Sickle Cell Anemia

XPlus

I've a 10 year old sister born with Sickle Cell anemia.

She always had to deal with the occasional pain attacks. Often mild but at times severe. There was one time when she was one years old and got salmonella. She was put in intensive care and had to take a course of antibiotics and morphine for 30 days. High level medical interventions have been the norm for her.

Now, she had her bladder removed after a severe infection. She often complains of stomach pain.
She's on hydroxeria, takes folic acid, vitamin D and some pain medications, too.

I can see Dr. peat referring to it as "germ cell mutations". However, I don't know what this means.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/re ... tion.shtml

Any thoughts, dietary guidelines and reasoning are highly appreciated.

Suikerbuik

Since you have no answers yet, and it's christmas time. I'll give it a go.

Germ cell mutations are mutations that arise in either egg cells or sperm cells. Meaning the mutation will be present in every cell.

I don't know much about sickle cell anemia. I don't know anyone with this condition either. I only know there are misformed RBCs, that leads to less stamina and therefor prone to all kinds of chronic issues. Low vitamin D and else you describe are not a good signs. I am no doctor and will not give you direct advice, also to prevent false hopes.

Keep inflammation and toxic waste exposure as low as possible. This will prevent further reduction in red blood cell function by preventing aggregation of the RBCs.

Give her good nutrition food wise. Oxtail broth, meats, seafood like shrimp, cod, oyster, mussel (if she likes), fruit and fruit juices. See how she does with milk products, because these can give mucus issues. Also see how she does with starches. You can read about this in more detail on the forum. Red light and CO2 can also be beneficial, especially amybe in this case, FYI please.

All the best!

OP
XPlus

XPlus

Thanks Suikerbuik,

I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

I'll get her to do more of things you mentioned right.
I'll keep you posted.

P

Peatness

I know this is an old thread, I came across this article and this seems like a good place to post it

RealNeat

Would this then be a potential therapy? I have heard that people with sickle cell anemia are protected from malaria.

Sickle Cell Disease and Phenylketonuria (PKU): You May Have the Genes, But Your Diet Determines Your Symptoms

"The reason for this difference is that the typical African diet includes cassava and African yam, foods with significant amounts of thiocyanate. Americans with sickle cell trait don’t typically eat these foods, and that’s why they develop symptoms more often.

In 1932 potassium thiocyanate (KSCN) was used to resolve sickle cell crisis. My reading suggest that this method never did become standard care, and was hardly mentioned at all until 50 years later, when it still didn’t become an accepted strategy. Potassium thiocyanate binds through a process called carbamylation to the site of error on the sickle hemoglobin molecule inside the red blood cell and corrects it. The shape and lifespan of the red blood cell are normalized by this reaction."

P

Peatness

I found this blog

RealNeat

I found this blog

I’m curious of Rays thoughts on this, I’ve heard him comment on b17 and such before but it has slipped my mind.

The explanation seemed plausible when I first found it but having thought about it more how can something toxic be needed by the body to operate properly?

The malaria connection is very interesting.

P

Peatness

I’m curious of Rays thoughts on this, I’ve heard him comment on b17 and such before but it has slipped my mind.

The explanation seemed plausible when I first found it but having thought about it more how can something toxic be needed by the body to operate properly?

The malaria connection is very interesting.
To be honest I know very little about B17

I was reading Adele Davis' chapter on anemia recently and came across a paragraph about increased requirement of folic acid to treat sickle cell - she suggests around 5mg per day.