Showstopper Nov. 14 Supermoon Is The Closest Moon To Earth Since 1948

amethyst

The moon looked really cool tonite...thought I'd post

Sheila

Some years ago, I frequented another forum devoted to esoteric matters. After a few years the moderator, who had a strong background in physics rather than woo, realised that certain moon phases and other planetary alignments promoted spats and cranky behaviour - sometimes most out of character - on his forum, usually just before the alignments rather than when they were 'spot on'. I do rather hope things will calm down once this phase passes here as well. And @charlie, thank you for all the good that you do here unsung and unheralded in keeping this forum going technically, financially and as a moderator - a thankless task but one I am so very grateful that you perform. Indeed, hats off to all the moderators who unfailingly assist with this place of pleasant debate. They remain an inspiration in the face of some seriously unthinking provocation.
Sincerely,
Sheila

Blossom

Forum Supporter
realised that certain moon phases and other planetary alignments promoted spats and cranky behaviour - sometimes most out of character - on his forum, usually just before the alignments rather than when they were 'spot on'.
I think people have noticed the moon/behavior connection for so long that it is reflected in the English language by the words lunacy and lunatic.

Sheila

Indeed Blossom, and that may have been before we required gold standard double blind tests to confirm or deny or muddy the obvious!
'Supermoons', blood moons, blue moons, eclipses and other atmospheric phenomena all seemed to affect people's behaviour. Clearly the forum is open to these cycles too as we have debated before and, for more subtle effects, weather induced pressure changes, humidity and 'going tropo' get thrown in the Irrationality Index too.
As always, my best regards to you, lovely real photo, you are as delightful outside as I imagined your insides.
Sheila

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Indeed Blossom, and that may have been before we required gold standard double blind tests to confirm or deny or muddy the obvious!
I think it's a perfect example of knowledge from personal/practical experience!
As always, my best regards to you, lovely real photo, you are as delightful outside as I imagined your insides.
Sheila
Thanks Sheila. After being around three years I figured it was time to show myself. If someone IRL approaches me and asks if I'm Blossom on RPF.com I'll be utterly shocked but completely fine with saying yes.:p

tara

There is also speculation that the stronger moon-pull may have been an influence in the weekend's quakes.

OP
A

amethyst

I think people have noticed the moon/behavior connection for so long that it is reflected in the English language by the words lunacy and lunatic.
I think you are right Blossom! People have been "loony" lately....
As a previously rose crowned lioness, I see you look at the world thru rose colored glasses :D
Nice to see you :)
~Amethyst~ (that's me in the corner, absentmindedly thinking about what I am going to have for lunch Peaty -wise)

OP
A

amethyst

There is also speculation that the stronger moon-pull may have been an influence in the weekend's quakes.
Yeah, I definitely think there is a connection between the moon and earthquakes.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That's so much worse than a mood swing. I hope you and yours remained safe.

I think you are right Blossom! People have been "loony" lately....
As a previously rose crowned lioness, I see you look at the world thru rose colored glasses :D
Nice to see you :)
~Amethyst~ (that's me in the corner, absentmindedly thinking about what I am going to have for lunch Peaty -wise)
Nice to see you too amethyst. You're very photogenic! Wondering what's for lunch comes up daily for me as well but I confess to not looking as picturesque when making that decision! I'm more like bug eyed staring in the fridge.:lol:

OP
A

amethyst

That's so much worse than a mood swing. I hope you and yours remained safe.

Nice to see you too amethyst. You're very photogenic! Wondering what's for lunch comes up daily for me as well but I confess to not looking as picturesque when making that decision! I'm more like bug eyed staring in the fridge.:lol:
I had an old school photographer Italian artiste who made sure the setting was "perfetto" :pI'm thinking "Ok, is it ricotta or mozzarella cheese with linguine? Is that Peaty? Is it legal? Damn, I can hear my stomach grumbling! I'm starving! Oh, hurry up, lemme outa here, I need something to eat!" :hairpull

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Ok, is it ricotta or mozzarella cheese with linguine? Is that Peaty? Is it legal? Damn, I can hear my stomach grumbling! I'm starving! Oh, hurry up, lemme outa here, I need something to eat!" :hairpull
It's all legal IMO especially if it's delicious. :neener

OP
A

amethyst

It's all legal IMO especially if it's delicious. :neener
It's gotta be delicious or I won't eat it! Having a hard time with that oysters suggestion :wtf:

lvysaur

@tyw might have something insightful to say about this, he's written a bit about planetary alignments on his website. I haven't looked into that stuff at all.

OP
A

amethyst

@tyw might have something insightful to say about this, he's written a bit about planetary alignments on his website. I haven't looked into that stuff at all.
Where is that on his website? I couldn't find it. Tyw, can you help us out?

tyw

I still think that regarding Earthquakes, the people of Suspicious Observers put out the best information -- Quake Watch

I personally watch their videos daily just to keep updated -- Suspicious0bservers

The main factors with quakes, if you believe their tracking, are Coronal Hole Alignments that drive huge surges in Outgoing Longwave Radiation (OLR) anomalies. As the name suggests, OLR refers to Electromagnetic Radiation being channel through and out from the Earth's surface. This is what is responsible for "Earthquake Lights", and I think we can say that earthquakes are primarily Electromagnetically driven.

And yes, I know some people mired in the conspiracy theory world are saying that the latest New Zealand quakes were man made ..... and that there was a "Seismic Blasting Ship" off the coast when the Earthquake happened.

My opinion is that if a small group of people can track and predict earthquakes to the level of accuracy that the suspicious observers do, and can make that public, then this sort of knowledge is easily available to governments that run their own research programs. The likelihood of "them" (whoever they are) knowing of the quake ahead of time is high.

The likelihood of them actually causing the quake? I am doubtful, since the energies required are so huge ..... I do not know if man-made devices can even approximate 0.01% of the energy required to move fault lines like we see in this quake, and much less do it with a single ship floating atop the ocean. At best, these people gave a tiny little nudge to a natural charge circuit that had already formed over New Zealand in the days leading up to the quake, but I do not ever think that Humans can be the main drivers of such phenomena.​

Where the Moon comes into this whole picture, I cannot discuss in a generic fashion. There is definitely an effect on everything on this planet because of the Moon, and in particular the Full and New Moon, but effects on individuals have been so variable, that I can't offer a generic solution, nor can I explain it in any Western-Scientific fashion.

Therefore, nup, not much to add :bag:.

-----

@amethyst hope you like the esoterica and speculation in that article ;) I'll remind people that it was just speculation based on existing mechanics, and I like playing with possible implications when fundamental mechanics are altered.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals