Shrimp's Peat Log- Thyroid, Anxiety And Acne Issues, Oh My!

Beebop

Re: Shrimp's Peat log- thyroid, anxiety and acne issues, oh

:) Thanks!

OP
S

Shrimp

Beebop said:
Hey Shrimp, I've been experimenting with ways of not letting myself get hypoglycaemia. I find keeping some cheese with me at work as well as juice, milk, fruit, coffee with gelatin etc has really worked. If you're sipping OJ and have 6 hours to go, and that's all you can eat, then maybe add LOADS of sugar. Helps me!
Hey Beebop, thanks for the suggestion! I've never though to add sugar to the OJ, but that sounds like it would help some. I'll give it a try!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Beebop said:
If you're sipping OJ and have 6 hours to go, and that's all you can eat, then maybe add LOADS of sugar. Helps me!

Hmmm, I think I misread that. Was that what you meant to say, Beebop?

I don't know how I got this. :crazy: But I construed it as meaning you are sipping OJ all day and thats a ton of sugar and with no protein to balance it.

edit: Shrimp, your avatar is way cool! :rockout

Beebop

I think I meant both. Ideally add cheese or some other protein. But also, add extra sugar into your drink - I've found that helpful if there is absolutely no other option. Coffee with gelatin would of course be better.

In my bag I will take with me:
a) cheese and hard boiled egg
b) fruit
c) bottle with OJ sugar and salt
d) thermos with coffee, CO, gelatin, milk, sugar, salt (three cupfuls). I make 'work' coffee with milk only, no water.

Doesn't take much time to prepare!

I know protein always needs to be eaten with sugar, but I didn't realise sugar always needs protein, (If I've given bad advice after all - then sorry!)

J

j.

Beebop said:
I know protein always needs to be eaten with sugar, but I didn't realise sugar always needs protein, (If I've given bad advice after all - then sorry!)

I think it's more important the other way around, that protein is accompanied by something sweet. I also haven't heard that it's important to always have protein with carbs.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Protein lowers blood sugar, carbs or sweets/sugars raise blood sugar. When blood sugar is too high your body sends in stress hormones to deal with it and bring it down. Thats why you want to try and balance it out. When blood sugar is too low from protein, besides feeling bad, you body has a stress reaction to try and bring it back up.

Ray Peat has said OJ should be OK by itself because the potassium in the OJ does something with the insulin. But I am not quite sure how that works.

J

j.

Charlie said:
Protein lowers blood sugar, carbs or sweets/sugars raise blood sugar. When blood sugar is too high your body sends in stress hormones to deal with it and bring it down. Thats why you want to try and balance it out. When blood sugar is too low from protein, besides feeling bad, you body has a stress reaction to try and bring it back up.

Ray Peat has said OJ should be OK by itself because the potassium in the OJ does something with the insulin. But I am not quite sure how that works.

I speculate that it's possible that sugar would go down just because you haven't eaten for, say, one or two hours, and that carbs could replenish your glycogen stores without getting your blood sugar too high.

OP
S

Shrimp

Charlie said:
edit: Shrimp, your avatar is way cool! :rockout
Thanks! A friend drew it for me. :)

----------
Had kind of a crappy day at work today. I drank coffee (with sugar, cream, gelatin) with my lunch, and I really think I can't handle it for whatever reason. About an hour later I got really anxious, shaky and felt like I was going to have a panic attack. I think the fact that my workplace was hot didn't help, either. My tolerance for heat is so bad right now, it definitely exacerbates my anxiety. The feeling came in waves and after I basically told myself I wasn't going to panic and that it would pass, it did over time.

I don't know what I'm going to do when it gets hot and humid outside again. I feel too feeble to handle it right now. :/ I try to drink salted water and OJ to stay hydrated but that just makes me crave plain water.

jyb

@Shrimp: did you take enough sugar? Also, did you take the drink on empty stores?

OP
S

Shrimp

jyb said:
@Shrimp: did you take enough sugar? Also, did you take the drink on empty stores?
Hi jyb,
I drank the coffee with three spoonfuls of sugar in it, along with the cream and gelatin, and with a meal of steak and potato. No idea why I can't handle it. :?

@Jenn: Thanks for the suggestion! Do you mean a mineral water like San Pellegrino? I have been just salting things to taste lately; I can't stomach the large amounts that some people on the forums supplement with. I just hope that I'm using enough, I don't really crave it.

Birdie

That sounds right, Shrimp. Ray says that not everyone needs to supp salt and to just salt to taste. I use lots, but I'm high estrogen.

Hope your anxiety is going better. I'll have to read more of your log to know what you're talking about there.

OP
S

Shrimp

Thanks, Birdie! The anxiety is unfortunately persistent, but I'm sure it will get better eventually. Progesterone seems to help some.

------
Couple of quick notes for the log:

For some reason, whenever I take Progest-E orally, I get a swollen/scratchy throat soon after. It is tolerable, but odd.

My temp shoots up when I play video games; up to 99.5 last night. Normally I'm around 97.8-98.0. I also noticed my temp increase when I had a bit of an emotional meltdown the other day. Both times, my hands and feet were warm, and I didn't feel particularly anxious. Rather, I felt more..."normal"? I wonder if it has something to do with cortisol/adrenaline levels. I thought it could be a stress response, but if that were the case, then why do my extremities warm up when it happens? Part of me wonders if I need some sort of adrenal support, even though it seems that the Peat wisdom on the matter is that adrenal issues are secondary to thyroid ones. This is confusing. :/

Discovered Haagen Dazs Cherry Vanilla. SO GOOD. I haven't been eating dairy because of acne, but it seems like I break out no matter what, so some ice cream nightly probably isn't going to make things much worse.

I think I might need to eat more. I feel like I'm always hungry, despite eating decent meals and snacking. I can't get full without meat and starch. I can't seem to gain weight, either; I've always been tiny, which is why doctors didn't find that I was hypo for far too long. I'm always burping a LOT after I eat, so maybe I'm not absorbing things as well as I could be. My doctor wants me to try digestive enzymes, but I tried them a long time ago and they did nothing.

jyb

I think the scratchy throat is merely due to the viscous nature of the fluid. I would get the same if I ate it, same for vitamin E capsules. Why don't you spread it on your lips? RP says it gets absorbed very fast that way.

Birdie

Hi Shrimp - I use the progest-E on my lips but to get enough most goes into the mouth/gums. It does irritate my throat and I hear a lot of people react this way. What helps me is taking a pinch of salt afterwards. Also, a little warm tea afterwards has helped. Some people use oj. I'm taking 4 drops every hour or so without irritation. Hope that helps you too.

Birdie

I noticed you mentioned Cherry Vanilla H-D but have you checked the ingredients. As I recall, most H-D flavours have some unwanted extra ingredients in them. You want to check those labels. I buy vanilla and coffee H-D. The chocolate was safe too.

Have you checked Danny Roddy's site for Ray's advice on acne? I had a first time outbreak on my back before starting Peat. It took time, but adding a lot of vit A cleared mine up. Or, I think that's what did it. After following this diet, it took about 5 months to clear, but didn't happen until I took the advice to add a lot of A. Now I've been able to cut back without a return of acne.

I need to eat meat with my eggs at breakfast or else I get hungry. I just stick to ruminant animals, mainly beef. My husband doesn't like the smell of lamb cooking so we eat that out. I have more energy and less hunger when I include meat at lunch too. The rest of the day I eat cheese for protein.

Cliff said once that ice cream is not a high protein food. That woke me up. I don't think it's a smart choice of food but just good for dessert once in a while. It's high fat which Ray doesn't really recommend. I think it's better to have more protein. Not low fat probably since you get hungry so easily. But if you get enough protein and fat it could help with hunger and panic attacks. Starch will set you up for hunger about an hour later. I've had to really cut back on starch and feel better although I miss it sometimes!

Just a few ideas since I'm in the mood to talk. Good luck. :)

OP
S

Shrimp

Per your suggestions, I tried taking the Progest-E on my gums/lips instead of in my mouth and it does seem to help with the irritation.

Birdie, thanks again for the ideas/suggestions! HD Cherry Vanilla looks safe, just has some fruit juices in it, still real sugar and not HFCS like some of the others. I'll check out Danny Roddy's acne suggestions. I somewhat recently had my serum A levels tested and they were low, so I know I need it but I don't want to take too much. I don't know if I could cut out starch without starving since I eat a lot of potatoes, but I'll look into it. :D

------
Saw my NP today. Got some labs back:

Free T3: 2.47 (2.30-4.20)
Free T4: 0.90 (0.71-1.42)
TSH: 0.76 (0.35-4.50)

Estradiol: 135.9 (55.8-214.2)
FSH: 2.7 (1.5-9.1)
LH: 4.64 (0.5-16.9)
Progesterone: 11.24 (3.34-25.56)
Prolactin: 27.0 (2.8-29.2)
ACTH: 29 (6-50)

Magnesium: 4.5 (4.0-6.4)

She told me to increase my NDT by 15mg (to 75mg/day); she'd do more but she's afraid of further suppressing my TSH. She also told me to go from 25mg Progest-E on days 14-28 to 36mg; she doesn't want to go too high because she said it might throw off my estrogen levels? Also said Magnesium was kind of low so I'm still supplementing with mag oil for now. She wants me to try an adrenal complex and inositol or GABA for anxiety, I don't know if I will or not though. The anxiety is still significantly interfering with my life...

Additionally, she wants me to send her a food diary with three days worth of food. I know that if I told her I barely eat any grains, vegetables, beans etc. she'd try to get me to eat them or say that my diet is the problem. I don't know if I should just lie.

I asked her about testing serotonin and she seemed to think she could only do a urine test for it, but I think I found a blood test I can get done to see if that might be having something to do with my anxiety levels being out of control.

Birdie

Shrimp,
Hi, if it were me, I'd look into that Prolactin level. It's within the lab normals, but on the high end. Might be something there to help you. :)

tomisonbottom

Hi Shrimp. With all respect to your doctor I would not listen to her telling you can take too much progesterone. Read more up on that. The only side effects are euphoria and sleepiness and possible losing your period. But if you have acne and anxiety I would consider those more important than getting your period. A big part of eating ray peat style is to get rid of excess estrogen which causes anxiety, inflammation, digestion issues, etc. Just takes loads of progesterone. It's amazing stuff. Some people, myself included take hundreds of mg of progesterone a day. Also I would take more vitamin A. Peat said he used to take 100,000 iu',s a day to prevent acne and ingrown hairs before he discovered thyroid. There's some other info on high dose vitamin a on here. You probably need to take more vitamin A.

Dutchie

I have weird anxiety,lethargic&depression issues too,dunno about the serotonin and never read much about it though i havent eaten (muscle)meat in a while,i wonder if all the ripe banana/plantain migth still cause too much tryptophan as its virtually the only fruit i can eat due to the recommended fruits being too high in free fructose. Or that it is bc of my own dietary&life&exercise issues. I only know its been quite a while since i felt happy/euphoric....and the thing of it all is that once i do,i feel anxious also that 'im feeling too good and ***t is about to go wrong' and its as if i do this unconsciously,i mellow up and do something to throw myself in the shithole again. I wonder if ill ever get out of this ***t anymore and finally get the life im drraming of and enjoy it without anxiety,fear of ***t going wrong,'happy'not being meant to be for me etc. I dont know about you,but lots of people recommend meditation and such to me but i find it actually makes. Me more anxious.

Could all the daily bananas still be too much tryptophan and from what i get a precursor of serotonin? I know a therapist years ago told me i was permanently low in serotonin and should stick to antidipressants for rest of my life.(she was a therapist who treated. more of my familymembers so she said it was just a genetic family heritage). Took the ad a couple of months back then,at first i. Felt euphoric never experienced something like that before,but i soon experienced all these moodswings and decided to stop,despite her trying to scare me with the repercussions.

As far as the vit.e,its really shitty that all these sups contain bad oils.(maybe i should start a brand that sells them with co,get rich and finally be able to move to my desired beachlife;)) theres one brand over here that sells it with olive oil which i always try to buy,but its also expensive. Anyway,i rub mine on the inside of my arm near my pulse. You could also rub it under your feet. These are all places of easy and quick absorption

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals