Shrimp And Selenium

ShotTrue

Interesting, I just heard a podcast with Dr.Peat, or maybe I read it, not sure, but he said 'there is no such thing as too low of estrogen because a stressed cell will produce estrogen'. Notice I didn't put it in quotes because I do not remember his exact words, but that is pretty much what he was saying. If I can find it I will post it, but maybe someone could verify it with Dr. Peat.
I'd like concrete evidence that lowering estrogen to zero or single digits is beneficial. A lot of things that lower estrogen also lower progesterone so it is hard to say just from experience, however are we then saying women should have zero estrogen? They wouldn't have breasts or feminine voices

ShotTrue

We live on a estrogenic world, we are, almost of us, estrogenizated people; so many people are with estrogen dominance; so, estrogen is our aim, usually, if you undestand me.
I understand, my normal estrogen levels are around 18 and never suffered from estrogen dominance, however any drug or supp like high dose k or D that took me to 14 or lower I started having problems. Sure, if you have estrogen dominance I would lower it

Amazoniac

Blood tests. Normal range is 63-160 mcg/L. My status is 63.
- Cautionary Tale / Eat Selenium (image at the end; units are increased in proportion)
OK, and it is ok that selenium on shrimp may be variable. But the point is: why I eat shrimp [that must have someone, like 40 mcg or more/100 g] and my selenium goes down?? What is the logic of to eat shrimp and selenium fall down??? Still the question...
Yes, ok, I began to use it. But still that question: why selenium goes down WHEN I eat shrimp??
Very good. The study shows that serum selenium increases with shrimp consumption. Not to much, but anyway increases.
They consumed 90 mcg/d for 6 days and barely changed their blood levels. I don't expect consumption once or twice a week (with the possibility that they might provide less than that) to have a significant impact unless the person is bordering the line deficient. It was likely something else such as typhoid hormones or vitamin E..

OP
gilson d dantas
I don't expect consumption once or twice a week (with the possibility that they might provide less than that) to have a significant impact unless the person is bordering the line deficient.
Amazoniac, your explanation was very very good.
But the questions still: we cannot expect a "significant impact", OK, but why Selenium falls down when a use shrimp? I also don´t expect falls down...

Amazoniac

Amazoniac, your explanation was very very good.
But the questions still: we cannot expect a "significant impact", OK, but why Selenium falls down when a use shrimp? I also don´t expect falls down...
Maybe the shrimps are associated with something else that uses up your selenium, such as always eating these meals after buying them at a store that's only practical visit when your routine is different (and more stressful), or the meals are served at your girlfriend's relative house that you happen to hate (but she insists for you to go), or you only remember to eat them when trying to compensate for not feeling best, or there's a lake of full of.. crocodiles that you have to cross to reach the store, and so on.

OP
gilson d dantas
Maybe the shrimps are associated with something else that uses up your selenium, such as always eating these meals after buying them at a store that's only practical visit when your routine is different (and more stressful), or the meals are served at your girlfriend's relative house that you happen to hate (but she insists for you to go), or you only remember to eat them when trying to compensate for not feeling best, or there's a lake of full of.. crocodiles that you have to cross to reach the store, and so on.
Não achei graça nenhuma, Amazoniac; which means: Amazoniac, I did not find it funny, except if you have any kind of experience like that with your girlfriend, with crocodiles or stuff like that...
I asked a objective question, I hope objective answers... That´is all. If you see conexion bewtween crocodiles and selenium, OK, it is up to you this kind of thoughts, My friend.

J

jb116

Yes. And that happens after eat shrimp every week [1-2 times week]
I see what you're saying. IMO I don't think you have an issue. One must consider the source of shrimp and the selenium available therein, the frequency,
your body's use of it, and finally other sources of selenium or lack thereof.

Amazoniac

Não achei graça nenhuma, Amazoniac; which means: Amazoniac, I did not find it funny, except if you have any kind of experience like that with your girlfriend, with crocodiles or stuff like that...
I asked a objective question, I hope objective answers... That´is all. If you see conexion bewtween crocodiles and selenium, OK, it is up to you this kind of thoughts, My friend.
That's fine, but the main point was to encourage questioning what else could be associated with its consumption to explain the effect. I mean, if it's not typhoid hormones, vitamin E, or other distinct causes, and you insist that it's due to the shrimps, I would consider indigestion or preservatives.

D

danishispsychic

Very good. The study shows that serum selenium increases with shrimp consumption. Not to much, but anyway increases.
i think if i read it right, it says that the selenium from shrimp can linger in tissues ? maybe it is just not showing up correctly in your blood tests?

Amazoniac

i think if i read it right, it says that the selenium from shrimp can linger in tissues ? maybe it is just not showing up correctly in your blood tests?
This could explain a lack of response, but I guess not the decrease.

Another possibility is imprecise tests, giving the impression that the level has lower'd since the last one.

managing

Are you saying it went down with shrimp consumption? You've only given us one number. What if you were at 30 before having shrimp?

OP
gilson d dantas
I see what you're saying. IMO I don't think you have an issue. One must consider the source of shrimp and the selenium available therein, the frequency,
your body's use of it, and finally other sources of selenium or lack thereof.
Yes. Probably it is an issue: why would someone eat shrimp and the serum selenium drops? It is not what is expected to happen. Or is it?
I never thought the shrimp was the explanation. Probably something is happening in the body that explains that. Iwould like to undestand that. Physiologically, of course.
I said many times the question: selenium has fallen with shrimp consumption; the selenium was 84 [21/4], and eating shrimp every week, drop to 63 [10/5] and then to 58 [20/5]. For the lab the normal is 63 to 160. I was eating shrimp 1-2 times by week. Lets put the same question this way: may be some supplement I used everyday [aspirin, cynomel, Progest-E]? I don´t thin so; OK, may be some bigger absortion/demand of selenium by the tissues [as danishispsychic imagines]? There must to be some objective explanation for that objective question. What elements at the body etc, can lower the selenium even if we eat shrimp? I think we have a issue, even if we can´t find the answer now.

J

jb116

Yes. Probably it is an issue: why would someone eat shrimp and the serum selenium drops? It is not what is expected to happen. Or is it?
I never thought the shrimp was the explanation. Probably something is happening in the body that explains that. Iwould like to undestand that. Physiologically, of course.
I said many times the question: selenium has fallen with shrimp consumption; the selenium was 84 [21/4], and eating shrimp every week, drop to 63 [10/5] and then to 58 [20/5]. For the lab the normal is 63 to 160. I was eating shrimp 1-2 times by week. Lets put the same question this way: may be some supplement I used everyday [aspirin, cynomel, Progest-E]? I don´t thin so; OK, may be some bigger absortion/demand of selenium by the tissues [as danishispsychic imagines]? There must to be some objective explanation for that objective question. What elements at the body etc, can lower the selenium even if we eat shrimp? I think we have a issue, even if we can´t find the answer now.
Again, several confounding factors here. Also the methodology should be considered: plasma selenium is really the best and only way to check status. Blood or serum may not be as accurate. Some where in the middle of the range indicates you're getting enough and/or covering its utilization. It is not easy to tell the selenium content of any source as soil variability is the main determining factor. One also does not quite know the physiological need and in how rapidly the selenium is utilized. Cortisol, stress, alcohol all deplete selenium while not eating sufficient seafood and organ meats keeps selenium intake low. You are looking through a narrow lens and missing the whole picture. Instead, it is better to go on physical symptoms.
One major sign is loss of resiliency or getting sick more often. Another is having poor breathing symptoms, such as asthma-like issues.
Hair loss could be a sign (but can also indicate too much selenium).
Then more obvious effects: white nail beds/loss of nail, hashimoto, thyroid nodules or low T3 with normal T4 and TSH.

achillea

Dr. Marc Sircus talks a lot about a product called Tung Oil, which is a lipid based seleniumAir, Water, Food & Cancer. Scroll down on the link to his video where he talks about it. I have never tried it, but he claims to have taken mega doses of it without toxicity. If I recall, it is a similar type that was used medically by injection, or IV. Has anyone here tried it, probably not, he says it is about $100/bottle.

I use it as a natural finish on wood, the only problem being it turns yellowish over time. Kind of like linseed oil.

J

jb116

I use it as a natural finish on wood, the only problem being it turns yellowish over time. Kind of like linseed oil.
That doesn't sound like something we should ingest. Dr. Peat talks about the seed/fish oil industry in how it used to make a good varnish because it's so reactive with oxygen.

Dave Clark

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals