Sicker Than Ever, Finding It Hard To Research Effectively

OP
Zpol

Zpol

Yay! We do not have a smart meter.

Tinnitus, migraines, vertigo, constpation, fatigue, allergies, neck and shoulder pain are all symptoms of Hypothyroidism. What thyroid product are you taking? How long have you been taking it? Are you taking just the t4/t3? I was taking 1/4 of Novotiral (5:1 ratio) nightly and started having aches (arm, leg, hand). After a few days I realized my dose might have too much t4. I now skip some nights and also nibble some t3 a few times per day. I haven’t had the achiness since.
I'm taking Levothyroxine 50mcg 6 days per week (one dose in the morning) and Liothyronine 10mcg (split, 5 mcg morning and evening). My temps and pulses indicate my thyroid is ok, as does my bloodwork. I used to take Rx prescription (Naturthroid) natural desiccated thyroid but became dangerously hyperthyroid (lost 20lbs, looked like Skelator, and my eyes and mouth felt like sandpaper, a nightmare). My thyroid issues are delicate, the slightest bit of stress and it gets out of whack.

HDD

Yay! We do not have a smart meter.

I'm taking Levothyroxine 50mcg 6 days per week (one dose in the morning) and Liothyronine 10mcg (split, 5 mcg morning and evening). My temps and pulses indicate my thyroid is ok, as does my bloodwork. I used to take Rx prescription (Naturthroid) natural desiccated thyroid but became dangerously hyperthyroid (lost 20lbs, looked like Skelator, and my eyes and mouth felt like sandpaper, a nightmare). My thyroid issues are delicate, the slightest bit of stress and it gets out of whack.

These are just some thoughts I have. Maybe it is too much t4 right now even though your labs, temperature, and pulse are good. I think thyroid needs are always changing. As you mentioned, stress, and also light, seasons, diet, etc. all are factors. With me, arthritis type symptoms appear, and it took me a few days to recognize that the t4 was making me more hypo. Another thought I had reading your posts was estrogen. Years ago, a respected forum member stated that all allergies were estrogen related. What progesterone are you taking? Have you considered taking it continually, temporarily, and not worry about your monthly cycle?

Have you done the Achilles reflex test? My husband did mine recently and I had no reflex!

achillea

It's hard to find accurate information I think. For every expert who speaks of the dangers, there's another expert who has an opposing viewpoint.
My dad is a certified EMF inspector (his profession is home inspections). One can use sensor equipment and measure distance from sources to determine 'safe' zone but there's no telling how each individual reacts to the resulting readings. One person's safe zone might be toxic to another. Plus there's many other variables when dealing with health issues. Currently, I do everything I can to minimize exposure (besides moving to a cave or sequestering myself from it all-which I would if I had the money); but how do I know when I've done enough since there's always so many other variables?--I think a lot of people feel this way too. I do what I can to spread the word. It's frustrating that people don't listen and worse that people who have symptomatic health issues from EMF/wifi are made a mockery off. Plus, people that do know and understand, would rather deal with the health issues and still have their devices.

TAKE A LOOK AT THE FIRST 12 MINUTES. Sorry if it is not at the beginning

... I started getting vertigo/woozines/light-headed and migraines, then started ...along with eye floaters and tinnitus, ...and lots of fatigue.

Are you thin? Low ATP
How did you conclude you have to much NO?
Falling asleep during daytime? Increase Orexin
Nicotinamide Riboside Supplements increases SIRT1, which increases Orexin receptor

what are you taking to battle oxidative stress?
If your mitochondria are not working well, results in more oxidative stress and less ATP.

For this You can take:
-Boswellia
-Increase DHA temporarily
-Polyphenols from olives and extra virgin olive oil
-High dose Fructose

OP
Zpol

Zpol

These are just some thoughts I have. Maybe it is too much t4 right now even though your labs, temperature, and pulse are good. I think thyroid needs are always changing. As you mentioned, stress, and also light, seasons, diet, etc. all are factors. With me, arthritis type symptoms appear, and it took me a few days to recognize that the t4 was making me more hypo. Another thought I had reading your posts was estrogen. Years ago, a respected forum member stated that all allergies were estrogen related. What progesterone are you taking? Have you considered taking it continually, temporarily, and not worry about your monthly cycle?

Have you done the Achilles reflex test? My husband did mine recently and I had no reflex!
You are right about the thyroid fluctuations. It's hard to stay on top of it.
I am taking 200mg natural micronized, in olive oil, in capsules, orally. I start them on day 18 of my cycle till the end (which varies). I tried the Progest-e but couldn't get the 200mg dose which is what my physician prescribed, plus the vit e aspect was giving a cough as went down. I also tried it vaginally but like all just oozed out (lol...sorry TMI). I can't risk too much because I have a history of amenorrhea and too much can cause it.
My reflexes are good as of last year's physical so that's good!

Thanks @achillea ! This a great informative little video, and easy to understand for someone like me. I especially appreciate he gives a number value to look for (I plan to get a sensor, currently researching the different ones). He's right freaking on about the problem of men (ehem, my boyfriend), my dad (the so called expert). I know it's not ALL men, obviously, and it IS some women too. My boyfriend is my biggest obstacle since he's my caretaker too. Thanks again, this vid answers lots of my questions.
Fortunately, I do not have a smart meter (just checked this morning).

Are you thin? Low ATP
I am skinny fat. I look thin but it's all flab, no muscle. I definitely have low ATP as verified by my biometrics and lab work ups.

How did you conclude you have to much NO?
Based on my symptoms of connective tissue pain, constipation, migraines... high NO is typical in all those symptoms.

what are you taking to battle oxidative stress?
If your mitochondria are not working well, results in more oxidative stress and less ATP.
I have been taking Oxidal off and on, with no discernible difference in symptoms but it has raised my RBC into normal range. Also Energin, but the B6 might be causing my headaches, not sure.

-Boswellia
I've had this recommended to me before. I do put frankincense in all my lotions (all natural coconut based) and use it frequently for other things. Haven't tried it internally though.
I do make sure to get plenty fructose.

connective tissue pain, constipation, migraines . seems to me like NO unrelated issues.

You are right about the thyroid fluctuations. It's hard to stay on top of it.
I am taking 200mg natural micronized, in olive oil, in capsules, orally. I start them on day 18 of my cycle till the end (which varies). I tried the Progest-e but couldn't get the 200mg dose which is what my physician prescribed, plus the vit e aspect was giving a cough as went down. I also tried it vaginally but like all just oozed out (lol...sorry TMI). I can't risk too much because I have a history of amenorrhea and too much can cause it.
My reflexes are good as of last year's physical so that's good!

Thanks @achillea ! This a great informative little video, and easy to understand for someone like me. I especially appreciate he gives a number value to look for (I plan to get a sensor, currently researching the different ones). He's right freaking on about the problem of men (ehem, my boyfriend), my dad (the so called expert). I know it's not ALL men, obviously, and it IS some women too. My boyfriend is my biggest obstacle since he's my caretaker too. Thanks again, this vid answers lots of my questions.
Fortunately, I do not have a smart meter (just checked this morning).

I am skinny fat. I look thin but it's all flab, no muscle. I definitely have low ATP as verified by my biometrics and lab work ups.

Based on my symptoms of connective tissue pain, constipation, migraines... high NO is typical in all those symptoms.

I have been taking Oxidal off and on, with no discernible difference in symptoms but it has raised my RBC into normal range. Also Energin, but the B6 might be causing my headaches, not sure.

I've had this recommended to me before. I do put frankincense in all my lotions (all natural coconut based) and use it frequently for other things. Haven't tried it internally though.
I do make sure to get plenty fructose.

Sounds to me, after your gut problems, your are now suffering from ... mitochondrial dysfunction and overstimulated serotonin receptors - 5htc2 that can cause - Chronic fatigue syndrome

How is you anxiety and mood changes?
low Insulin levels?

"When given an antagonist of the 5HT2C receptor, people with CFS reported less perceived fatigue (R), which might implicate this receptor in fatigue as well."

The receptor is increased by inflammation (R), and inflammation can also cause fatigue by shutting down orexin.
You should use a bio- boosted -curcumin 5HT2C regulator, and -cissus quandrangularis (connective tissue / collagen ..healing) treatment. in addition to the circulation/collagen increasing Centella herb. And boswellia for increasing AMPK.

Something like this:
check this supplement out:
Joint

Curcumin: Scientific review on the supplement's benefits, dosage, side effects, and more
How to take...
Curcumin‘s anti-depressant effect work in part via the 5HT2C receptor.

tara

I do avoid dairy as well. I've been thinking a calcium supp might be in order (along with Mg, and Zn) to balance all the meat I've been eating. I suppose I should eat more greens too, they don't always go down well, even cooked, but I know I need the nutrients. I've been trying some bitter greens tea infusions recently, they do help somewhat.
If whole green veges don't agree with you, you may still get quite a bit of the mineral benefit from just drinking the broth.
I figure without milk, and without eating massive amounts of leaves, I probably can use some extra calcium, but I'm not taking massive amounts.
For calcium supplement, I think Peat has said that the cleanest is likely to be clean egg shell powder, followed by clean oyster shells. I haven't been able to find or grind egg shells fine enough to tolerate, but I got some nice fine oyster shell from purebulk before they stopped selling it.
I have not been exercising and stretching due to the gastritis and GERD but those issues have resolved some so I can get back on it.
I was thinking about specific exercises for the neck - eg carefully retracting, extending, twisting, etc. But I also find that when I can get regular walks outside during the day - nothing extreme - that helps too.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

connective tissue pain, constipation, migraines . seems to me like NO unrelated issues.

Sounds to me, after your gut problems, your are now suffering from ... mitochondrial dysfunction and overstimulated serotonin receptors - 5htc2 that can cause - Chronic fatigue syndrome

How is you anxiety and mood changes?
low Insulin levels?

Well, I'm completely freaked out and emotional, so there's that. I don't know how I'm going to address all the possibilities... mold, EMF, wifi, work environment, food sources, glyphosate, mineral balance, Vitamin deficiencies, etc. <---these things are why I'm freaked out.

Not in my lab work ups, but I do feel faint and sweaty if my blood sugar falls.

"When given an antagonist of the 5HT2C receptor, people with CFS reported less perceived fatigue (R), which might implicate this receptor in fatigue as well."

The receptor is increased by inflammation (R), and inflammation can also cause fatigue by shutting down orexin.
You should use a bio- boosted -curcumin 5HT2C regulator, and -cissus quandrangularis (connective tissue / collagen ..healing) treatment. in addition to the circulation/collagen increasing Centella herb. And boswellia for increasing AMPK.

Something like this:
check this supplement out:
Joint

Curcumin: Scientific review on the supplement's benefits, dosage, side effects, and more
How to take...
Curcumin‘s anti-depressant effect work in part via the 5HT2C receptor.

This is very interesting. I'm not familiar with all the serotonin receptors and serotinergic systems, but I thought that because Curcumin has similar effects as SSRI's it may be actually acting on the same serotinergic systems.
The antidepressant effects of curcumin in the forced swimming test involve 5-HT1 and 5-HT2 receptors. - PubMed - NCBI
That said, Curcumin has a long standing medical history of very positive outcomes so maybe there's some synergistic effect that mitigates the serotonin?

I was thinking about specific exercises for the neck - eg carefully retracting, extending, twisting, etc. But I also find that when I can get regular walks outside during the day - nothing extreme - that helps too.
Thanks. I think I'm going to start doing intermittently at work. Now that it's finally nice out, I'll be able to get some good walks in.

achillea

To think that just because the radiation is not ionizing, i.e. the wavelength is above a certain threshold, it can not be bioactive/harmful is pretty naive and to hear that argument on a Ray Peat forum is even more astounding.
Visible blue light is non ionizing, yet it can damages skin and eyes.
Red light is non ionizing, yet it activates crucial enzymes for oxidative metabolism.
There are numerous intramolecular vibrational modes which might have a resonance in the GHz range or below.

The paranoid part of myself thinks that there is a planned social conditioning program to discredit people who speak about it.
The use of this theme in the very popular netflix series "Better call saul" might be an example of that.

I have experienced the effects it can have myself several times already.
One time our internet connection had some issues, so I used my mobile phone as a "modem".
It was connected to my PC via Wifi and I used the UMTS of the mobile phone for the internet connection.
After 5-10 minutes I started to have brain fog and a mild headache which kept getting worse. After shutting the phone down, it subsided.
I repeated it as an experiment some time after that and I could repeat the results.
After this incident I stopped laughing at people who warned against overexposure to "non ionizing radiation".

2 days of cell phone use breaks the same number of DNA as the radiation of 1600 chest x rays

See minutes35=40

Blossom

Forum Supporter
D) Since I'm almost 40 years old..."The older the person is, the more emphasis should be put on protective inhibition, rather than immediately increasing energy production. Magnesium, carbon dioxide, sleep, red light, and naloxone might be appropriate at the beginning of therapy."~ RP. In which case; how much red light?, would I do bag breathing for CO2 or is there a better way? how do I dose with Naloxone and where do I get it?
I think bag breathing might be worth a try. 2-3 times per day for just a minute or two until it just ever so slightly starts to feel uncomfortable.
I find red light most helpful before bed. 250-500 watt halogen or incandescent seems beneficial for general purposes and lowering stress hormones. Many people are having positive experiences with more specialized lights like the ones from @LifeGivingStore.
I will add more tomorrow.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

Thank you @achillea . I'm definitely making more changes in my home and with general electronics use.

how is your history of caffeine ingestion? Are you a chronic caffeine user?
I drink two cups per day. I'm literally addicted, as in I get serious withdrawal effects if I skip a couple cups. It doesn't seem to have an effect on my cortisol though, as far as my free t3 lab work is concerned.

I think bag breathing might be worth a try. 2-3 times per day for just a minute or two until it just ever so slightly starts to feel uncomfortable.
I find red light most helpful before bed. 250-500 watt halogen or incandescent seems beneficial for general purposes and lowering stress hormones. Many people are having positive experiences with more specialized lights like the ones from @LifeGivingStore.
I will add more tomorrow.
Thanks Blossom. I'm having some improvement with the wooziness, migraine, and nausea. It's still there but only coming in waves, not persistent.
I have managed to cut down on several of the supps that I was taking. But we'll see what my mineral analysis will reveal, whatever it is , hopefully I can make dietary changes to correct it.

I do have some paper bags , I should get on that more habitually. I have been doing more pranayama breathing, this has helped with anxiety significantly.
I have been using my 250watt incandescent as ambient lighting in the evening most nights, but im usually wearing several layers of clothes and a scarf so it only affects my face really. I am thinking of getting one of the body lights, the orange+red+NIR from the Life giving store. I am thinking I should email them to get more specifics. Mainly, how to best use it to heal and also to prevent DOMS as I need to start some yoga and strength training to try to gain some muscle back, I lost so much this year. Also, about those pesky EMFs, I imagine it has about the equivalent to a joovv light, which is minimal, or so they claim.

Thank you @achillea . I'm definitely making more changes in my home and with general electronics use.

I drink two cups per day. I'm literally addicted, as in I get serious withdrawal effects if I skip a couple cups. It doesn't seem to have an effect on my cortisol though, as far as my free t3 lab work is concerned.
Consider stopping caffeine stimulation?

"Caffeine Interferes with the Calming Neurotransmitter GABA

GABA (Gamma-aminobutyric acid) is a neurotransmitter that is naturally produced in the brain and the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. It plays an important role in mood and stress management and it exerts a calming effect on digestive system.

Caffeine has been found to interfere with binding of GABA to GABA receptors, preventing the neurotransmitter from performing its calming function. (Ribeiro, J.A. and Sebastiao, A.M. 2010), (Utley, 1992)

In cases of IBS, ulcerative colitis, and other lower digestive disorders in which the lower GI tract is already irritated and often hyperactive, the lack of GABA’s calming effect further exacerbates the problem. In addition to the direct effect on the GI tract, GABA’s role in stress management is also compromised in the presence of caffeine. This is significant because psychological stress is known to be a contributing factor in IBS. (Babb, 1984) (Rocca, D. J., et al, 1998)"

"Magnesium is necessary for stable collagen formation in connective and epithelial tissue. (Vaxman, et al, 1996) It is also a crucial mineral for the biochemical processes involved in wound healing, (Utley, 1992) making it vital to healing the irritated lining of the colon in IBS. Coffee consumption decreases magnesium levels in the body. (Johnson, S., 2001)"

edit:
also Coffee consumption can decrease amounts of circulating B-vitamins,
Coffee consumption and circulating B-vitamins in healthy middle-aged men and women. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:

achillea

This is the last sentence of the above cited study;
" We hypothesize that coffee consumption may increase the loss of surplus B-vitamins by excretion in urine."

In my scientific life I was taught you hypothesize first then either prove the hypothesis or not through the experimentation.

In other words this is junk science.

Blossom

Forum Supporter

Thanks Blossom. I'm having some improvement with the wooziness, migraine, and nausea. It's still there but only coming in waves, not persistent.
I have managed to cut down on several of the supps that I was taking. But we'll see what my mineral analysis will reveal, whatever it is , hopefully I can make dietary changes to correct it.

I do have some paper bags , I should get on that more habitually. I have been doing more pranayama breathing, this has helped with anxiety significantly.
I have been using my 250watt incandescent as ambient lighting in the evening most nights, but im usually wearing several layers of clothes and a scarf so it only affects my face really. I am thinking of getting one of the body lights, the orange+red+NIR from the Life giving store. I am thinking I should email them to get more specifics. Mainly, how to best use it to heal and also to prevent DOMS as I need to start some yoga and strength training to try to gain some muscle back, I lost so much this year. Also, about those pesky EMFs, I imagine it has about the equivalent to a joovv light, which is minimal, or so they claim.
You mentioned protective inhibition and naloxone in your original post so I wanted to discuss that further. I've not used naloxone but I've used LDN (low dose naltrexone) for similar purposes after a period of intense stress and found it quite helpful. I don't want to push anything on you and I think it is a great idea to minimize supplements and meds as much a possible but I did find the TLR4 antagonist properties of LDN pretty amazing. It was just the break my body needed at the time. I'm in my late 40's so I think sometimes the protective inhibition route is quite therapeutic to give the body a chance to recover from repeated, intense or prolonged stress. Anticholinergics might be another area to investigate as part of a protective inhibition approach if your symptoms don't improve.

achillea

Do you remember the canary in the mine to detect for dangerous gases? Those showing signs and symptoms to EMF radiation are our canaries....Cell phone and wifi are affecting all of us believe it or not!
The Japanese are now setting up cell phone addiction clinics.

The first is a 3 minute trailer for a movie on cell phone radiation, the second is a movie on the dangers of smart meters.

Mobilize - A Film on Cell Phone Radiation

This is the last sentence of the above cited study;
" We hypothesize that coffee consumption may increase the loss of surplus B-vitamins by excretion in urine."

In my scientific life I was taught you hypothesize first then either prove the hypothesis or not through the experimentation.

In other words this is junk science.
No, this is nonsense. They did do experiments to prove it. Only, The sentence in question should not be in the conclusion, oke. but this does not mean that the study is total junk.

You can read the full report and methods used here

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals