Silica, present in most supplements/food, activates the endotoxin receptor (TLR4)

haidut

Forum Supporter
Many of my readers know about the health risks of silica - a substance doctors and pundits call completely "benign, present in virtually all commercially sold dietary supplements and also in most commercially sold food (even organic ones!). The most commonly used form commercially is silicon dioxide, which is essentially powdered glass! However, despite its ubiquity, the risks of silica have not been widely studied and warning people about its dangers usually elicits accusations of "conspiracy theories" and/or "fearmongering". However, the dangers of endotoxin (LPS) and of other substances capable of activating its receptor (TLR4) are now becoming publicly known to the point where even general practitioners (GP) and family doctors are starting to advise their patients to not consume foods that result in elevation of LPS in the bloodstream. In light of that knowledge, perhaps the study below will change people's perception on silica being "benign", as it demonstrates that simply inhaling silica (which is an amount much smaller than what is ingested through food/supplements) is capable of activating TLR4 and triggering a systemic inflammatory reaction that not only damaged lungs (duh) but also negatively affected bone metabolism and led to bone loss.

Anti-inflammatory effects of Ac-SDKP on lung macrophages | JIR

"...Results: The data indicated that silica inhalation might activate the RANKL and TLR4 signaling pathways in lung macrophages, thus inducing the lung inflammatory and proteolytic phenotype of macrophages and osteoclasts in lung and bone. Ac-SDKP maintained the lung elastin level by inhibiting lung inflammation and macrophage activation via the RANKL and TLR4 signaling pathways. Ac-SDKP also attenuated the reduction in femoral bone mineral density in silicotic rats by inhibiting osteoclast differentiation via the RANKL signaling pathway. Conclusion: Our findings support the hypothesis that inhalation of crystalline silica induces activation of lung macrophages and bone osteoclasts via the RANKL and TLR4 signaling pathways. Ac-SDKP has the potential to stabilize lung homeostasis and bone metabolism."

Last edited:
P

Peatness

The stuff is everywhere it seems. I’m surprised that companies like Life Extension insist on adding silica to a lot of there supplements. Before ray peat I had no idea of the potential harm of this supplement.

michael94

At least the macrophages seem to be helping cleaning up the silica, which should be promising to people with past silica exposure

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
The stuff is everywhere it seems. I’m surprised that companies like Life Extension insist on adding silica to a lot of there supplements. Before ray peat I had no idea of the potential harm of this supplement.

Great study, as it confirms the endotoxin angle. Scleroderma is now known to be caused/driven by TLR4 activation and antagonists at that receptor have been shown to treat it (in animal models).
Yeah, I have no idea what justification vendors come up with to put powdered glass into their products. Like, who cares if the powder in a supplement cakes considering it is usually in a capsule and the person ingests the whole capsule and cares none if the powder inside is caked.

michael94

Great study, as it confirms the endotoxin angle. Scleroderma is now known to be caused/driven by TLR4 activation and antagonists at that receptor have been shown to treat it (in animal models).
Yeah, I have no idea what justification vendors come up with to put powdered glass into their products. Like, who cares if the powder in a supplement cakes considering it is usually in a capsule and the person ingests the whole capsule and cares none if the powder inside is caked.
Its not anti clumping for the consumer, but their pill machines

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Its not anti clumping for the consumer, but their pill machines

Lol, silly me! I thought they actually cared about the consumer, even if it was just on paper.

Sitaruîm

I just found Silica is used as an anti caking agent in table salt in Argentina. Let me tell you thag this country is a mine field when it comes to food fortification and odd ingredients

Perry Staltic

I would think there's probably a big difference between ingesting and inhaling silica. And I doubt it's a biochemical activation of TL4, but rather mechanotransduction, i.e., turning a physical force into a biochemical response. The lungs are probably a lot more sensitive to that kind of thing than the digestive system is.

P

Peatness

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. B

Many of my readers know about the health risks of silica - a substance doctors and pundits call completely "benign, present in virtually all commercially sold dietary supplements and also in most commercially sold food (even organic ones!). The most commonly used form commercially is silicon dioxide, which is essentially powdered glass! However, despite its ubiquity, the risks of silica have not been widely studied and warning people about its dangers usually elicits accusations of "conspiracy theories" and/or "fearmongering". However, the dangers of endotoxin (LPS) and of other substances capable of activating its receptor (TLR4) are now becoming publicly known to the point where even general practitioners (GP) and family doctors are starting to advise their patients to not consume foods that result in elevation of LPS in the bloodstream. In light of that knowledge, perhaps the study below will change people's perception on silica being "benign", as it demonstrates that simply inhaling silica (which is an amount much smaller than what is ingested through food/supplements) is capable of activating TLR4 and triggering a systemic inflammatory reaction that not only damaged lungs (duh) but also negatively affected bone metabolism and led to bone loss.

"...Results: The data indicated that silica inhalation might activate the RANKL and TLR4 signaling pathways in lung macrophages, thus inducing the lung inflammatory and proteolytic phenotype of macrophages and osteoclasts in lung and bone. Ac-SDKP maintained the lung elastin level by inhibiting lung inflammation and macrophage activation via the RANKL and TLR4 signaling pathways. Ac-SDKP also attenuated the reduction in femoral bone mineral density in silicotic rats by inhibiting osteoclast differentiation via the RANKL signaling pathway. Conclusion: Our findings support the hypothesis that inhalation of crystalline silica induces activation of lung macrophages and bone osteoclasts via the RANKL and TLR4 signaling pathways. Ac-SDKP has the potential to stabilize lung homeostasis and bone metabolism."
mate what about Palmitic acid activating the TLR4 receptor and omega 3 having anti endotoxin effects? why would a SFA apparently increase endotoxin while omega 3 reduces?
also what was that word Ray used regarding silica and other nano particles, he even used it in reference to charcoal supplements. was it perfusion, perforation? some word like that.

Lilac

what was that word Ray used regarding silica and other nano particles, he even used it in reference to charcoal supplements. was it perfusion, perforation? some word like that.

Persorption.

koky

is a product with 2% organic silica from urtica dioica any different?

cs3000

so probably best to avoid in general

both the amorphous and crystalline form cause damage / inflammation when inhaled (even at 30nm particle size) Effect of Silica Particle Size on Macrophage Inflammatory Responses

But this OP study shows oral amorphous silicon dioxide was safe when the particle size was big enough, not if its too small
study says it worsens DSS induced inflammation if particle size is small at 10nm (even at ~15mg human dose),
but has no effect in the gut if particle size is 30nm+

we found that the oral administration of small (10 nm) SiO2 nanoparticles (nSP10) exacerbated intestinal inflammation in a DSS colitis model, even when the intake amount was within the common daily intake range, whereas the oral administration of larger (30 nm) SiO2 nanoparticles (nSP30) did not enhance the intestinal inflammation in the same model. Several reports have demonstrated that the unique properties of nanoparticles largely depend on their sizes, and SiO2 nanoparticles have size-dependent cytotoxity

this is mentioned in the report https://efsa.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.2903/j.efsa.2018.5088
When suspended in a liquid, SiO2 particles adsorb solvent molecules, giving rise to structures with sizes up to the micrometre range. These facts were taken into consideration by the Panel when evaluating the safety of silicon dioxide (E 551) used as a food additive.

so does taking silicon dioxide with water make it safe?
i guess the OP study should have shown this as it was in water solution. so probably not

& theres this study looking at silica particles in waste
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0048969716301644?via=ihub

Overall, the six bulk food-grade SiO2 (E551 designation) samples evaluated in this study were similar, with primary particle sizes (9 to 26 nm) within larger agglomerates of 0.5 to 2 µm

SEM images, shown in secondary electron mode, show large agglomerates of particles containing silicon, with 1.3 – 7.5 µm agglomerate size

Nano
-scale SiO2 of the same size and morphology as pristine food-grade SiO2 was observed in raw sewage at a WWTP,

[once it was filtered the average excreted particle size was ~20nm, so in between the unsafe oral 10nm and safe 30nm. but thats after the filtration process where the large particles are probably left behind and other chemicals could be using the small particle silica. so not as relevant]

so at least some of silicon dioxide ingested in food / supplements stays as nano size because its found in untreated sewage from human excretion. unless by morphology they meant nano within large agglomerates?

oral silicon in the right form (not silicon dioxide) can lower gut inflammation

A new therapy against ulcerative colitis via the intestine and brain using the Si-based agent - Scientific Reports
Beneficial Effects of Natural Mineral Waters on Intestinal Inflammation and the Mucosa-Associated Microbiota

(used to increase aluminium excretion at 35mg/L Aluminum and silica in drinking water and the risk of Alzheimer's disease or cognitive decline: findings from 15-year follow-up of the PAQUID cohort & reduces intestinal absorption of aluminium Effect of silicon on gastrointestinal absorption of aluminium)

i think the silicon form in mineral water is different than silicon dioxide. silicic acid or orthosilicic acid , but could be a problem if combined with Colloidal Silica which is inflammatory Mesoporous silica shell alleviates cytotoxicity and inflammation induced by colloidal silica particles

Last edited:

joaquin

What about bamboo powder to remove aluminum from body?

cs3000

What about bamboo powder to remove aluminum from body?
thats silicon dioxide i think. so gambling on particle size
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ction_for_Development_of_Li-ion_Baterry_Anode
Bamboo is a source of organic silica (bio-silica).
The bamboo absorbs silicic acid from the water and then convert it into SiO2 hydrate in the root branches and leaves

mineral water should be safer way to do it with different silicon form,
1 liter of 35mg/L per day to get ~2x increase in aluminium excretion

fiji water has 96mg/L (but idk if they add collidial silica?)
i wonder if the sodium silicate form is safe

Last edited:

Motorneuron

thats silicon dioxide i think. so gambling on particle size

thiamine + mineral water should be safer way to do it with different silica form,
1 liter of 35mg/L per day to get ~2x increase in aluminium excretion

fiji water has 96mg/L (but idk if they add collidial silica?)
Is this "antidote" to remove heavy metals with thiamin only valid in the case of Silica?

cs3000

Is this "antidote" to remove heavy metals with thiamin only valid in the case of Silica?
thiamine works mainly for lead excretion i think (works alone), but i read about aluminium messing with thiamine enzymes. cant find much on that part actually
the silicon found naturally in water source works to increase excretion of aluminium & lower uptake in the intestine also,
without increasing copper & iron excretion too much

Last edited: