Shower Thought, Poor Liver Health = Poor Adaptation To Low Carb?

michael94

Your body has many processes dependent on glucose, clearly. The brain needs some, your immune system relies on glycogen to some extent, response to stress etc.
Now if you're not consuming glucose directly your body can make it via gluconeogenesis. This so happens to take place in the liver and there is evidence to show an unhealthy liver interferes with gluconeogensis.

Looking back I'm trying to explain the huge discrepancy I've seen in how people respond to low carb diets. Some respond amazingly, feel like they have reclaimed their life within just a few weeks. Others never really do well on it and have brain fog, symptoms of impaired immune response etc.This may be due to impaired ability to make your own glucose

Brian

My take on low carb is that it is probably doable for a lot of people if you follow Peat's general guidelines for increasing metabolism. No excessive exercise, Low PUFA, low tryptophan, high gelatin, get lots of alkaline minerals through large amounts of well cooked leafy greens or leaf broth, low muscle meat/iron, and most importantly very high calories especially initially (which is probably one of the biggest low carb mistakes), around 250-300 grams of mostly saturated fat.

From what I can tell this seems to be what people who do well on low carb long term usually follow, such as Stephanie Keto Person on youtube.

For me that is not an enjoyable diet and very hard to maintain in the real world. I also hate the fact it makes you effectively insulin resistant. Going into a carb coma from eating fruit or potato is not what I would call being healthy or resilient.

Last edited:

DaveFoster

I'm pretty sure that the "high" people get from ketosis is just tied to poor glucose metabolism.

You can't crash the car if you never turn on the ignition.

Drareg

Don't ketones or the metabolites act as a hdac inhibitor ? Allows for more gene expressions, essentially fixing electric current making you more connected to the environment ? Sort of like a very mild lsd? It's like natures last chance get you back on track,go find some fruit.

Ray Peat recommends the potato juice for this reason?

You can't crash the car if you never turn on the ignition.

Hi Dave! My brain damage can't wrap around this comment. Can you break it down for me, in context to your whole post?

Thanks! :wtf

Your body has many processes dependent on glucose, clearly. The brain needs some, your immune system relies on glycogen to some extent, response to stress etc.
Now if you're not consuming glucose directly your body can make it via gluconeogenesis. This so happens to take place in the liver and there is evidence to show an unhealthy liver interferes with gluconeogensis.

Looking back I'm trying to explain the huge discrepancy I've seen in how people respond to low carb diets. Some respond amazingly, feel like they have reclaimed their life within just a few weeks. Others never really do well on it and have brain fog, symptoms of impaired immune response etc.This may be due to impaired ability to make your own glucose

:imnewhere

Great post Icecreamlover! It would most definitely explain me...brain fog (damage!), impaired immune system! I'm new here, and still have lots of reading to do, but I don't see alot of talk about the liver/fatty liver. I have to investigate more what Ray has to say how liver problems impact the whole mess we're in. :hurting:

tara

but I don't see alot of talk about the liver/fatty liver
You'll find quite a lot of discussion of fatty liver if you stick it in the search box.

You'll find quite a lot of discussion of fatty liver if you stick it in the search box.

Sounds simple enough! :oops:
Thanks Tara!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals