Silica found in many Whole Foods milk brands

Summer

Thank you for all the brand recommendations on this thread. I've been stuck on the Clover brand because it's what I know and you get into the habit of buying the same thing all the time. Will start trying other brands, and focus on whole milk which I can then skim at home.
No problem!

whats the pricepoint for it? why did you boil it before consuming

that looks great, whats the pricepoint for it
I typically see it for ~$4.99 for 28oz.

This is terrible news. I also drink %1 Lucerne like ray used to since i’ve found it has a really nice taste. Kind of at a loss on what to do now

tastyfood

This is terrible news. I also drink %1 Lucerne like ray used to since i’ve found it has a really nice taste. Kind of at a loss on what to do now

I think it is as easy as transitioning to some of the whole milk options, and skimming the milk at home if you don't want excessive fat intake.

Even with the fortified milk, you are getting lots of benefits. If it doesn't upset your stomach, no reason to worry excessively. We are all learning and moving forward. Worrying too much about it is probably more harmful than how the milk is fortified.

I think it is as easy as transitioning to some of the whole milk options, and skimming the milk at home if you don't want excessive fat intake.

Even with the fortified milk, you are getting lots of benefits. If it doesn't upset your stomach, no reason to worry excessively. We are all learning and moving forward. Worrying too much about it is probably more harmful than how the milk is fortified.
Thanks for that. It is hard to be stressed while eating peaty:lol:. I probably will try some non homogenized whole milk and see how that goes if I can find it.

tastyfood

Thanks for that. It is hard to be stressed while eating peaty:lol:. I probably will try some non homogenized whole milk and see how that goes if I can find it.

Quite a few good suggestions on this thread! I saw Strauss whole milk doesn't have vitamins added, for example.

Vileplume

Smh! Wonder if Costco and Trader Joe brands are part of this group.
It sounds like the main problem is the added vitamins, which have the problematic stuff. So any milk with added vitamins, like low fat costco milks have (and the costco whole a2 milk) would still be problematic.

tastyfood

I just made a quick field trip to Whole Foods and bought the Saint Benoit one as well as the Maple Green Creamery one. $5 and $6.20 respectively, in Norther California.

The Saint Benoit one has the cream on the top, non homogenized. Maple Green is homogenized.

Why do some of you think homogenized is an issue? Is it something in the process of homogenization? Is it the fact that it is more difficult to remove the fat?

Dr. B

I just made a quick field trip to Whole Foods and bought the Saint Benoit one as well as the Maple Green Creamery one. $5 and $6.20 respectively, in Norther California.

The Saint Benoit one has the cream on the top, non homogenized. Maple Green is homogenized.

Why do some of you think homogenized is an issue? Is it something in the process of homogenization? Is it the fact that it is more difficult to remove the fat?
Im not sure if it is an issue. Ray doesnt think homogenization is an issue. the ultra pasteurizing and added vitamins are definitely much bigger issues. Ray doesnt have issue with homgenization. theres quite a few natural food/health type websites who dont like homogenization. some milks are naturally homogenized like camel and supposedly guernsey cow milk. nothing is added to homogenized milk but some sites claim it exposes the milk to additional high temperatures. also i just avoid it since i feel the speeds used to do it are so high they cause a permanent change in the milk, and maybe it causes some issues

haidut

Forum Supporter
just a note on that, the common additive in milks seem to be polysorbate 80 and propylene glycol which is different from polyethylene glycol. i havent had a chance to look into whether propylene glycol or polyethylene glycol is worse, have you compared those? i think propylene is alcohol based while polyethylene is petroleum based
and yes i think silica and carrageenan are uncommon additives in milk, several milk places said the polysorbate 80 and prop glycol are the standard, i think it isnt possible to find the liquid vitamin mixtures for milk without those two added, its probably just one or a few suppliers supplying these vitamin mixes for milk.

i can notice a clear difference drinking milk with added vitamins vs without. if i drink a half gallon or gallon of milk with added vitamins, even whole milk with only vitamin d3 added, my face skin looks more red and irritated and actually becomes bloated the next day. also digestive symptoms. whereas milk with no added vitamins i dont notice anything significant, maybe possible diarrhea if i drink a lot very quickly. raw milk seems to have a more constipating or neutral effect than pasteurized milk

also interestingly enough every chocolate milk ive seen on the market, even expensive organic brands, use carrageenan but the 711 organic brand uses gellan gum or tapioca starch in their chocolate milk

FWIW, people have emailed me saying the Parmalat brand also seems to be tolerated better than some of the high-end organic brands. Maybe there is a method-to-the-madness of Peat drinking Lucerne and other commercial brands. Maybe those brands have settled on a formula that generates the least amount of lawsuits and have discovered that UHT pasteurization and lack of additives is less risky to sell...

supercoolguy

My local Whole Foods has begun stocking Alexandre Family Farm milk. It is pasteurized but it’s organic and has no additives/fortification. Pretty good.
Ive tried that brand on 2-3 occasions and it make me smell like a farm animal. Just lilke it does in the bottle when I started to notice. What ever the grass those cows are eating, Its Pungent. (Always checked the dates)

Dr. B

Ive tried that brand on 2-3 occasions and it make me smell like a farm animal. Just lilke it does in the bottle when I started to notice. What ever the grass those cows are eating, Its Pungent. (Always checked the dates)

thats odd cuz we have something similar, the family farmstead brand which is 100% A2, organic, 100% grass fed, low temp pasteurized and theres no odor. even raw milks ive tried (100% grass fed, A2) dont have an odor

FWIW, people have emailed me saying the Parmalat brand also seems to be tolerated better than some of the high-end organic brands. Maybe there is a method-to-the-madness of Peat drinking Lucerne and other commercial brands. Maybe those brands have settled on a formula that generates the least amount of lawsuits and have discovered that UHT pasteurization and lack of additives is less risky to sell...

when you were testing for silica/carrageenan, did you test any milk brands without any added vitamins and find anything in those? im not sure if its worth testing the vitamin fortified milks for polysorbate 80/propylene glycol since many brands may admit to putting those ingredients in the vitamin fortified milk

also the parmalat brand, it appears their whole milk does have added vitamin D3? but its possible they could be using different emulsifiers. maybe there are safer emulsifiers than the polysorbate 80/propylene glycol like sunflower lecithin or something else.

haidut

Forum Supporter
when you were testing for silica/carrageenan, did you test any milk brands without any added vitamins and find anything in those? im not sure if its worth testing the vitamin fortified milks for polysorbate 80/propylene glycol since many brands may admit to putting those ingredients in the vitamin fortified milk

I only tested the organic brands in the local WholeFoods, which all had labels saying vitamins were added. I will keep that in mind for the next test and make sure there are at least 1-2 brands that at least claim to have nothing added.

supercoolguy

thats odd cuz we have something similar, the family farmstead brand which is 100% A2, organic, 100% grass fed, low temp pasteurized and theres no odor. even raw milks ive tried (100% grass fed, A2) dont have an odor
No issues w/A2 variants. Just that one brand was pungent grass fed. Hoping Bill Ghates creates a fake grass that cows can safely eat and virtually eliminate methane gas from destroying the ozone. The Ghates Foundation: Saving the Planet..... one cow at a time.

Last edited:

tastyfood

I just heated up a big glass of the Saint Benoit brand. It tastes good. It has a ton of fat sitting at the top of the bottle which is not easy to remove at all unless you use one of the devices mentioned in this thread.

I get rid of some of the fat by heating up the milk in a sauce pot, and letting the fat settle at the top while it cools down. A lot of fat still remains I'd say.

I love the convenience of skimmed milk from US stores but....(insert everything discussed in this thread about vitamin mixes and additives).

If there are no issues with homogenization I may try the Strauss whole milk brand. No vitamins added.

Vileplume

I’m gonna get my hands on some raw goat milk this weekend, will report back here on how it affects me.

I’ve had some nagging digestive issues and have tried all different things lately, and I simply cannot get my temps above 98.4 or so. Who knows, maybe getting milk without additives will be a game changer.

Dr. B

I just heated up a big glass of the Saint Benoit brand. It tastes good. It has a ton of fat sitting at the top of the bottle which is not easy to remove at all unless you use one of the devices mentioned in this thread.

I get rid of some of the fat by heating up the milk in a sauce pot, and letting the fat settle at the top while it cools down. A lot of fat still remains I'd say.

I love the convenience of skimmed milk from US stores but....(insert everything discussed in this thread about vitamin mixes and additives).

If there are no issues with homogenization I may try the Strauss whole milk brand. No vitamins added.
why not blend the fat into the milk and drink? what % would you say the fat is?

@haidut according to one of the organic milk brands, most whole milks on the market are standardized. which means even though they are whole milk, the milk manufacturers actually remove all the fat from the milk, then add back in precisely 3.25% milkfat into the milk, and call it whole milk since that is the minimum fat percentage for whole milk. then it goes under the homogenization/pasteurization processes. the standardization of the fat is one more processing step which usually isnt mentioned on milk products. its done mainly for profit reasons, and consistency. the extra milkfat is used for butter, cream, cheese etc.

so some of these milk brands where they dont standardize the milks, the milkfat comes in at 4.5% or sometimes even 5.5% or higher.

also apparently the holstein cows have been bred for many years to produce copious amounts of milk which is lower in quality and percentage of fat. that is the white/black cow and the common milking cow in the US. it is claimed the A1 protein is a result of genetic mutation, but that is the mainstream claim, i wonder if the A1 protein resulted due to cows being raised/fed in extremely unsanitary ways or if they were possibly fed cow meat or something. because the jersey and guernsey cows, human breast milk, sheep milk, camel milk, goat milk etc are apparently all A2... the A1 is a modern thing supposedly result of a genetic mutation

also a lot of these milks are apparently naturally homogenized to some extent. non homogenized guernsey and goat and camel milk, basically is still homogenized. whereas non homogenized jersey cow or regular holstein milk has a huge cream layer that forms at the top

tastyfood

why not blend the fat into the milk and drink? what % would you say the fat is?

I don't know what fat percentage this one has, but if it's judge the layer of fat at the top then I'd say not much! Reading your last message I'm starting to think that perhaps the whole milk varieties are not as fatty as they seem? Skim milk is 1%, semi skimmed is 2%. 3.25% is not that much higher?

The process you described makes perfect sense. Even if someone likes whole milk, who wants to drink so much fat? All that fat is really useful for making other products and it would be a waste to leave it in the milk.

The brand Saint Benoit is from Jersey cows, and they advertise that in the package.

Thanks for such an insightful post.

meatbag

No issues w/A2 variants. Just that one brand was pungent grass fed. Hoping Bill Ghates creates a fake grass that cows can safely eat and virtually eliminate methane gas from destroying the ozone. The Ghates Foundation: Saving the Planet..... one cow at a time.
Nah, they'll jut ban all food except that produced by his chem-food labs
Smh! Wonder if Costco and Trader Joe brands are part of this group.
Probably, last time I bought milk at costco it all had added fish oil :naughty

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals