Shredded coconut?

清貴杉山

Hey guys,anyone has a opinion or study talking about desiccated or the shredded coconut meat? i think can be the cheaper option to get the coconut fats plus some nutrition?!
thanks

Hey guys,anyone has a opinion or study talking about desiccated or the shredded coconut meat? i think can be the cheaper option to get the coconut fats plus some nutrition?!
thanks

Ray has said in several interviews that the coconut oil and water are good, but the meat has mold and such. Here one interview where he mentions it at the 6:58 minute mark.

thank you so much,i also listened the chicken broth part,will do some wing broth tomorrow

I gotta listen to that part now! Check out my chicken broth thread. Funny I am making wings and chicken bone broth and wings right now as well as boiling some oxtail bones too!

Attachments

• 20210912_182638.jpg
    20210912_182638.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210912_182642.jpg
    20210912_182642.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 9

清貴杉山

I gotta listen to that part now! Check out my chicken broth thread. Funny I am making wings and chicken bone broth and wings right now as well as boiling some oxtail bones too!

Looks good,unfortunately oxtail here is expesive as frick,and without reason its pure bone and cartilage,should be dirt cheap,my best options are wings and maybe necks

Looks good,unfortunately oxtail here is expesive as frick,and without reason its pure bone and cartilage,should be dirt cheap,my best options are wings and maybe necks
Oxtails are expensive here too, but considering I boil them for 4 to 6 hours I get a meal and a bunch of bone broth from making them. Then I pull the meat off the bones, because there is still so much cartilage under the meat, and that broth is still so gelatinous and very clean and clear. I like to eat the second boil cold with just a pinch of salt. It is addictively refreshing. So I get all the meat and two batches of really tasty gelatinous bone broth fromboxtails. Oxtails give three fold making them the best value. Same with wings.

yerrag

Ray has said in several interviews that the coconut oil and water are good, but the meat has mold and such. Here one interview where he mentions it at the 6:58 minute mark.

He is talking for Americans who don't have access to fresh coconuts. Coconut oil comes from mature coconuts.

I buy 3 mature coconuts each week. I cut it open, drink its juice, and peel the flesh off the inner side of the shell. I feed them to my koi.

I've eaten them also, as the grated flesh is often eaten together local desserts.

If fresh, there is no chance for mold to grow. So mold isn't an issue.

Ray also warns about allergy from its protein. That may be the case with Ray, as his culture isn't exposed to generations of eating coconut flesh. But this has never been an issue with Filipinos.

I personally think that eating chopped or shredded coconut flesh is a good way to deliver coconut oil to the colon, where it can serve as an antibiotic in a gentle way. Unlike taking virgin coconut oil, a lot of the oil doesn't get absorbed by the small intestine, so what's left is able to provide antibiotic action to the colon. However, I haven't felt anything taking it. So I can't say it helped me. But I'm not a good subject to test on, as I have no gut issues at all, so I couldn't feel the effect of taking coconut flesh.

He is talking for Americans who don't have access to fresh coconuts. Coconut oil comes from mature coconuts.

I buy 3 mature coconuts each week. I cut it open, drink its juice, and peel the flesh off the inner side of the shell. I feed them to my koi.

I've eaten them also, as the grated flesh is often eaten together local desserts.

If fresh, there is no chance for mold to grow. So mold isn't an issue.

Ray also warns about allergy from its protein. That may be the case with Ray, as his culture isn't exposed to generations of eating coconut flesh. But this has never been an issue with Filipinos.

I personally think that eating chopped or shredded coconut flesh is a good way to deliver coconut oil to the colon, where it can serve as an antibiotic in a gentle way. Unlike taking virgin coconut oil, a lot of the oil doesn't get absorbed by the small intestine, so what's left is able to provide antibiotic action to the colon. However, I haven't felt anything taking it. So I can't say it helped me. But I'm not a good subject to test on, as I have no gut issues at all, so I couldn't feel the effect of taking coconut flesh.

Fresh ones can have mold. Ray Peat says to use refined coconut oil to avoid the bits of meat in it.

Attachments

• 20210912_190703.jpg
    20210912_190703.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210912_190635.jpg
    20210912_190635.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 50
"Let’s take this a step further though. I have done a TON of research related to mold. The fact is that cold, freezing, and heat can deactivate mold spores but it does not kill them. Period. Mold will become inactive and lie dormant but they don’t die. They are also resistant to desiccation (drying out). So copra (dried coconut) is likely to harbor lots of mold spores. ..."

yerrag

Fresh ones can have mold. Ray Peat says to use refined coconut oil to avoid the bits of meat in it.
If you let it out for long, mold will certainly grow.

But I think that unless you live like us, you will be OCD about it.

清貴杉山

If you let it out for long, mold will certainly grow.

But I think that unless you live like us, you will be OCD about it.
i literally see 0 issues with fresh coconut meat and im a bit jealouse rn ngl,want to try that

Unfortunately the food chain in America is not reliable like picking a coconut fresh. They don't grow naturally here so they are picked and stored too long. Like pears can picked and refrigerated as long as a year before it reaches the grocery store! Nut milks here are made with inferior nuts and known for having mold.

清貴杉山

Unfortunately the food chain in America is not reliable like picking a coconut fresh. They don't grow naturally here so they are picked and stored too long. Like pears can picked and refrigerated as long as a year before it reaches the grocery store! Nut milks here are made with inferior nuts and known for having mold.

i assume you are pretty well know with ray peat info,you know if he likes canned fruit?for moments like winter lets say that you can get fresh riped fruit

i assume you are pretty well know with ray peat info,you know if he likes canned fruit?for moments like winter lets say that you can get fresh riped fruit

He isn't fond of the can, but he thinks canned is better than a lot of fresh, like the cooked fruits he recommends. In my opinion frozen is better than fresh because they pick the fruit and freeze it right away. Studies between fresh and frozen fruit show that frozen has far more nutrition than fresh from the grocery store. The longer the fruit sits the more nutrients degrade. In the US fruit first gets picked and stored in a warehouse for who knows how long. Then it is driven for days across country, or by ship or plane around the world. Then it sits in another warehouse before the store takes it and stores in the back. How long it sits in the back before it goes to the front for customers to buy is just ludicrous. Yerrag is lucky to get fresh coconuts and probably a lot of other fresh stuff grown locally.

清貴杉山

He isn't fond of the can, but he thinks canned is better than a lot of fresh, like the cooked fruits he recommends. In my opinion frozen is better than fresh because they pick the fruit and freeze it right away. Studies between fresh and frozen fruit show that frozen has far more nutrition than fresh from the grocery store. The longer the fruit sits the more nutrients degrade. In the US fruit first gets picked and stored in a warehouse for who knows how long. Then it is driven for days across country, or by ship or plane around the world. Then it sits in another warehouse before the store takes it and stores in the back. How long it sits in the back before it goes to the front for customers to buy is just ludicrous. Yerrag is lucky to get fresh coconuts and probably a lot of other fresh stuff grown locally.
Sorry but i cant agree with frozen fruit being more nutritious than fresh fruit,literally dont make sense to me

Sorry but i cant agree with frozen fruit being more nutritious than fresh fruit,literally dont make sense to me

Fresh vs Frozen: Which Is More Nutritious?

Results from studies that have compared the nutrient content of frozen and fresh produce vary slightly.

This is because some studies use freshly harvested produce, which removes the effects of storage and transport time, while others use produce from supermarkets.

Additionally, differences in processing and measuring methods can influence results.

However, in general, the evidence suggests that freezing can preserve nutrient value, and that the nutritional content of fresh and frozen produce is similar (2Trusted Source, 7Trusted Source, 11Trusted Source).

When studies do report nutrient decreases in some frozen produce, they are generally small (3, 8, 12Trusted Source).

Furthermore, levels of vitamin A, carotenoids, vitamin E, minerals and fiber are similar in fresh and frozen produce. They’re generally not affected by blanching (11Trusted Source).

Studies comparing supermarket produce with frozen varieties — such as peas, green beans, carrots, spinach and broccoli — found the antioxidant activity and nutrient content to be similar (5, 13).

"According to a study in the journal Proceedings of the American Society of Horticultural Science, green peas lose 52% of their wet weight in the first 24-48 hours after picking. Another analysis, done roughly a decade ago by food scientists at the University of California Davis, came to a similar conclusion.

By the time we get fruits and veggies home and retrieve them from our refrigerators, therefore, many of these nutrients have fallen to levels lower than those seen in frozen produce, which are chilled almost as soon as they're picked from the fields."

yerrag

i literally see 0 issues with fresh coconut meat and im a bit jealouse rn ngl,want to try that
Fresh vs Frozen: Which Is More Nutritious?

Results from studies that have compared the nutrient content of frozen and fresh produce vary slightly.

This is because some studies use freshly harvested produce, which removes the effects of storage and transport time, while others use produce from supermarkets.

Additionally, differences in processing and measuring methods can influence results.

However, in general, the evidence suggests that freezing can preserve nutrient value, and that the nutritional content of fresh and frozen produce is similar (2Trusted Source, 7Trusted Source, 11Trusted Source).

When studies do report nutrient decreases in some frozen produce, they are generally small (3, 8, 12Trusted Source).

Furthermore, levels of vitamin A, carotenoids, vitamin E, minerals and fiber are similar in fresh and frozen produce. They’re generally not affected by blanching (11Trusted Source).

Studies comparing supermarket produce with frozen varieties — such as peas, green beans, carrots, spinach and broccoli — found the antioxidant activity and nutrient content to be similar (5, 13).

I can buy fresh coconut milk and put them in the freezer for later use.

But when I use it a week later, it does not taste as good as freshly extracted coconut milk used in my bamboo shoot chili curry dish.

That's why those studies can go take a hike lol

I can buy fresh coconut milk and put them in the freezer for later use.

But when I use it a week later, it does not taste as good as freshly extracted coconut milk used in my bamboo shoot chili curry dish.

That's why those studies can go take a hike lol

It can't mold in the freezer.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals