Should We Push The Body Beyond Our Sensitivities?

RisingSun

There is something in milk that upsets my stomach.

Not sure it's the lactose: even when I pop 5 lactase caps the rumbling and discomfort is still there starting from 4 hours after ingesting milk up to 12 hours after.

I always hear from alternative health gurus that if you give in your sensitivities (add layers when you feel cold, only eat the foods you tolerate), it only makes you weaker.

Is there any truth to that? Should I add back dairy in small amounts everyday until I tolerate it?

Is the reasoning the same with gluten? It upsets my stomach, should I still push? Why is it not recommended by Peat: if gluten is bad, shouldn't it be good to push it and make us less weak?

thomas00

Have you tried lactose free milk?

I've always found the lactase tablets to be pretty lousy in comparison to the ready-made lactose free products.

sunraiser

There is something in milk that upsets my stomach.

Not sure it's the lactose: even when I pop 5 lactase caps the rumbling and discomfort is still there starting from 4 hours after ingesting milk up to 12 hours after.

I always hear from alternative health gurus that if you give in your sensitivities (add layers when you feel cold, only eat the foods you tolerate), it only makes you weaker.

Is there any truth to that? Should I add back dairy in small amounts everyday until I tolerate it?

Is the reasoning the same with gluten? It upsets my stomach, should I still push? Why is it not recommended by Peat: if gluten is bad, shouldn't it be good to push it and make us less weak?

It took me a few weeks to be able to tolerate milk again after being dairy free for a year or so.
Cheese and yogurt were almost no issue though.

I would say the avoidance side of things does make you weaker. Your microbiome will adjust to what you're eating but certain things are naturally more difficult to digest.

Milk specifically is difficult for a few reasons in my personal experience. Poor metabolism often means low stomach acid and liquid calories pose a problem in this state.

Chilled foods also cause digestive distress and can be more of a strain on the metabolism (maybe because the body is trying to retain internal temperature? I'm unsure).

Chewing is the main stimulator of digestion and stomach acid production so milk alone bypasses this.

I have worked around it by having milk only with food and occasionally heating it. If I have it with a little granola and banana or whatever I'm craving then I properly chew and salivate so it warms in my mouth.

I personally stick to unhomogenised but not organic at current. There's an adaptation period to digest A1 vs A2 milk so once you find a milk you enjoy I'd try to stick to it. I personally prefer Jersey milk that's unhomogenised ("graham's gold" in uk).

My reactions to food have been so variable in a short space of time that I cannot blame the foods - it's my varying metabolism. I find the biggest challenge to be via insulin resistance issues - it really cripples digestion in my experience. So eating white bread without meat protein for example, or lots of oj can be an issue. Milk and gluten seem to be extremely insulinergic (is that a word?) foods in my experience so combining is important - this is how humans thrive! Processing is also an issue - i think perhaps the fine flour of wheat causes problems for some people as it digests way too quickly, so breads with bran or less fine flour might be easier to digest (paradoxically!)

I crave grains (wholegrains too) so I eat wholegrain rye sourdough, usually toasted. It occasionally makes me feel a little worse but on the whole it's beneficial to me!