Silica In Supplements: What Is It And Why Is It Bad?

norseman

One should understand terminology first: Silicon dioxin (run away..), Silica (load as much as possible). Horsetail doesn't do much, MMST is what we use with all clients.

RWilly

I can only speak from experience, but I did a test for 10 days, where I did not change my diet, and added a teaspoon of diatomaceous earth (silica) mixed with water each day for 10 days. Although my nails and hair grew, it had a huge impact on my blood numbers. My fasting blood glucose of each of those 10 days was in the 130s (diabetes range), my triglycerides (which I had tested twice during that time), was in the 300s, and my fasting insulin spiked up as well. As soon as I quit, my blood sugar went back to the 90s, and my triglycerides and insulin significantly went down.

After a lot of research on why this happened, I believe the cause to be either silica causing increased copper excretion, or that the diatomaceous earth broke up biofilms, thus increasing the amount of endotoxins in circulation.

norseman

DE is great for many purposes. I personally just do not use it as a "silica supplement". I have to gut my nails everyday and hair every week with MMST.. "Side effect" of silica loading..

RealNeat

I wonder if the ubiquitous hydrated silica or sometimes just "silica" in toothpaste is worrisome? I wonder what the particle size it, it must be at least micro? And God forbid nano!?