevation in the phagolysosome, successful pathogens have evolved elaborate machineries for Cu tolerance, many of which are virulence factors.[18–23]"

"The animal host can also withhold Cu from invaders and this appears to be especially true in the case of eukaryotic pathogens such as fungi, which heavily rely on Cu as a micronutrient due to numerous intracellular cuproenzymes.[8,24] Interestingly, the macrophage that can attack pathogens with excess Cu can also starve certain microbes of Cu nutrients. When the pulmonary pathogen Histoplasma capsulatum invades macrophages, intraphagolysomal Cu is initially elevated, but at later stages, phagolysosomal Cu diminishes to levels that induce Cu starvation stress in the fungus.[25,26] Another pulmonary fungal pathogen, Cryptococcus neoformans, also encounters extreme highs and lows in Cu during invasion of host. In the lung, pulmonary macrophages attack the C. neoformans with high Cu, but upon dissemination to the brain and cerebrospinal fluid, the fungus is deprived of Cu and activates Cu limitation stress responses.[27–29] The ability to sense Cu limitation and overcome Cu starvation is also important for Aspergillus fumigatus virulence in mice.[30]"

"Another fungal pathogen that is subject to fluctuations in host Cu is C. albicans. C. albicans is a common component of human flora that can cause life-threatening systemic infections.[31,32] In a murine model of disseminated candidiasis, the kidneys, which are the main target organ of infection,[33] display biphasic changes in Cu. At early stages of C. albicans infection, kidney Cu rises, then progressively falls at later stages.[34–36] These changes in host Cu are sensed by the invading fungi, and C. albicans responds first by upregulating Cu export, followed by a Cu starvation stress response involving upregulation of Cu import and downregulation of the major Cu protein, Cu/Zn SOD1.[34,35] C. albicans also infects the spleen and liver in this model of candidiasis, and like the kidney, spleen Cu also displays a biphasic response of initially elevated Cu, followed by Cu loss, while liver Cu initially remains stable then rises later during infection.[34] The fluctuations in kidney Cu during infection are particularly surprising, in that in uninfected animals, kidney Cu typically remains constant relative to other tissues in cases of Cu deficiency or Cu excess.[37–40]"

"[..]it appears that the marked elevation of Cp [Coeruloplasmide] during infection can help in the recovery of serum Fe deficiency during later stages of infection."

"The parallel inductions of Cp and hepcidin during infection seem at odds with one another: while hepcidin works to reduce serum Fe levels, Cp can increase serum Fe through transferrin loading. Our findings suggest a model in which Cp induction serves to restrict the extent of anemia of inflammation induced by hepcidin, which might otherwise be detrimental to the host. However, we cannot exclude other possible roles for Cp during infection. For example, Cp has been shown to act as an antioxidant[45,60–62] and may therefore protect cells from the free radical attack of host immunity. Cp can also act in the oxidation of molecules such as hormones[63] and in nitric oxide oxidation.[64,65] One or more of these alternative biochemical activities may also contribute to Cp function as an acute phase protein. Regardless of its precise activity during infection (recovery in serum Fe versus pro-oxidant or anti-oxidant reactions), Cp seems to contribute to animal fitness during disseminated candidiasis[.]"

"Why do kidney Cu levels decrease during infection? This appears to represent a specific host response to infection or inflammation because such changes in kidney Cu are typically not seen under non-infection conditions of Cu excess or Cu deficiency.[37,39,40,71,75] The loss in tissue Cu could be a nutritional immunity response of the host, i.e., an intentional attempt to thwart pathogen growth by starving the microbe of its Cu nutrients. Indeed C. albicans is subject to Cu starvation when it invades the kidney and responds by increasing fungal Cu uptake and sparing utilization of Cu as a co-factor.[34,35] This withholding of Cu from C. albicans reflects a type of nutritional immunity that is unlike similar mechanisms involving calprotectin sequestration of Mn and Zn,[76,77] in that the Cu limitation is tissue wide rather than localized to sites of infections.[34,35] However, since the loss in kidney Cu is also observed with an infectious agent that does not infiltrate the kidney (Fig. 6C), it more likely represents a global response to infection and inflammation rather than localized nutritional immunity. As an alternative possibility, the loss in kidney Cu may not reflect a bona fide nutritional immunity response, but rather a shift in prioritization of whole animal Cu away from the kidney and towards the liver to meet demands for Cu–Cp production. If this model is correct, the mobilization of kidney Cu is not a direct response to increases in liver Cu and liver Cp, as kidney Cu still declines in the Cp−/− mouse. A similar model invoking cross-tissue redistribution of Cu has been used to explain mobilization of Cu from the liver towards the heart during cardiac Cu deficiency.[66,67] How cross-tissue Cu homeostasis is communicated during infection is still unknown, but a likely possibility involves cytokine release as part of the acute phase response."​