Silica found in many Whole Foods milk brands

tastyfood

Does it have added Vitamin A & D? If yes, it has small quantities of Propylene glycol, Polysorbate 80 and Water.

Yes it does. Even the whole milk version has Vit D added to it.

Is this the list of ingredients from the vitamin mix that you received from Whole Foods directly? I just read through the thread.

I wonder if boiling the milk does anything to these additives.

Mito

Is this the list of ingredients from the vitamin mix that you received from Whole Foods directly? I just read through the thread.
I emailed a couple milk companies and they said that what the standard vitamin pack comes with, they claim it’s in parts per billion levels.

For what it’s worth, Peat drinks 1% commercial milk (Lucerne), so apparently he’s not overly concerned about it.

tastyfood

For what it’s worth, Peat drinks 1% commercial milk (Lucerne), so apparently he’s not overly concerned about it.

That's right. If I were to worry too much about it, RIP to my calcium intake and one of the main protein sources for me throughout the day. Being wary of the silica seems fair, it's literally powdered glass...

tastyfood

This is just another one of those situations where I miss the food quality standards from Europe, where I grew up. I live in California now but can't wait to go back to purchasing milk at the store and all it has is "milk", that's it.

The additives in Europe are much better regulated too. They have a "e-code" system, and suppliers are legally obligated to list all the "e-codes" additives on the label.

Dr. B

I emailed a couple milk companies and they said that what the standard vitamin pack comes with, they claim it’s in parts per billion levels.

where did you find Peat drinks commercial milk? Ive seen that posted on here but, I just asked Peat two months ago regarding milk and he said he buys his milk directly from farmers who dont treat it, and then he heats it up on his own and removes some of the fat. He said he heats it to help separate the fat more and he skims it himself.
Also Peat recently found out about the additives in milk, also around 3 months ago when Haidut first mentioned it in danny roddys podcast. Peat was surprised and told him its important to get that info out there. I told him about the propylene glycol polysorbate 80 and he also thanked me and said thats important to know. Apparently he was already getting raw milk for some time but I doubt he will go back to commercial milk now unless its whole without added vitamins.

the milk companies themselves said they dont need to list inactive/insignificant ingredients. this is probably something that occurs with any product with added vitamins. like possibly redbull, juices with added vitamins. it could occur with cereals but I wonder since breads and cereals are dry food products, they may just be able to use the supplement powders on their own without additives. the propylene glycol and polysorbate 80 i think are specifically to preserve and emulsify the vitamins into a liquid solution.

i think these additives are probably why so many people have intolerances to dairy, seemingly even more so than bread/gluten. whole milk isnt required to be homogenized or have vitamins added but most whole milks will still add vitamin D3 to it which has the same fillers.

also when I discussed it with Ray he sent me an extremely long post with references regarding allergies to polyethylene glycol or propylene glycol and how this one dude narrowed it down to those ingredients causing his reactions and his doctors agreed. also im pretty sure oregon and california allow raw milk to be legally sold alongside the same raw food warning you see commonly posted on the raw sushi and unpasteurized fresh juice products.

That's right. If I were to worry too much about it, RIP to my calcium intake and one of the main protein sources for me throughout the day. Being wary of the silica seems fair, it's literally powdered glass...

if you get whole milk without any added vitamins you dont have to worry about it. also from my understanding california, washington and oregon allow the sale of raw milk legally. i heard the whole foods stores out there actually sell the raw milk in stores? is that true? because if youre buying the raw milk from a grocery store its likely safer and more reliable than buying it from a farmer you dont know.

haidut

Forum Supporter
whole foods adds vitamin A and D to even their whole milk. their whole milk might not have carrageenan or silica but its likely to have polysorbate 80 and propylene glycol.

If the milk products contain polysorbate 80 then it is much worse than the silica, as the former is a known carcinogen. We did not test for it at the time as I was just focusing on silica being convinced that this is what have me digestive symptoms from most commercially available milk brands. We will test next time for polysorbate 80 and a few other baddies like PEG (which is in vaccines and Ray says is also carcinogenic).

Dr. B

Ray Peat on Patrick’s show - “The one I use most often is Safeway’s Lucerne milk”

View: https://youtu.be/HWBqzz3lguo

interesting, it must be a new change. he said this two months back

"I get it directly from farmers who don’t treat it, and then I skim it because I don’t want so much fat."
"The organic milk I have had from various supermarkets, supposedly reliable brands, has often had an unpleasant taste and soured quickly, even when pasteurized, which I think indicates poor feeding and milking techniques. Sanitary milking practices and good feed—combined hay and pasture—produce clean milk with a good taste that doesn’t need pasteurization. I often heat the milk to speed separation of the cream."
"The method of separating whey from casein determines how much calcium each has; neither by itself is as good."

Ray seemed to find out for the first time regarding fillers in milk when Georgi brought it up a few months back. Ray seemed pissed about it

Mito

If the milk products contain polysorbate 80 then it is much worse than the silica, as the former is a known carcinogen. We did not test for it at the time as I was just focusing on silica being convinced that this is what have me digestive symptoms from most commercially available milk brands. We will test next time for polysorbate 80 and a few other baddies like PEG (which is in vaccines and Ray says is also carcinogenic).
I think it’s a safe assumption that if the milk has added Vitamin A & D it does contain Propylene glycol & Polysorbate 80. It‘s probably a question of how many parts per billion and does that level pose a significant carcinogenic risk (obviously 0 ppb is ideal)?

Dr. B

just a note on that, the common additive in milks seem to be polysorbate 80 and propylene glycol which is different from polyethylene glycol. i havent had a chance to look into whether propylene glycol or polyethylene glycol is worse, have you compared those? i think propylene is alcohol based while polyethylene is petroleum based
and yes i think silica and carrageenan are uncommon additives in milk, several milk places said the polysorbate 80 and prop glycol are the standard, i think it isnt possible to find the liquid vitamin mixtures for milk without those two added, its probably just one or a few suppliers supplying these vitamin mixes for milk.

i can notice a clear difference drinking milk with added vitamins vs without. if i drink a half gallon or gallon of milk with added vitamins, even whole milk with only vitamin d3 added, my face skin looks more red and irritated and actually becomes bloated the next day. also digestive symptoms. whereas milk with no added vitamins i dont notice anything significant, maybe possible diarrhea if i drink a lot very quickly. raw milk seems to have a more constipating or neutral effect than pasteurized milk

also interestingly enough every chocolate milk ive seen on the market, even expensive organic brands, use carrageenan but the 711 organic brand uses gellan gum or tapioca starch in their chocolate milk

Summer

My local Whole Foods has begun stocking Alexandre Family Farm milk. It is pasteurized but it’s organic and has no additives/fortification. Pretty good.

Vileplume

Dang, this is unfortunate because it makes it nearly impossible to find low fat milk in the US, unless you skim it yourself, which is a bit of a hassle. For those who prefer A2, finding milk can already be challenging.

I've been drinking low fat A2 goat milk from Meyenberg, but they add A and D, so I will be switching. For those in the US near a trader joes, the Trader Joe's brand "Summerhill Goat Milk" features "goat milk" as the only ingredient.

Just to be clear, do you think whole fat, additive-free milk is preferable to low fat milk with vitamins added?

Dr. B

Dang, this is unfortunate because it makes it nearly impossible to find low fat milk in the US, unless you skim it yourself, which is a bit of a hassle. For those who prefer A2, finding milk can already be challenging.

I've been drinking low fat A2 goat milk from Meyenberg, but they add A and D, so I will be switching. For those in the US near a trader joes, the Trader Joe's brand "Summerhill Goat Milk" features "goat milk" as the only ingredient.

Just to be clear, do you think whole fat, additive-free milk is preferable to low fat milk with vitamins added?

doesnt that meyenberg brand have a lot of PUFA. in their whole goat milk it was 4g sat fat and 2.5g PUFA per cup!
whole fat milk is likely safer than the low fat with additives. you would probably need to cut out fat from other sources

tastyfood

i heard the whole foods stores out there actually sell the raw milk in stores? is that true? because if youre buying the raw milk from a grocery store its likely safer and more reliable than buying it from a farmer you dont know.

I've seen the raw milk on the shelves on and off in California's Whole Foods stores. It is incredibly expensive and not sustainable for us who are heavy milk drinkers. I also find it inconvenient. Any time I purchased raw milk, I made sure I boiled it because consuming it.

tastyfood

My local Whole Foods has begun stocking Alexandre Family Farm milk.
Thank you for all the brand recommendations on this thread. I've been stuck on the Clover brand because it's what I know and you get into the habit of buying the same thing all the time. Will start trying other brands, and focus on whole milk which I can then skim at home.

tastyfood

The brand Strauss, whole milk version, seems to not have any vitamins added to it either?

Dr. B

I've seen the raw milk on the shelves on and off in California's Whole Foods stores. It is incredibly expensive and not sustainable for us who are heavy milk drinkers. I also find it inconvenient. Any time I purchased raw milk, I made sure I boiled it because consuming it.

whats the pricepoint for it? why did you boil it before consuming
My local Whole Foods has begun stocking Alexandre Family Farm milk. It is pasteurized but it’s organic and has no additives/fortification. Pretty good.

that looks great, whats the pricepoint for it

tastyfood

whats the pricepoint for it? why did you boil it before consuming

that looks great, whats the pricepoint for it

I can't remember exactly but I'm talking $12 per bottle type of deal...any other brand would be $5.

I boiled before consuming because I prefer my milk warm, and to kill any harmful bacteria.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals