Shrimp And Selenium

Eating shimp I must to get more selenium. More shrimp, more selenium.
Why, then, if I usually am eating shrimp [in a weekly basis], my selenium is falling down?
What is the metabolic explanation for that logic contradiction? In what circunstances that phenomenon may happens?

CDT

Try getting selenium from plant sources and see if it makes a difference. Brazil nuts, nuts in general , and maybe from a plant based supplement? Perhaps your selenium transcription factor is effected, like those who suffer from anemia. Is there a way to get your selenium levels checked?

Amazoniac

The selenium content of foods can be unreliable. Check this out:
- Mega Dosing Iodine = Bad, Destroys Thyroid Tissue Permanently (what a coincidence!)

Regarding shrimps, what's the highest content that you've ever come across? Let's say 400 mcg/100 g* (but can be quite low such as 15-40 mcg/100 g), giving you about 55 mcg/d. Other foods are providing some, however I assume this is your major source, yet a reasonable amount during stress is 100 mcg or more. Depending on the form, you can go much higher than this without problems (such as selenocysteine from animal foods).

*Distribution of trace elements in tissues of shrimp species Litopenaeus vannamei (Boone, 1931) from Bahia, Brazil (ignoring dry weight, and apparently they're more watery than ourselves: 75% of body weight)​

Why not trying a supplement to know if it was missing? It's safe, cheap, and no need to keep taking it.

Last edited:

Dave Clark

Dr. Marc Sircus talks a lot about a product called Tung Oil, which is a lipid based seleniumAir, Water, Food & Cancer. Scroll down on the link to his video where he talks about it. I have never tried it, but he claims to have taken mega doses of it without toxicity. If I recall, it is a similar type that was used medically by injection, or IV. Has anyone here tried it, probably not, he says it is about $100/bottle.

ShotTrue

Wouldn't selenium potentially lower estrogen too much? I've heard you should take more than a few hundred mcg

OP
gilson d dantas
Try getting selenium from plant sources and see if it makes a difference. Brazil nuts, nuts in general , and maybe from a plant based supplement? Perhaps your selenium transcription factor is effected, like those who suffer from anemia. Is there a way to get your selenium levels checked?
Selenium levels: blood tests. Normal range is 63-160 mcg/L. My status is 63. Brazil nuts, nuts in general are rich on PUFAS; I want to avoid PUFAs. I´m using now a supplement. But I would like to know why shrimp does n´t give me selenium, that´s the point.

OP
gilson d dantas
The selenium content of foods can be unreliable.
OK, and it is ok that selenium on shrimp may be variable. But the point is: why I eat shrimp [that must have someone, like 40 mcg or more/100 g] and my selenium goes down?? What is the logic of to eat shrimp and selenium fall down??? Still the question...

Dave Clark

Interesting, I just heard a podcast with Dr.Peat, or maybe I read it, not sure, but he said 'there is no such thing as too low of estrogen because a stressed cell will produce estrogen'. Notice I didn't put it in quotes because I do not remember his exact words, but that is pretty much what he was saying. If I can find it I will post it, but maybe someone could verify it with Dr. Peat.