Side Effects Of Too Much Serotonin

Regina

This explains a lot.

I've been wandering through life these last 10 years or so feeling apathetic and anhedonia about pretty much everything. Starting to turn a corner though - noting pleasurable experiences, feelings, and desires that have been AWOL. I don't know if it has anything to do with the dosing of L-Tyrosine I'm taking or not, but I'm slowly starting to turn a corner. I read that it can help with dopamine in serotonin-dominant people.
Neat. It sounds like you are pointing in the right direction. Being present and having a deeper optimism. You might like Diamant.

M

member 2106

It's like you're just drawing up a list of all the negative symptoms you can think of and ascribing them all to high serotonin. I'll add another: death.

Stevie

Before I started taking ssri's I was very anxious, my mind would race ( which working in the creative industry's was helpful as I could produce ideas thick and fast), I couldn't sit still, slept poorly, lacked appetite and had a very slow digestive system.
I became agoraphobic and began ssri's. Now I have little anxiety, I sleep better, eat better. My mind still races somewhat and I'm no less creative. Strangely though my digestion improved for the first few weeks of taking ssri's then returned to 'normal' . So it would appear I had low serotonin and the ssri's raised it briefly, but if it is now low again, why am I still free of anxiety?
I know ssri's are suppose to raise allopregnanolone, but I don't think that alone is the reason for their success, with me at least. I tried 5a-DHP, which is supposed to raise allopregnanolone, yet I felt no improvement on it.
The only thing that worries me about all the ssri horror stories is the osteoporosis as I'm so slight, but the single most important thing for me to do is reduce anxiety.

Constatine

It's like you're just drawing up a list of all the negative symptoms you can think of and ascribing them all to high serotonin. I'll add another: death.
I can attest to most things listed here after taking my fair share of pro and anti - serotonin drugs and supplements. But I agree we should provide evidence for every symptom.

OP
M

member 6316

I can attest to most things listed here after taking my fair share of pro and anti - serotonin drugs and supplements. But I agree we should provide evidence for every symptom.
everyone with high serotonin lvls know this is true obviously this guy doesent have this problem.

DaveFoster

It's the total opposite

High creativity and artistic ability = high dopamine. Dopamine makes you emotionally intense and volatile whereas serotonin numbs you
This explains a lot.

I've been wandering through life these last 10 years or so feeling apathetic and anhedonia about pretty much everything. Starting to turn a corner though - noting pleasurable experiences, feelings, and desires that have been AWOL. I don't know if it has anything to do with the dosing of L-Tyrosine I'm taking or not, but I'm slowly starting to turn a corner. I read that it can help with dopamine in serotonin-dominant people.
Volatile =/ creative; sociopaths are volatile, artists are creative. Both assert their ideas. The idea of assertion without aggression should be emphasized.

Dobbler

So is gelatin a good protein for lowering serotonin? If my daily protein intake is 110g and 50g of that is gelatin.

Djukami

everyone with high serotonin lvls know this is true obviously this guy doesent have this problem.
I emphasize with you and I thought the same. However I can't surely tell that all those symptoms are due to high serotonin levels. It could be misleading.

churchmouth

I can feel some remarkable changes in my chemistry when I take cyproheptadine (for example), which has been associated with lowering serotonin, but to attribute all the feelings to low serotonin seems a bit simplistic. A more extreme analogy of this would be mushrooms or LSD, there is certainly a lot at play. Especially when your feelings are undoubtedly subject to placebo, and filtered through an inherently biased ego (as for all of us).

Constatine

So is gelatin a good protein for lowering serotonin? If my daily protein intake is 110g and 50g of that is gelatin.
Gelatin itself is good against serotonin but the ingestion of pure gelatin can lead to increased serotonin in the gut. For this reason I get my gelatin via bone broth.

Constatine

Btw, does protein increase serotonin?

For the last 10+ years I've consumed 90-120grams a day.
No. Though eating protein without carbs can lead to a stress reaction. Eating carbs without protein will increase brain serotonin. So protein is pretty good.

OP
M

member 6316

can too much serotonin cause Strength? I feel like it does in some kind of way.

-annoyed easily
-cant express feelings

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Planet

When you say that these symptoms are caused by high serotonin, are you referring to CNS serotonin or peripheral serotonin? As far as I know, there is no way to accurately measure CNS serotonin, except for extremely invasive tests.

For those of you who claim to have high serotonin, how are you determining this? Through blood tests? I'm just curious because it seems a bit presumptuous to blaim so much on a single neurotransmitter.

Emily Cahill

What do you do if you have all these symptoms, but also take ssri's for bi polar disorder. Medication that you cannot do without?

D

Deleted member 5487

What methods you guys have used succesfully to greatly lower serotonin?

Gelatin.

Was the turning point for me. Orange juice and ice cream were Great. But the real secret is Gelatin. Try NOW beef gelatin.

I can literally feel high serotonin following a high protein meal (excluding milk) without gelatin to counter. Anxiety, fog fatigue the whole 9 yards.

Lots add, anxiety, and libido issues cleared up.

lvysaur

So very creative people have High serotonin levels, bipolar etc? So is there a tradeoff in brilliant creativity with lowering serotonin?

Depends how you define creativity. I think there is a mode of creativity that is borne out serotonin, stress-based, exhausted metabolism.

Gelatin.

Was the turning point for me. Orange juice and ice cream were Great. But the real secret is Gelatin. Try NOW beef gelatin.

I can literally feel high serotonin following a high protein meal (excluding milk) without gelatin to counter. Anxiety, fog fatigue the whole 9 yards.

Lots add, anxiety, and libido issues cleared up.

Gelatin helped me as well.

For a long time I thought being high serotonin was good because I was walking around in an agitated highly confrotational state.

I thought I was being alpha. :facepalm:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom