Silica found in many Whole Foods milk brands

Mito

Update: the vitamin pack they use is proprietary and they won’t share it. @Mito
Even if they won’t provide exact brand, typically they will tell you the ingredients in the pack. I don’t think there is a vitamin pack without polysorbate 80. If there is, I’d like to know.

supercoolguy

Great Work as I have gotten Ingredient Fatigued over the years.
Could milk be tested for said contaimnants?
How many vita pack suppliers are there?

Vileplume

Sefton10

What do you all think about the option of buying a cream separator, if drinking raw milk. It seems like a major hassle, probably taking up like 3-4 hours a week to separate, but it might be worth it. Plus, separators are expensive.

Amazon product ASIN B00D3R1768View: https://www.amazon.com/Dairy-Cream-Separator-Manual-80L/dp/B00D3R1768

I’ve been drinking raw goat milk and loving it, but I think I’m gaining weight. An additive-free skim option would be the bees knees. Worth the hassle

71BBT5rsbCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You could get something like this. The fat stays on top and you get the milk from the bottom. Can use the cream to make other things like butter if you wanted.

Vileplume

71BBT5rsbCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You could get something like this. The fat stays on top and you get the milk from the bottom. Can use the cream to make other things like butter if you wanted.
Great idea, thanks. I’ll look into it. Even though goat milk takes longer to separate than cow’s does, that would still be an improvement. Way cheaper and time-efficient too.

Sefton10

Great idea, thanks. I’ll look into it. Even though goat milk takes longer to separate than cow’s does, that would still be an improvement. Way cheaper and time-efficient too.
Definitely easier with cow’s as goat milk is naturally quite homogenised. I tend to just scoop the fat out the top of the bottle with a spoon if I want a bit less - much easier to do that with jersey milk though!

Dr. B

both freezing and heating seem to help separate the creme layer. but freezing negatively affects taste at least with cows milk. also apparently guernsey cow milk and dutch belt cow milk is naturally homogenized too

Jennifer

What do you all think about the option of buying a cream separator, if drinking raw milk. It seems like a major hassle, probably taking up like 3-4 hours a week to separate, but it might be worth it. Plus, separators are expensive.

Amazon product ASIN B00D3R1768View: https://www.amazon.com/Dairy-Cream-Separator-Manual-80L/dp/B00D3R1768

I’ve been drinking raw goat milk and loving it, but I think I’m gaining weight. An additive-free skim option would be the bees knees. Worth the hassle?

I bought a similar cream separator before discovering that the goat’s milk will separate on its own if left to sit long enough—about 3 to 4 days. I suspect that not all of the fat separates given the feeling left on my lips after drinking the goat’s milk, but it was a pain to clean the separator—just the drum alone contained over 20 pieces that needed to be washed and reassembled after every use—so I returned it. Now I just stick a straw in the jars when I get my milk home from the farm and once the fat has separated, I drink until I hit the cream line. I like Sefton10’s idea, too.

Dr. B

I bought a similar cream separator before discovering that the goat’s milk will separate on its own if left to sit long enough—about 3 to 4 days. I suspect that not all of the fat separates given the feeling left on my lips after drinking the goat’s milk, but it was a pain to clean the separator—just the drum alone contained over 20 pieces that needed to be washed and reassembled after every use—so I returned it. Now I just stick a straw in the jars when I get my milk home from the farm and once the fat has separated, I drink until I hit the cream line. I like Sefton10’s idea, too.
is it necessary to avoid the cream, apparently the saturated fat is needed and helps glucose oxidization and apparently oleic acid (MUFA) helps the detox enzymes?

Sefton10

Credit to @ScottyVP for the idea on another thread

Jennifer

is it necessary to avoid the cream, apparently the saturated fat is needed and helps glucose oxidization and apparently oleic acid (MUFA) helps the detox enzymes?

It depends who you ask. If it’s Ray, he told me he recommends low-fat milk but I personally would drink full-fat if I enjoyed the taste and tolerated it well. I know some people who do much better with full-fat. I prefer low-fat for the taste and as trivial as this may seem, the fact that it doesn’t give me body odor. With too much fat, particularly dairy fat, I start to get a mild odor in my underarms and I like not having to wear deodorant. lol

Lollipop2

It depends who you ask. If it’s Ray, he told me he recommends low-fat milk but I personally would drink full-fat if I enjoyed the taste and tolerated it well. I know some people who do much better with full-fat. I prefer low-fat for the taste and as trivial as this may seem, the fact that it doesn’t give me body odor. With too much fat, particularly dairy fat, I start to get a mild odor in my underarms and I like not having to wear deodorant. lol
I am one of those ones who does well on whole milk. So yummmmy - lol and I feel nourished when drinking it. So nutrient dense. It has played a role in feeling so much better over the last year.

Lollipop2

I agree. I used to drink 1% mostly based on the views of this forum and Ray. When I couldn’t get 1% one week, I took the whole milk. My body loved it. I did so well that week, I couldn’t believe the difference. Never went back. So nutrient dense and a “whole” food with everything as nature determined intact. I drink organic non homogenized and pasteurized because that is what is available.

Sefton10

I agree. I used to drink 1% mostly based on the views of this forum and Ray. When I couldn’t get 1% one week, I took the whole milk. My body loved it. I did so well that week, I couldn’t believe the difference. Never went back. So nutrient dense and a “whole” food with everything as nature determined intact. I drink organic non homogenized and pasteurized because that is what is available.
Whole jersey milk has been great for me too. I think I could pretty much live on milk, honey, eggs and fruit.

Jennifer

I am one of those ones who does well on whole milk. So yummmmy - lol and I feel nourished when drinking it. So nutrient dense. It has played a role in feeling so much better over the last year.

Nice! My family and I are currently using full-fat dairy to get my grandmother healthy. She’s 96 and in a nursing home, and was neglected—we weren’t able to see her due to COVID and were just informed a week and a half ago that she was down to 84 lbs (she was 132). We’ve been making her a variety of 1200 calorie shakes using whole milk, vanilla Häagen-Dazs, egg yolks, fruit, honey, maple syrup etc. and she’s already improving.

I think I could pretty much live on milk, honey, eggs and fruit.

I’m certainly enjoying it. :)

Lollipop2

Nice! My family and I are currently using full-fat dairy to get my grandmother healthy. She’s 96 and in a nursing home, and was neglected—we weren’t able to see her due to COVID and were just informed a week and a half ago that she was down to 84 lbs (she was 132). We’ve been making her a variety of 1200 calorie shakes using whole milk, vanilla Häagen-Dazs, egg yolks, fruit, honey, maple syrup etc. and she’s already improving.

I’m certainly enjoying it. :)
Awesomeness for your Grandmother! Sending her good healing vibrations. What an awesome milkshake yumminess you have created for her. I think this is such a good idea for anyone who is malnourished and underweight.

The milk eggs honey diet sounds so healthy!

tastyfood

I think I can't tolerate the copious amounts of milk that I drink with 1% when it's full fat.

After a while I start to get grossed out, which never happens to me with low fat milk :(

K

Kayaker

I reacted poorly to milk after not drinking it all day. It probably wasn't cacao I reacted badly to after all. I was reading RFK Jr's book, noting that I was reading quickly and smoothly, then drank milk, and POOF I couldn't even read a page anymore. I kept forgetting what the beginning of a sentence said at the end. Yet, I ate cheese at various intervals without a problem. I wonder what's in milk that isn't in cheese and causes such a bad reaction. This is Walmart's lactose-free milk. I have no idea if I'd react the same way to Lactaid. I was lactose intolerant years ago, so I assume that hasn't changed. I want to switch to raw milk, rather than chug supermarket stuff. Notably, it contains 2.5 mcg of vitamin D and 150 mcg of vitamin A. So milk that also has added vitamin A would probably have much more of the industrial solvent than milk with only added vitamin D. I have no idea if it's the solvent, but I don't think silica would cause this much of a reaction.