SIBO and Candida

Thomas

Hi guys,
I need help and some info concerning SIBO and Candida related problems. The Ray Peat diet advocates sugar. This in a way freaks me out, thinking that I give food to the bacteria. I was eating extremly low carb but I see the point that I have to give my body power getting him back into strenght to deal with the critters. If the MD is doing a breath test for SIBO they give you a sugar drink, after that they start counting the bacteria. They multiply every 20 minutes and are after some hours up to the millions. I wonder what is going to happen to me if I drink coke, have my sugar, drink milk etc. Will they not multiply to the trillions every day? Has anyone here SIBO and run the diet? Please contact me and help me out how to saddle the horse!
I am now two days on the diet and had terrible stomach pains in the morning and for the first time ever I had such constipation that I nearly got panic. I had to go to work and was sitting on the toilet in pain not getting the sh......t out! :eek:
What can I do to test if cheese and milk are the offenders för me? Has anyone here managed the diet while being milk intolerant?

Then I wonder is someone here who has knowleadge about allergies and intollerances. Has R. Peat talked about it? My mother told me that I have been milk intollerant as a kid and was raised on soja milk. I did a ELISA test and it shows green light for milk but not for whey. Whey is totally in the red as highly reactive. (Here is an explaination what whey is: Whey protein is a mixture of globular proteins isolated from whey, the liquid material created as a by-product of cheese production. )

Anyhow, in the morning I had milk and OJ and some Brie cheese. Driving to work I thought I crippled myself with the food. I got a ballon stomach full with trapped air. It was terrible. At work I could not stand up straight and was sitting for 20 minutes on the toilet. I considered first going home but sticked it out until lunch and then I got do my bussiness. ;-)

I love to test and continue Peats diet. Its sound logical to me and I trust him despite my worries but I would like to know and learn more. At the same time I would like to talk more to people who too have SIBO or are milk allergic/sensitiv and how they tackle the diet. Any ideas how to run the diet without milk products?

yours
thomas

Hey Thomas

I've been struggling with very simular issues for a while now.

My take on it through Peat's work is a good running metabolism shouldn't allow for bacterial overgrowth/candida issues. Are you taking thyroid yet? You may need to implement a course of antibiotics (even just encapsulated peppermint) in addition to the other supplementation. Ray recommends the carrot salad and I find great relief from this.

As for the dairy, my opinion on the matter is to just work through it. What I mean by this is I once thought that dairy was a big intolerance of mine but after introducing it slowly and continuing to incorporate it into my diet I don't have any bloating or thrush. Find a good source of healthy milk at whatever degree of pasteurization suits you. If you really can't do dairy, bone broth and powdered egg shell are good sources of calcium!

Cheers

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
What can I do to test if cheese and milk are the offenders för me? Has anyone here managed the diet while being milk intolerant?

Start slow if you have not been drinking milk before. It can take a couple weeks for the enzymes you need to digest milk are able to get going.

Then I wonder is someone here who has knowleadge about allergies and intollerances. Has R. Peat talked about it? My mother told me that I have been milk intollerant as a kid and was raised on soja milk. I did a ELISA test and it shows green light for milk but not for whey. Whey is totally in the red as highly reactive. (Here is an explaination what whey is: Whey protein is a mixture of globular proteins isolated from whey, the liquid material created as a by-product of cheese production. )

Allergies and intolerances are signs of hypothyroidism aka low metabolic rate. You could make some home made cheese to help get you started with dealing with dairy. The home made cheese will get most of the whey out.

Anyhow, in the morning I had milk and OJ and some Brie cheese. Driving to work I thought I crippled myself with the food. I got a ballon stomach full with trapped air. It was terrible. At work I could not stand up straight and was sitting for 20 minutes on the toilet. I considered first going home but sticked it out until lunch and then I got do my bussiness. ;-)

I for one am one to jump into things hard and fast. But if your body isn't use to processing all this new cheese, and milk, and OJ it can really cause a stress on the body. Again, take things slow and work up to them. I had problems with milk, and had to start on home made cheese. That was the ticket into dairy land for me.

For your SIBO. I would stay away from starches, and make sure you are getting your carrot salad every day. Again, start slow with carrot salad because it does cause me some constipation if I take too much.

Keep reading into Ray Peats work. Chart your temps and pulse to get a view of where you metabolism is. And if necessary, start introducing the correct supplements along with good diet to raise metabolism.

Yves

If you have sibo, almost nothing will be safe to eat. I would avoid lactose; if you had trouble with it as a kid, you're unlikely to be able to eat it now. Lactase enzymes are the last enzymes to come back. Drinking milk for people whom it is inappropriate is probably the biggest pitfall of Peat's dietary recommendations in my opinion. It took me nearly 2 years of trial and error to accept that, my health is much better without milk and minimal dairy.

OP
T

Thomas

Hi guys!
thank you all for your help. The wirred thing with the milk is that I have lactase, it has been tested. And in the ELISA test I am not showing any reaction for IgA and IgG. From that I should be able to eat and drink it. I am too exploring the possibilty of having histaminosis. I noticed when I had milk, parmesan cheese the kind RP suggested, tuna fish, jello made out of OJ and sugarwater, gelantine. I got terrible itchy eyes today, like I would have sand in them and a terrible reactal itching. Little stomach pain, not like yesterday. But today I didnt have any cheese or dark chocolate.

I am going to steam on with the diet. Has R.P. said or written anything about Histaminosis and how to heal it or why a person can suffer it. Histaminosis what I read should be just the thing on his field of science?!

all the best
yours
Thomas

jyb

Yves said:
If you have sibo, almost nothing will be safe to eat. I would avoid lactose; if you had trouble with it as a kid, you're unlikely to be able to eat it now. Lactase enzymes are the last enzymes to come back. Drinking milk for people whom it is inappropriate is probably the biggest pitfall of Peat's dietary recommendations in my opinion. It took me nearly 2 years of trial and error to accept that, my health is much better without milk and minimal dairy.

Yves, just read your blog article on low neutrophil / low copper absorption: if the low count is really due to copper absorption, would sublingual copper work? viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1399&p=15195&hilit=glycinate#p15195

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
SIBO=Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth

jyb

Jenn, what is your background - medical professional or self-taught? Your posts are sometimes quite informative.

Jenn

jyb said:
Jenn, what is your background - medical professional or self-taught? Your posts are sometimes quite informative.

And other times full of crap, right? ;) :lol:

I work/ed with a nutritionist who understands Peat (he's my translator ;) ) for my own issues and went to a lot of classes. I also have friends who have different issues, so have been able to pick their brains for what works for them. Everyone's a little different, though families tend to have similar issues.

OP
T

Thomas

Jenn said:
jyb said:

And other times full of crap, right? ;) :lol:

I work/ed with a nutritionist who understands Peat (he's my translator ;) ) for my own issues and went to a lot of classes. I also have friends who have different issues, so have been able to pick their brains for what works for them. Everyone's a little different, though families tend to have similar issues.

Do you know if Ray has said something how to tackle histaminosis? Or anything he wrote or said about small intesine bacterial overgrowth?

thanks
Thomas

jaa

Jenn said:
Candida, yeasts, bad bacteria etc are all ultimately a liver issue. Feed the liver and it controls everything else.

Could you give some tips on how to specifically target the liver?

Do you think boozing a couple nights a month will undo any steps in the positive direction? What about eating marijuana? lsd? psilocybin?

Jenn

The liver likes minerals, potassium especially, glucose and protein, especially sulfur based protein...like gelatin. Potatoes are the best for getting salt and potassium in the diet and providing good quality protein with good energy. Avoid dairy if it doesn't agree with you...for now. I couldn't digest it for quite a while...and I had access to premium forage fed goat and cow milk from my back yard. Start simple. We lived on french fries for MONTHS.

http://losingcreekfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... gf-df.html
http://losingcreekfarm.blogspot.com/p/t ... -page.html

MY liver could not handle any of those other substances. I can't speak for yours, but they would be extra work for the liver to do.

jaa

Thanks Jenn! Not only for this post, but for many of your other informative posts that I have not commented on, but learned something from.

Mittir

Thomas said:
Hi guys!
thank you all for your help. The wirred thing with the milk is that I have lactase, it has been tested. And in the ELISA test I am not showing any reaction for IgA and IgG. From that I should be able to eat and drink it. I am too exploring the possibilty of having histaminosis. I noticed when I had milk, parmesan cheese the kind RP suggested, tuna fish, jello made out of OJ and sugarwater, gelantine. I got terrible itchy eyes today, like I would have sand in them and a terrible reactal itching. Little stomach pain, not like yesterday. But today I didnt have any cheese or dark chocolate.

I am going to steam on with the diet. Has R.P. said or written anything about Histaminosis and how to heal it or why a person can suffer it. Histaminosis what I read should be just the thing on his field of science?!

all the best
yours
Thomas
RP has written about histamine excess in this article .
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/se ... sion.shtml
Excess estrogen and serotonin are directly involved in histamine intolerance. Digestion problem increases both serotonin and estrogen. Good liver, thyroid and progesterone counteract against surge of estrogen.