Should You Avoid Coffee If You Already Have High Cortisol / Adrenaline Issues?

On the one hand I've read that coffee does not increase cortisol in healthy subjects, but on the other that it can keep cortisol elevated if already at an elevated level?

Should one wait until cortisol and/or adrenaline have returned to normal before starting regular coffee consumption?

RobertJM

Just start really low if you have to. Instant coffee is really easy to manage. One teaspoon is roughly 80mg of caffeine. That's easily enough to stress your body out if you can't handle it. If I was that sensitive to caffeine I'd start off with a third of a teaspoon, and I'd have a glass of OJ as a side drink. You could just use table sugar, but remember that table sugar brings nothing to table other than a metabolic push at the expense of taking resources from your body.

Chronic use I would guess, if you can find an intake which increases metabolic rate/benefits, would eventually normalise cortisol/adrenalin. That's the idea of increasing metabolic rate. Thyroid antagonises cortisol/adrenalin. So getting coffee to work for you is very good thing. Peat describes caffeine (or might even be coffee) as an adaptogen in his article.

That's my thoughts on it anyway.

After 5 days of caffeine abstinence, caffeine challenge doses caused a robust increase in cortisol across the test day (p < .0001). In contrast, 5 days of caffeine intake at 300 mg/day and 600 mg/day abolished the cortisol response to the initial 9:00 AM caffeine dose, although cortisol levels were again elevated between 1:00 PM and 7:00 PM (p = .02 to .002) after the second caffeine dose taken at 1:00 PM. Cortisol levels declined to control levels during the evening sampling period.
Caffeine Stimulation of Cortisol Secretion Across the Waking Hours in Relation to Caffeine Intake Levels

L

lollipop

I think it comes down to metabolic health and liver health. Coffee consumption gives direct feedback about these two. When they are not healthy, coffee can negatively affect you as stress. The conundrum? Coffee helps strengthen the liver.

theLaw

I think it comes down to metabolic health and liver health. Coffee consumption gives direct feedback about these two. When they are not healthy, coffee can negatively affect you as stress. The conundrum? Coffee helps strengthen the liver.

+1!!!:thumbsup:

+ Taurine
+ Thiamine
+ Aspirin
+ Thyroid
+ Niacinamide
+ Fructose + Sucrose

Red Bull!!!:D

ddjd

On the one hand I've read that coffee does not increase cortisol in healthy subjects, but on the other that it can keep cortisol elevated if already at an elevated level?

Should one wait until cortisol and/or adrenaline have returned to normal before starting regular coffee consumption?
People already high in Cortisol who drink coffee will most likely get terrible insomnia I would think

Julles

If I drink coffee two days in a row, even if only in the morning, I start to get trouble sleeping and my mind starts to get stressed or going in circles over nothing.
Stopping coffee resolves this and I can feel the effects of adenosine rising throughout the day. Also feelings seem to be "unfrozen", emotion starts to move within the chest, something I have trouble since ever for being somewhat 'cold'.

Probably my metabolic health is not so good yet. But this gives me some clues.