Sick of spending so much money on food! Is rice the solution?

Apple

Cheese/Milk is not the cause of hairloss ...
right, there is no evidence for that...only some anti scientific observations
In my country people eat heavily cheese/pizza and there are lots of old people with shiny heads among middle class,
while I can see in poor families men often preserve hair (Pizza/ cheese is exspensive to them)
rich people often prefer beef to pizza and have better hair too
I don't think bread is problem since everybody eats lots of bread in different forms here

Last edited:

Ideonaut

I eat a higher fat version of the stereotypical Peat diet...and while it's tasty, it's also super pricey. I spend about $200/week on food for just me! (Granted, I eat at least 4000 cals/day.)

All this money going towards food is seriously slowing down the rate at which I can save. Saving money faster, in this case, will allow me to buy the farm I've been wanting to - resulting in a better living environment.

It'd be great to cut the food bill in half, down to around $100/week. Pretty sure a diet based around rice, eggs, milk, and honey could accomplish this. (Keyword being rice, lots of rice.)

Has anyone made the jump to a much cheaper diet and felt better - less stressed, happier, healthier - because of it?? Would love to hear your experiences
The Japanese have a saying that all that's needed for happiness is white rice and sunshine. I don't know about that, but you could do it on alternate days and cut your food bill almost in half.

frannybananny

Second the potatoes my dude. Cheap, long storage, super tasty, and decent protein.
I love potatoes! The problem I am finding these days is that almost all potatoes, like those in the bulk sacks, are GMO. They don't taste the same and turn into a weird mushy kind of texture when boiled. Be sure to make the effort and go to the organic food section of your store and buy organic potatoes...more $$ so that contraindicates a cheap diet but better for you.

akgrrrl

WHICH rice?
Red Cargo rice from Thailand high protein
Black "Forbidden" rice from China, 3 varieties, zero gluten, high protein, high antioxidants
Golden Rice, from heirloom strains in India, proudly display zero pesticides or fertilizers at their farms/village gateways
Thai Jasmine White rice, favorite national product, fragrant and tasty
Calrose and other Calif brands, white. GMO, pesticide and fertilized for sure, with broad spectrum and questionable chems. Bland but foolproof cooking. Irrigated with questionable water sources.
Brown rice, Lundgren family farms in the usa, old standby for use in cold rice salads and toss recipes for its firmness

BrianF

Well cooked potatoes over white rice any day of the week. They have far more nutrition, douse in a little milk, butter and salt and as Peat says, you can live on them for months. Obviously you wouldn't want to if you could add in some other foods but its good to know that you could.

I'd follow on a plate of potatoes with a glass of OJ as I read on these forums years ago that it significantly reduces endotoxin.

Breakfast - Milk with one raw egg, some salt and sugar mixed into an eggnog cocktail

1 Litre of milk before lunch.

Lunch - Ground beef (maybe with cooked with some onions and/or mushrooms) and cheese

1 litre of milk after lunch

Evening Meal - Potatoes with butter - and Orange Juice

Late night snack optional

In the UK, I could do that for less than £7 per day. decent quality food.

Smitty

I would like to incorporate more quesadillas into my diet, but I haven't had much luck finding block cheese that doesn't have "vegetarian enzymes."

Can use honey or jam with the cottage cheese for flavor.

Grana Padano and Parmigiano Reggiano most reliably have no added enzymes. Superstore and Costco are good sources – at least here in Canada. My issue is finding cottage cheese without carrageenan or guar gum.

Dr. B

He also says that he's allergic to them (STKIM).
whats STKIM stand for

Grana Padano and Parmigiano Reggiano most reliably have no added enzymes. Superstore and Costco are good sources – at least here in Canada. My issue is finding cottage cheese without carrageenan or guar gum.

daisys has cottage cheese with just salt in the ingredients... i cant remember maybe they add some vinegar too, but i feel the ingredients may have just said cream, milk and salt. it was like 4g fat and 13g protein a serving.
how do you eat those cheeses? parmigiano reggiano is so strongly flavored you cant eat the stuff plain like you can eat a mozzerella cheese stick... parmigiano reggiano is like a spice more than a cheese its something you can sprinkle on pasta or pizza or meat or potatoes... its a very small overall amount of calories and protein.. unless people are somehow eating it plain or using some method to eat more

amd

Something to keep in mind = post doesn't deny or is against any previous post, just an addition

youngsinatra

Monster Mash alà Stan Efferding is delicious as hell.

Basmati rice, lean ground beef, low-FODMAP vegetables, collagen/bone broth, salt and a glass of fresh OJ.

In my experience, rice is an option but after a few minutes I feel like I have a sugar crash. Potatoes makes me bloated and disrupts digestion. Gluten makes me mentally slow.
The solution is masa harina or premium corn flour. You can mix it with milk or add it on your plate with some ground beef.
If I am very hungry I work at best in the evening with ground beef (for glycine mostly), tortillas made with corn flour, mushrooms, and feta cheese. And if you get thirsty try some orange juice.

Sefton10

In my experience, rice is an option but after a few minutes I feel like I have a sugar crash. Potatoes makes me bloated and disrupts digestion. Gluten makes me mentally slow.
The solution is masa harina or premium corn flour. You can mix it with milk or add it on your plate with some ground beef.
If I am very hungry I work at best in the evening with ground beef (for glycine mostly), tortillas made with corn flour, mushrooms, and feta cheese. And if you get thirsty try some orange juice.
I get the same with masa too. I love a big filling bolus of starch (oat porridge was my staple for years), but they all ultimately lead to the same result - massive hunger and blood sugar crash after an hour or so with bloating. Just not worth it no matter how I try and do it.

Dr. B

Something to keep in mind = post doesn't deny or is against any previous post, just an addition
ive seen him say things like potatoes and coconut oil can be allergenic for many people...
theres other things he said were also allergenic, cant remember what
sometimes hes said it sarcastically, like the allergenicity of propylene glycol decreases as the profitability rises
i didnt know he was personally allergic to potatoes
i think by allergenic he means they still cause some level of inflammation
soy, corn, gluten, peanuts etc are some of the 8 major allergens, but they still cause some level of inflammation even in people not allergic

dukesbobby777

If you’re employed and you actually work most days, rice and/or potatoes will still be a problem as I presume you aren’t cooking those things ‘on the move’ as you go through your day.

You can buy pre-made mashed potato and rice precooked in packets (to be microwaved), but then the cost starts to become a problem again. You get charged extra for the convenience factor. Plus, do you work in an environment where you can microwave things. Not everyone does.

Or you can just precook them the night before and eat them cold the next day. See how you get on with resistant starch. Which we’re told is bad around here.

I think dates are a good shout if you can tolerate them. Personally I can’t. I get massive endotoxin reactions from the fibres in them.

Dr. B

If you’re employed and you actually work most days, rice and/or potatoes will still be a problem as I presume you aren’t cooking those things ‘on the move’ as you go through your day.

You can buy pre-made mashed potato and rice precooked in packets (to be microwaved), but then the cost starts to become a problem again. You get charged extra for the convenience factor. Plus, do you work in an environment where you can microwave things. Not everyone does.

Or you can just precook them the night before and eat them cold the next day. See how you get on with resistant starch. Which we’re told is bad around here.

I think dates are a good shout if you can tolerate them. Personally I can’t. I get massive endotoxin reactions from the fibres in them.
why dates
what about dried fruit, mango pineapples etc
isnt microwaving dangerous, risky, bad etc

Jam

FYI, real Parmigiano Reggiano by law can contain no additives or preservatives. Grana Padano is junk, and normally contains preservatives and occasionally other junk.

dukesbobby777

why dates
what about dried fruit, mango pineapples etc
isnt microwaving dangerous, risky, bad etc

Dates are high in calories. The goal on a low budget diet isn’t just nutrition quality. Falling short on calories is going to cause big problems on a metabolically enhancing (PUFA depletion) dietary approach. Yes, dried fruits (if tolerated) should be decent in calories as well (if tolerated).

I don’t know. I think Peat has perhaps commented on microwaving foods a few times (when questioned), but I don’t remember what he said about it.

Dr. B

FYI, real Parmigiano Reggiano by law can contain no additives or preservatives. Grana Padano is junk, and normally contains preservatives and occasionally other junk.
but how are people eating that stuff mate it's more like a spice than a cheese
a mozzerella stick you can bite and eat a ton of, chunks of it
reggiano you have to sprinkle on pasta or potatoes or meat...

Jam

I eat 50g chunks of it at a time dipped in honey, but hey I'm Italian ;)

dukesbobby777

I can eat a whole block of it over the course of a day. It’s not my favourite cheese, but I have it occasionally. I do start to tire of it after munching down to the rind lol (the taste becomes a bit boring). But you can dip it in marmalade or something to make it more interesting.

Or if you don’t mind getting fat, have it with pasta or on a pizza. Then it becomes very interesting.

OP
OccamzRazer

OccamzRazer

Thank you all for your ideas! Didn't expect so many responses :):

I forgot to mention potatoes in the original post - I'd definitely include those too. Also forgot to mention bone broth. Soup bones are very cheap here, so I'd be getting plenty of good glycine thru those.

Currently leaning towards trying out this radically cheaper diet. I could continue spending $200/week on food, but have a gut feeling that my health will actually be better on the cheaper diet, since more funds will be available to set up an improved living environment (i.e, farm).

Thanks again!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals