side effects from cascara

I took cascara for the first time last night, 1/4 a tsp before bed. After about an hour, I started getting euphoric tingling bodily sensations, but still didn't manage to sleep for many hours. Later on in the night I started getting pain in my bladder, liver, and chest area, very loud ringing tinnitus, and a dry mouth and intense thirst, which I quenched with some OJ and milk, and in general feeling very agitated hence unable to sleep.

This morning (sorry if too much information) I had an incredibly difficult to pass stool, which smelt strongly of sweet cow manure...

Could the side effects I experienced during the night have been a sort of caffeine like effect, where it was boosting my metabolism a bit too much?
Also, regarding safety, I was reading things about it being possibly liver toxic and just wanted to confirm that it's safe to take in lower than laxative doses for prolonged periods of time?
Thanks in advance!

JanW55

Forum Supporter
Hello, new recently manifested Member @Incen ! Welcome. I just happened to notice your post there.

Cascara Sagrada, AKA the Sacred Herb or Sacred Bark, I am told, is very powerful in certain supplements. It is perhaps more weak in whatever preparations (of which I know naught) but anyhow, I use two forms, VERY SPARINGLY (since I am a very hypersensitive entity): both are "AGED" which is supposed to be an important aspect; anyway, the brands are (liquid) HERB PHARM, and the other is (powder) from Tom Brimeyer's ForefrontHealth website.

Not knowing what brand or source you used, or if it was "Aged" properly, I can't comment on your exact repercussions; I WILL say that it is very strong in the two forms I have at hand here. We're talking (in my case) a few drops of the liquid in a day, or a smidgen of the powder (probably 1/16 teaspoon or less).

Good luck in your endeavors, health-seeking path, and check out the Tom Brimeyer website if you're experiencing any hypothyroid symptoms.

Happy Holidays, if you celebrate!

JW

JanW55

Forum Supporter
I have never experienced bad effects from cascara aged bark powder.
@ecstatichamster Hello! I have been following you these past 2 years or so, in here; anyhow, I have had good effects from cascara sagrada too, but due to hypersensitivity have to take it slow and in small amounts.

It is much less of a disaster than senna for example, in my case; but beware the dread prune-substances such as Prunelax! (Or "real prunes" -- let's say my husband has never forgotten THAT episode when I went wild eating some dried prunes from a bag -- it's an addiction almost, I do like them).

Anyhow, I do find the powder casc sagr Brimeyer form quite helpful but it is necessary for me to take small smidgen doses. Such a 'smidgen' spoon did come with the powder in fact.

@ecstatichamster Hello! I have been following you these past 2 years or so, in here; anyhow, I have had good effects from cascara sagrada too, but due to hypersensitivity have to take it slow and in small amounts.

It is much less of a disaster than senna for example, in my case; but beware the dread prune-substances such as Prunelax! (Or "real prunes" -- let's say my husband has never forgotten THAT episode when I went wild eating some dried prunes from a bag -- it's an addiction almost, I do like them).

Anyhow, I do find the powder casc sagr Brimeyer form quite helpful but it is necessary for me to take small smidgen doses. Such a 'smidgen' spoon did come with the powder in fact.

I totally get it. I find 1/8th of a teaspoon or a bit more works for me.

OP
deliciousfruit
Hello, new recently manifested Member @Incen ! Welcome. I just happened to notice your post there.

Cascara Sagrada, AKA the Sacred Herb or Sacred Bark, I am told, is very powerful in certain supplements. It is perhaps more weak in whatever preparations (of which I know naught) but anyhow, I use two forms, VERY SPARINGLY (since I am a very hypersensitive entity): both are "AGED" which is supposed to be an important aspect; anyway, the brands are (liquid) HERB PHARM, and the other is (powder) from Tom Brimeyer's ForefrontHealth website.

Not knowing what brand or source you used, or if it was "Aged" properly, I can't comment on your exact repercussions; I WILL say that it is very strong in the two forms I have at hand here. We're talking (in my case) a few drops of the liquid in a day, or a smidgen of the powder (probably 1/16 teaspoon or less).

Good luck in your endeavors, health-seeking path, and check out the Tom Brimeyer website if you're experiencing any hypothyroid symptoms.

Happy Holidays, if you celebrate!

JW
Thanks

serling78

I just started using cascara powder to make tea about 4 days ago and the first time I took a 200mg does and did feel a little out of it and tired. With other doses though I haven't felt anything other than a little tired.

Does cascara have any effect on serotonin? And could that have a negative impact on libido? Has anyone experienced any libido related side effects either way from cascara?

My body is very sensitive to anything I ingest so I've got to ask....

serling78

When I made my last post above I was already suspecting cascara was having an impact on my libido. I took a couple days off and it bounced right back. Then last night I had cascara tea (just cascara powder and hot water) and today it's clear that physically there is shrinkage down there (this happens to me pretty easily from a variety of things) and desire has tanked as well. I've done a little more searching online today and found info suggesting cascara can deplete electrolytes. I hadn't heard that before, but wondering if that's the cause of the side effects I've seen. Idk if it would happen so fast though ?