Shower Head Filter

walker_in_aus

I'm in the market for a shower head filter! I see heaps with vitamin C filters to remove chlorine, and other buzzwords like "Marine Collagen" etc etc. What the frick is Marine Collagen. I tell people I eat collagen and they are all like oh Marine Collagen so good for you... What is it?! Sounds hinky.

I really just want less chlorine on my skin, and still decent water pressure and spray width. Anyone got any advice? Happy to spend over AU$100 but under AU$250...

meatbag

I'm in the market for a shower head filter! I see heaps with vitamin C filters to remove chlorine, and other buzzwords like "Marine Collagen" etc etc. What the frick is Marine Collagen. I tell people I eat collagen and they are all like oh Marine Collagen so good for you... What is it?! Sounds hinky.

I really just want less chlorine on my skin, and still decent water pressure and spray width. Anyone got any advice? Happy to spend over AU$100 but under AU$250...

Well I think you need to find out if your water source uses chloramines or just chlorine. If it uses chloramines you have to get a more expensive filter.

Last edited:
OP
walker_in_aus

walker_in_aus

lol who knows maybe they found a way to profit of our dead ocean friends washing up on shore lately :twisted::(:evil:. Well I think you need to find out if your water source uses chloramines or just chlorine. If it uses chloramines you have to get a more expensive filter. I use a showerhead filter from Pelican, I think it's the PSF-1. Seems to work well as I can totally taste and smell the difference
Thank-you, I happen to have a contact inside my water supply so I can easily find that out.

Should have done this years ago. I grew up on tank water but since 18 it's been chlorinated and fluoridated. :(

churchmouth

I wonder what other contaminants these filters are dropping back into the water. I think maybe the best strategy is to have really short showers and stress the skin as little as possible.

I rinse my hair (and bit of skin) with bottles of filtered RO water at the end of the shower. Mainly as a 'just incase' if the hard water here is doing something bad to my scalp.

Last edited:

Dan W

I really just want less chlorine on my skin, and still decent water pressure and spray width.
I'm the same, and I'll second the Sprite suggestion. I have the cheap plastic one, and I've been happy with it. I only have a vague understanding of them, but I think they take standard activated carbon filtration and add zinc/copper to convert chlorine -> chloride. You can see some test data and the filtration certification they meet.

Adnada

Another Sprite user here! I bought their solid brass one over a year ago. Whenever I shower elsewhere my hair gets frizzy and I can also smell the difference.

mujuro

I bought a Sprite filter a few years ago. I think it was the Sprite original hand held. The difference in smell and taste is instantly noticeable. Similar to drinking filtered water and unfiltered.

OP
walker_in_aus

walker_in_aus

Looks like I'm getting a Sprite then, they do look pretty good. Ironic that my initial searching doesn't bring them up through google.

Herbie

Yes I did see it! I just meant that I've been googling for shower filters for ages and I only ever get two brands, neither sprite. I just always assumed google told you everything, mistakeeeeeeeeeeeee

Oh sure, its interesting that they don't show up even though they are quite popular. I found out about psi filters from a friend.