Sick of spending so much money on food! Is rice the solution?

jnklheimer

I eat a lot of rice because I enjoy it, prepared well. Put the effort in to cook it properly so the rice has a good texture, and use coconut oil and salt on it and it tastes amazing. I usually have rice like this with eggs during the day and for dinner rice and meat. The rest of my diet is mostly orange juice, milk, sugar, and some vegetables. I like fruit too but don’t eat much because the quality is so poor around here.

fr@

I actually find this Ray Peat Diet (Inspired) expensive,
just the Milk & Fruit alone adds hugely to my overall monthly expenditure,
that thinking about adding Collagen to the diet is an instant no for me [laughing emoji].

At the moment, I think lowering your Protein Intake would be Cost Effective,
like just hitting the bare minimum -- I think it's just around 80-100 grams a day,
from what I heard from Ray Peat (if I remembered it correctly).

But my question with that though, does that apply to all sizes?

Dr. B

Because of the lack of water resources, they were using reclaimed water from fracking sites for date trees. This was years ago.
whats this referring to?

Interesting...didn't know that. I prefer figs over dates anyways :)
hows figs over dates related to that? whats better about figs over dates?

Ooh gotcha beat, $100 a month, but I have access to lots of natural resources and buy all my stuff in bulk. When the whole organic milk is half price I buy several gallons and freeze it. It seems to me you are mapping it out to your needs and wants, maybe a bit more research on where best in your area to get each item? Even here in rural AK, I can buy a GALLON of amazing grade B maple syrup for $47 if I go to a certain store thats a few miles more, beats paying $24 for a pint in mainstream store that only has amber grade which is more processed, less tasty, less nutrients
grade B syrup, honey and milk is better than grade A? i thought grade A is best?

i'm basically the same. i always feel like i'm playing "catch up" as in im always a step behind my metabolism which makes me go hungry often and i lose weight quickly.

irregardless of price, pounding rice + butter is basically my only solution for calories. when i try to swap rice for potatoes, i get too artificially full in the stomach while my brain and muscles still need more calories. the insulin also messis up my blood sugar. whole milk or ice cream also doesn't feel to good as a main source of calories.

youve tried whole milk?

Milk is not a calorie dense food. Why won't you add several pounds of sugar and pasta:)) should be cheap
I don't think past 2 liters of milk you can extract any more benefit from it unless you are seriously bulking.
This post is like a joke on those milk sensitive...I see many people on here are happy to be able to handle 2-3 cups a day and you need more than a gallon (3.8 liters)?
Dairy farms must be making good money on guys like you

whole milk should be reasonably high? a half gallon is 1200 calories, 64g protein, 64g fat, 96g carbs

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

i'm basically the same. i always feel like i'm playing "catch up" as in im always a step behind my metabolism which makes me go hungry often and i lose weight quickly.

irregardless of price, pounding rice + butter is basically my only solution for calories. when i try to swap rice for potatoes, i get too artificially full in the stomach while my brain and muscles still need more calories. the insulin also messis up my blood sugar. whole milk or ice cream also doesn't feel to good as a main source of calories.
Ah, so you know how it feels then. Totally know that feeling of being "artificially full"... a certain level of calorie density is needed to avoid that.

Apple

whole milk should be reasonably high? a half gallon is 1200 calories, 64g protein, 64g fat, 96g carbs
Yeah, but still half gallon for just 1200 calories... why not just fatty piece of meat ?
Is everybody on here so happy to walk around with inflated/overstrectched stomach?

akgrrrl

whats this referring to?

hows figs over dates related to that? whats better about figs over dates?

grade B syrup, honey and milk is better than grade A? i thought grade A is best?

youve tried whole milk?

Friend, your inquisitive nature is so encouraging. If you know what fracking is and how its done then you understand the context of the post and prev comment. Same for maple syrup or anything processed...if you understand how things are made then you understand, period. Look how helpful you have been on this forum because you asked the right question and became knowledgable enough to pass it to us! Your research skills are very much appreciated here in this regard.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Ooh gotcha beat, $100 a month, but I have access to lots of natural resources and buy all my stuff in bulk. When the whole organic milk is half price I buy several gallons and freeze it. It seems to me you are mapping it out to your needs and wants, maybe a bit more research on where best in your area to get each item? Even here in rural AK, I can buy a GALLON of amazing grade B maple syrup for $47 if I go to a certain store thats a few miles more, beats paying $24 for a pint in mainstream store that only has amber grade which is more processed, less tasty, less nutrients
$100 a month. Wow! I'd imagine you don't eat as much as I do, but still.

This has encouraged me to look for other ways to cut costs. $100/week would still be great. Just got some bulk cocoa butter to start making my own chocolates.

akgrrrl

Dont bet on that. 200# 6ft tall, vigorous lifestyle.

Unbelievable!! I just tried my first batch maple fudge with coconut cream. FAIL. Was too grainy, taste ok but back to trying with candy thermometer.

$100 a month. Wow! I'd imagine you don't eat as much as I do, but still.

This has encouraged me to look for other ways to cut costs. $100/week would still be great. Just got some bulk cocoa butter to start making my own chocolates.

Apple

Just adding couple of slices of bread to my morning (1%)milk makes me forget about food until lunch and I can do some more productive/creative stuff than focusing on food all the time. If I just drink milk I feel hungry and not satisfied, can't focus, and get lactose overload. Eating just bread hurts my stomach.
I would explain it that bread absorbes milk and slows down its digestion, moving more slowly through intestines, allowing more time for absorption than just feeding colon bacteria

Last edited:

Forsythia

Grana Padano and Parmigiano Reggiano most reliably have no added enzymes. Superstore and Costco are good sources – at least here in Canada. My issue is finding cottage cheese without carrageenan or guar gum.
Smitty, since you shop at Costco, try the dry curd cottage cheese that Costco sells. They sell it with 2 bricks of dry curd cottage cheese joined together, 500 grams each brick. Very high in protein and very good quality with no additives like carrageenan or guar gum.

To make it similar to regular cottage cheese, mush it together with milk and salt. It is really delicious, even better than regular cottage cheese because it doesn't have that nasty slippery feeling that the gums cause.

akgrrrl

Smitty, since you shop at Costco, try the dry curd cottage cheese that Costco sells. They sell it with 2 bricks of dry curd cottage cheese joined together, 500 grams each brick. Very high in protein and very good quality with no additives like carrageenan or guar gum.

To make it similar to regular cottage cheese, mush it together with milk and salt. It is really delicious, even better than regular cottage cheese because it doesn't have that nasty slippery feeling that the gums cause.
GREAT FIND

Forsythia

GREAT FIND
akgrrl, hope you can find it in Alaska. In regular stores it can be quite expense, but at Costco the price is more reasonable (partly because you have to buy 2 packages together). I absolutely love salty cottage cheese with fruit.

Vileplume

I spend a lot on food too, like around $30 a day, so over $200 a month. I drink a ton of goat milk, which comes out to like $5 a quart. Plus organic fruit, sugar, coffee, liver, eggs, carrots, mushrooms. Plus, supplements too! :crazy: Definitely more than I would like to spend, and way more than I used to spend, but I used to be super depressed and now I'm not. If these expenses mean I can perform better at my job, have better relationships, enjoy each day even 2% more than otherwise, nothing seems more worth the extra money. What am I saving for if not to ultimately be happy? For me, food is the most critical factor in achieving this. I'd rather cut funds in other parts of my life.

But on the other hand, some people don't have the luxury to make decisions of where to cut their spending -- they have to cut it on everything. I don't make a lot of money though, I'd say my income is pretty average. I guess I'm just saying that you can't put a price on happiness, so the funds spent there should have highest priority.:freedom

Jennifer

@Forsythia, may I ask, is the cottage cheese in bricks a Costco brand?

Dr. B

Just adding couple of slices of bread to my morning (1%)milk makes me forget about food until lunch and I can do some more productive/creative stuff than focusing on food all the time. If I just drink milk I feel hungry and not satisfied, can't focus, and get lactose overload. Eating just bread hurts my stomach.
I would explain it that bread absorbes milk and slows down its digestion, moving more slowly through intestines, allowing more time for absorption than just feeding colon bacteria
isnt slow digestion responsible for bacteria feeding off the foods?
bread provides that fullness because it's a starch, the fullness is apparently artificial. it just bloats/clogs up the stomach. milk is liquid and speeds up the metabolism so it's normal for it to cause hunger, feel not as satisfied. probably you have to combine the milk with some chocolate or fruit...

akgrrrl

6 ft tall?! I want to be you when I grow up, akgrrrl. :D
Haaah. Well it works in tandem with "built my own house" and " check out my library of old books" to eliminate a great many of the males who just happenstance to be roaming in the woods here

Vileplume

Haaah. Well it works in tandem with "built my own house" and " check out my library of old books" to eliminate a great many of the males who just happenstance to be roaming in the woods here
*sigh,* I’ve just been waiting for a woman to say “check out my library of old books.” To this day, no one has. :waiting

Forsythia

@Forsythia, may I ask, is the cottage cheese in bricks a Costco brand?
Jennifer, no it is not a Costco brand. It is from a Canadian dairy, brand name MC Dairy. It is sold at all of the grocery stores in my neighbourhood, but Costco has the best price. I see they call it: Pressed Cottage Cheese (same thing as dry curd).

Nutrition is:
125 grams (3/4 cup)
Calories 130
Fat 1 gram
Calcium 10% of RDA

Here is a picture of this brand:

1628463690655.png

Apple

isnt slow digestion responsible for bacteria feeding off the foods?
bread provides that fullness because it's a starch, the fullness is apparently artificial. it just bloats/clogs up the stomach. milk is liquid and speeds up the metabolism so it's normal for it to cause hunger, feel not as satisfied. probably you have to combine the milk with some chocolate or fruit...
Milk feeds bacteria same way (Lactose). If too much lactose gets to colon it causes terrible farting. With bread - no farting.
If fruit is starchy and in combination with milk, it is a bomb for bacteria...but I don't feel any bad symptoms from combination bread and milk, on the contrary...
Usually I avoid gluten, but milk with bread in the morning is the best lunch for me, against all the theories on here.

What's the point of consuming several liters of only milk if it just flushes to toilet?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals