Should We Want To Stop Aging?

Gadsie

Lately I have been thinking about the fact that a big part of the ray peat diet is focused on stopping (or rather slowing, but actually aiming to stopping as much as possible) aging. Of course, aging sucks, wrinkles, ugliness, low energy etc.

However, let's say, hypothetically, you manage to completely stop the aging process, this would result in an insanely fearful life, because now that you will not die a natural death anymore, the only way possible to die would be trauma; car crash, terrorist attack, etc.

Now, we take minor risks in our daily life by commuting, walking outside, going on planes, because we know that "we're gonna die anyway", so you're willing to take the minuscule risk of dying to perform these activities. But if you know for sure that you are immortal unless you get shot, or fall of a building, I'm not so sure if we could live life without huge fear everyday.

Just a little thought I've been having for a while, and wanted to share.

Last edited:

Constatine

Lately I have been thinking about the fact that a big part of the ray peat diet is focused on stopping (or rather slowing, but actually aiming to stopping as much as possible) aging. Of course, aging sucks, wrinkles, ugliness, low energy etc.

However, let's say, hypothetically, you manage to completely stop the aging process, this would result in an insanely fearful life, because now that you will not die a natural death anymore, the only way possible to die would be trauma; car crash, terrorist attack, etc.

Now, we take minor risks in our daily life by commuting, walking outside, going on planes, because we now that "we're gonna die anyway", so you're willing to take the minuscule risk of dying to perform these activities. But if you know for sure that you are immortal unless you get shot, or fall of a building, I'm not so sure if we could live life without huge fear everyday.

If one to were achieve a complete stopping of aging then their mental health would be so perfect (as mood is dependent on health) that I doubt they would live in insane fear.

schultz

If one to were achieve a complete stopping of aging then their mental health would be so perfect (as mood is dependent on health) that I doubt they would live in insane fear.

Haha I was thinking something similar. If someone was fearful of dying they wouldn't live a super long life because of the high stress hormones.

Optimus

Interesting topic, and I thought on this too a while back. I think following would matter much more:
- Since there will always be 'another day' to accomplish something, most would end up doing nothing. I believe currently a large number of people 'act' since they recognise time is running out. There would be lack of motivation and hence boredom
- Overpopulation etc

bcf.png

tankasnowgod

Now, we take minor risks in our daily life by commuting, walking outside, going on planes, because we know that "we're gonna die anyway", so you're willing to take the minuscule risk of dying to perform these activities. But if you know for sure that you are immortal unless you get shot, or fall of a building, I'm not so sure if we could live life without huge fear everyday.

Sooooo, rather than die like Joe Rollino (lived to 104 and still walked 5 miles every day, till he was struck by a van and died), you're saying you would rather have your mental and physical health slowly fade away while dealing with intense mental and physical pain?

I want the former. The slow decline of health is actually my worst nightmare. By the way, I completely disagree that succumbing to a degenerative disease (which happen to be associated with aging, not necessarily caused) is in any way a "natural" death.

Last edited:

kayumochi

The world is full of physically healthy people who are psychologically miserable. And I have met those sick on their deathbed with perfect peace of mind ...

Tenacity

The world is full of physically healthy people who are psychologically miserable. And I have met those sick on their deathbed with perfect peace of mind ...
Perfect health would combine both perfect physical health and perfect mental health.

Stopping aging should be a priority if you want to end human suffering. If being functionally immortal leads to people being a little more careful in their daily lives, good - far too many people die young from accidents anyway.

kayumochi

Perfect health would combine both perfect physical health and perfect mental health.

Stopping aging should be a priority if you want to end human suffering. If being functionally immortal leads to people being a little more careful in their daily lives, good - far too many people die young from accidents anyway.

You will age and you will die. The only relevant question is how will you live your life?

Luann

[QUOTE="Gadsie, post: 234595, member: 4359"Now, we take minor risks in our daily life by commuting, walking outside, going on planes, because we know that "we're gonna die anyway", so you're willing to take the minuscule risk of dying to perform these activities. But if you know for sure that you are immortal unless you get shot, or fall of a building, I'm not so sure if we could live life without huge fear everyday.
[/QUOTE]

Well, you can control the risk you take, to a degree, by learning from your gut and having a great reflex in the face of danger. A healthy person with a sharp mind has a better chance of keeping himself safe.

mangoes

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

--
But yeah I think stop aging ASAP. Who's gonna sit around scared and depressed about the possibility of getting hit by a car?

Every friend I've had who's watched their Grandparents live long and die of "natural" aging said they would rather kill themselves at about 60 before getting into that state.

I think the benefits of immortality would override the (if any) cons by far. Overpopulation wouldn't be a problem.

I would rather get shot or die quickly some other way than to have a slow suffering death from an illness, and look decrepit while in that process. That is not a nice memory for my loved ones to see me go down hill like that.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals