Shouldn't bags have some small holes?

youngandold

If paper bags had some small holes then some fresh air (with Oxygen) would get in thus enabling to bag-breathe for longer periods without worrying about CO2 getting to high or Oxygen getting too low or worrying about getting the nose in or out.

tara

I think the idea with breathing in a paper bag is to only do it as long as it is cofortable, to briefly raise CO2 and do it often enough to gradually raise CO2 set point.
You are probably right, that you could do it for longer if there was a little air circulating. Worth a try.
There are other ways to get reduced airflow to increase CO2 without completely shutting off air/oxygen supply, too, that don't take any effort or thought once you've got them in place. Eg. sheet over head while going to sleep, with as much or little air gap as needed to keep it comfortable. Or dedicated breathing masks. Someone posted about partially obstructing nostrils with tape. Or breathing exercises, but these take time and concentration.
Tape on the mouth is great for encouraging nasal breathing. I taped my mouth at night for more than a year - it took that long to retrain - now I don't need to except when I have a cold. Made a big difference.

milk_lover

I simulate paper bag breathing with my blanket. I cover my whole body and put the blanket under my feet and head and the rest of body. I suppose there will be "holes" allowing fresh air to enter.. I can stay there comfortably for a few minutes and I feel my heart beating (lyrics of a song, right?)..

tara

milk_lover said:
post 112196 I simulate paper bag breathing with my blanket. I cover my whole body and put the blanket under my feet and head and the rest of body. I suppose there will be "holes" allowing fresh air to enter.. I can stay there comfortably for a few minutes and I feel my heart beating (lyrics of a song, right?)..
I think this may simulate an old American Indian method of averting sickness.

Last edited by a moderator:

messtafarian

Don't worry about this youngandold. Just stop breathing into the bag when you feel uncomfortable. Your senses will kick in and make sure you find enough oxygen and you are safe.

milk_lover

tara said:
post 112206
milk_lover said:
post 112196 I simulate paper bag breathing with my blanket. I cover my whole body and put the blanket under my feet and head and the rest of body. I suppose there will be "holes" allowing fresh air to enter.. I can stay there comfortably for a few minutes and I feel my heart beating (lyrics of a song, right?)..
I think this may simulate an old American Indian method of averting sickness.
Nice! Can you share some info about their method?

tara

milk_lover said:
post 112629 Nice! Can you share some info about their method?
I came upon description two or three years ago, and haven't been able to find it again. The author had travelled around and studied some ways of Native Americans. He observed that if a member of a party started to sicken, they would leave the group and find a place to hide, and wrap themselves in their cloak, whole body including head. I can't remember the detail, but there was some deliberate restriction of air exchange, and they would have been sweating. If I remember right, it was for a few hours, and it was seen as averting beginning colds and flus.
I think it was the same author who observed that mothers would always make sure their babies mouths were closed after feeding, which was not common practice in England, as far as he could see. There were some other descriptions of breathing practice. and he attributed the good health and sound mind of the Native Americans in part to these practices.

milk_lover

tara said:
post 112863
milk_lover said:
post 112629 Nice! Can you share some info about their method?
I came upon description two or three years ago, and haven't been able to find it again. The author had travelled around and studied some ways of Native Americans. He observed that if a member of a party started to sicken, they would leave the group and find a place to hide, and wrap themselves in their cloak, whole body including head. I can't remember the detail, but there was some deliberate restriction of air exchange, and they would have been sweating. If I remember right, it was for a few hours, and it was seen as averting beginning colds and flus.
I think it was the same author who observed that mothers would always make sure their babies mouths were closed after feeding, which was not common practice in England, as far as he could see. There were some other descriptions of breathing practice. and he attributed the good health and sound mind of the Native Americans in part to these practices.
Thanks tara for this info!

Agent207

Isn't the same effect being achieved with short high intensity interval training? Sprinting i.e. at max effort for 10-15secs max. I feel the same CO2 blood rising effects without generating too much lactic acid in that time frame. Getting rest enough and repeat.

milk_lover

Agent207 said:
post 112931 Isn't the same effect being achieved with short high intensity interval training? Sprinting i.e. at max effort for 10-15secs max. I feel the same CO2 blood rising effects without generating too much lactic acid in that time frame. Getting rest enough and repeat.
Agent, I just saw this study: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212877815001763
It claims that High intensity interval training improves liver and adipose tissue insulin sensitivity. While it did not mention CO2 directly, CO2 level might correlate, I believe, positively with insulin sensitivity. It's a new study, I suggest you read it.

Agent207

Good catch !!

"Lastly, we demonstrated that in contrast to metformin, HIIT exercise training improves insulin sensitivity independently of the AMPK-ACC signaling pathway. Future studies identifying the mechanism by which HIIT improves insulin sensitivity may reveal novel strategies to improve glucose homeostasis in individuals with type 2 diabetes."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals